Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Drover - their clam pizza is pretty good too.
Clam pizza sounds about as appealing as a ketchup twinkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Clam pizza sounds about as appealing as a ketchup twinkie.
Don't knock it till ya tried it. New Haven clam pizza is a wonderful thing.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Don't knock it till ya tried it. New Haven clam pizza is a wonderful thing.
If it's all the same to you, I'm not interested in trying something that's as appealing to my own personal tastes as a ketchup twinkie.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM
j33

Fair enough. I think it is wonderful, but I grew up on East Coast food as well as Midwestern food (having family from New England results in warped taste buds I suppose), most Chicagoans I know have a similar reaction as you to the idea. They don't know what they are missing ... so all the more for me, bring on the clams.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let me guess, they live in either Bucktown or Wicker Park, and they want to take you to Piece. If nothing else, their house-brewed beer is quite good.

Pretty close. One lives in Bucktown and one around Ashland and Grand. By Damatos's.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I think it is wonderful, but I grew up on East Coast food as well as Midwestern food (having family from New England results in warped taste buds I suppose), most Chicagoans I know have a similar reaction as you to the idea. They don't know what they are missing ... so all the more for me, bring on the clams.
Yes, I have a very good idea what I'm missing, just as you probably won't have to actually have a ketchup twinkie to know what you're missing. Seriously, can I not have my own food preferences without being patronized?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
j33

I'm not patronizing you. New Haven style clam pizza is pretty popular stuff, I was just encouraging you to try it. I've often been encouraged to try stuff I thought I would hate, and have been delighted to be wrong. I guess you and I simply have a different approach to food, and a different idea of what it means to be patronized.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Drover - no patronizing there,,, just honest friendly discussion via j33, 'eh?

Now, the following is NOT friendly - you smucks that are dissing St Louis style pizzas, esp. those that ain't never tried it.... pfffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...

Ok, seriously (and I may get in troubles w/ my StL peeps for this ) but I do not like the provel style/based pizza, such as what Imo's creates - not my taste. HOWEVER, there are many many local StL pizzerias that serve a most excellent pizza, and they are not of a Chicago, NY, or New Haven style,,, just a local thin-crust excellent pizza.

With all that said, give me a slice, of any style pizza [no veggies tho'! I'm a carnivore ], and you've a friend ... there ain't been a style that I've not liked - but do prefer the thinner crust versions.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
With all that said, give me a slice, of any style pizza [no veggies tho'! I'm a carnivore ], and you've a friend ... there ain't been a style that I've not liked - but do prefer the thinner crust versions.

Amen, I like damned near any pizza except that Papa Johns stuff. And I like Tombstones alot, the best bar pizza.

I like my pizza with sausage, green peppers amd mushrooms, sometimes onions but the onions gotta be sliced thin and well cooked.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,212 times
Smile Here's my 2 cents...

Quote:
I'm not patronizing you. New Haven style clam pizza is pretty popular stuff, I was just encouraging you to try it. I've often been encouraged to try stuff I thought I would hate, and have been delighted to be wrong. I guess you and I simply have a different approach to food, and a different idea of what it means to be patronized.
I'm with you, j33! I have never had a clam pizza but I've been pleasantly surprised when I've ventured outside of my "familiar food zone". I'll never forget years ago when my co-workers were taking orders to go pick up for lunch and most of them were ordering FISH TACOS! Well, at first, I said, "Fish...tacos...this does not compute!" They convinced me to try them, though, and I was so glad they did! They were delicious! Truth be told, though, they aren't the same from one restaurant to another and I learned that Encinada Style is the best. Just FYI.

Years ago, my husband came home and said he was going to make clam chowder. I said, "Fine but you should know that I've never tried them and can't imagine having them in my mouth so I'm just warning you that you may have to eat it yourself." Well, he made it and I fell in LOVE with it and have been making it ever since!!!

True to my gender, I used a whole lotta words to say, "Right on, j33!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Drover - no patronizing there,,, just honest friendly discussion via j33, 'eh?

Now, the following is NOT friendly - you smucks that are dissing St Louis style pizzas, esp. those that ain't never tried it.... pfffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...

Ok, seriously (and I may get in troubles w/ my StL peeps for this ) but I do not like the provel style/based pizza, such as what Imo's creates - not my taste. HOWEVER, there are many many local StL pizzerias that serve a most excellent pizza, and they are not of a Chicago, NY, or New Haven style,,, just a local thin-crust excellent pizza.

Darn! Here I am in SW MO and I've never tried a StL pizza! Sorry, Shadow...I wish I had but I haven't. If I ever do, though, I'm with you...what's up with provolone on a pizza? (Did I understand that correctly?) Anyway, MrG is "a thin crust guy" so he'd probably like the StL pizza. We went to a Greek restaurant with the OTFCC and had pizza last week and he was disappointed because for him, there's only one way to eat pizza...thin crust, tomato sauce, no fancy cheeses and just pepperoni. What'r'ya'gonna'do??? Gotta luv 'im!

Anyway, I wish I had tried the various pizzas mentioned so I could vote but alas, I haven't and so I can't. That didn't keep me from joining in the thread tho'. Hahaha!

Carry on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.