U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,814,858 times

Advertisements

I'll take Southern California. I can wake up in the morning (assumine I have the financial means ) and ask myself: "hmmmmm do I want to go to the beach? what about hitting the slopes? nah, maybe wine country? well, I think I'll go out to the desert...OH, I KNOW! I won't have my afternoon interrupted by a raging thunderstorm! "
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM

5,350 posts, read 8,967,881 times
SoCal just has such diverse and varied topography. Rugged mountains, valleys, cliffs, etc.... Summer weather is nice.

SoFla has got nicer winter weather than SoCal and overall cleaner, more beautiful beaches and water.
but it's flat and blah.

It's hard to say- but overall because California embodies so much more diversity, I'd have to say SoCal for the win.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,814,858 times
What I don't like about Florida beaches is that when I get out of the water I'm coated in a crusty layer of salt. That's annoying, also the sand on some of those beaches can be so fine it's almost like powder. Yeah South Florida has better winter weather than SoCal but that's only 3 months and really SoCal is quite pleasant in the winter anyway. I'll take 9 months of perfect weather with 3 months of cool occasionally rainy weather over 3 months of perfect weather and 9 months of living in a sauna

Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 AM

16 posts, read 25,036 times
SoCal for better people, cities, beaches, wildlife, and smart people. SoFla for warm water and relaxation.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 AM

28,899 posts, read 51,578,355 times
The only way Florida remotely compares to Southern California is when it comes to its immaculate Panhandle beaches, many of which are pretty amazing. But south Florida? No way. Five feet away from the strand, Florida turns into a whole lotta ugly in terms of vegetation. And it doesn't help that willy-nilly development threw up a untold hundreds of thousands of cheaply made buildings that are showing signs of serious decay.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM

591 posts, read 762,198 times
South Florida is so much less polluted and has so much less traffic than Southern California that it is ultimately more liveable.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,670,019 times
Here is why I like Miami vs. Cali / LA. You can truly live a beach / city life. In LA, to get to the beach to the city can be a marathon. In miami, you can live in South Beach, have a more affordable place right by the water, and work in miami. Yes, there is more diversity in California, and if you can live on the beach in San Diego, well that just about takes the cake. But in Miami, I like that you can have a beach town vibe in south beach, and be ten minutes away from the city and work area. Also, I love being able to access everything on foot in SoBe.

I live in Soho, NYC and just felt that something was missing everytime I was out in LA.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 74,551 times
Cali has hills, mountains and the ocean. It reminds me of the Mediterranean. I live in Florida and the beaches here are excellent. From what I've seen, Cali beaches can't compare to what we have here. The water is cold and dark. But Cali has more opportunities, a more cosmopolitan scene. Florida is flat but don't call its vegetation "ugly". You must have never heard of the Everglades if you complain of lack of vegetation here.

In the end probably Cali wins...but by not too much.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,653,210 times
I've never been to FL, but from what I've heard it's not a good place to live year-round: extreme heat and humidity and an insane number of biting insects will make your life miserable. Also, alligators are a real threat to humans, apparently, so even if you don't get eaten, the possibility will contribute to your stress level.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 24,662 times
Southern is still pretty warm in the winter,many times a month when its high pressure in the winter,the temperature goes into the 80's for like 15 days a month,usually when it rains its in the 60's,other wise when its not raining its usually in the high 70's and 80's.one time i rember at the start of febuary the temp went up to 89 degress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.