U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 6,235 times

Advertisements

SoCal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 38,265 times
I can't talk for Cali, but I can talk for South Florida. Don't move here! It's horrible- no jobs, people are rude and snobby, out of control prices, flat land, bad drivers, humid and muggy weather, bugs, hardly anything to do and no culture.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM

6,475 posts, read 15,649,392 times
Default It can't be that bad, can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbel View Post
I can't talk for Cali, but I can talk for South Florida. Don't move here! It's horrible- no jobs, people are rude and snobby, out of control prices, flat land, bad drivers, humid and muggy weather, bugs, hardly anything to do and no culture.
That sounds just horrible! But surely S. FL has some things to mitigate that, like good public education, low crime, good public transportation, few mosquitoes, lack of highway congestion and the absence of poisonous toads, right?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,028,877 times
With me and mine we like the beach. Clean clear aqua water where fish are visable and the sand at the bottom is clear to see in 20 feet depths.... Beeeeeuatiful Love it!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,662,866 times
Well, that's a very broad question. Florida has nicer beaches (for low key activities such as sun bathing or general swimming), in my opinion, but the coastline is boring compared to Southern California. Some people here might think this sounds a little ridiculous, but I'd rather sit on a bluff on the CA coast, read a Steinbeck novel, watch the surf come in, and take in the spectacle that is the Pacific Coast than swim in the warm beaches of South Florida. It's all in what you prefer.

Once you get away from the coastline, however, this really isn't much of a competition. Southern California has so much more to offer, it's really not a fair comparison at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,603,565 times
I also want to mention, that with my strong preference for Southern California over South Florida (I've lived in both), I have to add that I don't enjoy swimming in the ocean, and that the water temperature or swimming quality doesn't matter to me. I've seen several people say that they prefer FL because of these reasons, and to be honest, I wouldn't of thought of that.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 19,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Did you visit one beach and then judge the entire state of CA on that? Sounds like some crappy LA beach or something but that isn't what most of Ca's or even Southern CA's beaches are like.

Water is definitely colder than FL but it still gets in the 70's, which is fine for most people who don't need bathtub water.

Yeah this water is "pitch black":

the water visibility at this beach is usually anywhere from 15-25 feet:

Actually Northern Florida is colder in winter than Southern CA.
Where the heck you getting ur info? We are talking about socal first of all, and I've lived in ca all my life, no where in ca is the water clear blue and warm like it is in sofl, anywhere anytime. North fl is colder than socal in the winter? You are smoking crack. The water in ca is by far the dirtiest, coldest water on the planet, suitable for swimming only by surfers as there are waves. Socal is astronomically overpriced in every way, real estate, state sales and income tax, people in la are either really stupid or real big holes or both. Florida however, is like living in a beautiful reality, not just Miami, north Florida too. people are down to earth, friendly and are not out to use you, quite the opposite. Socal has mountains? Who gives a rats but? All the mountains do us trap all the smog in la and it is actually a bug desert, the palm trees were all transplanted. Let me just say why anyone would want to live in desert climate is beyond me, it sucks!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,125,540 times
I think the entire state of Florida vs. Southern California would be a much fairer match up because SoCal just blows South Florida out of the water in almost every category.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,537,889 times
It's a matter of opinion. Some like Fla, some like Socal. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM

177 posts, read 260,491 times
south florida is basically latin america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.