Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
pfffft, the chicago people don't know squat
As if that wasn't obvious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I find it funny that Chicagoans find the need to attack New Haven style pizza...perhaps you've finally found a smaller city to pick on since you have been a wannabe NY city lap dog since the creation of this country.

Or your just jealous or clueless.

Perhaps all three.

Here is the reality. You've probably never had fresh clams dug a few hours prior, cooked properly and are thinking of fishy tasting rubber bands...that's what most people think. Not so.

Think of the most tender, juicy piece of chicken you can find with a little twist of flavor and you got it. Fresh properly prepared clams are heavenly.

This is also New England...New Haven is a shoreline city...duh. Pepe's has had more presidents and celebrities eat there than Chicago has produced and it aint because it makes people "puke".

Seriously.

When in the sometimes two hour wait for pizza at Pepe's you'll find you are standing in line with people who have driven sometimes 3-4 hours away just to get the pie. Like or hate the pizza, it's a fact. What part of that you don't get is beyond me.

As for burning the crust, I'll forgive your lack of culinary knowledge on what happens to wheat flour when mildy burnt like that...you can't replace that flavor by piling on more crap to disguise the lack of a proper crust...ala a three foot thick pizza.

In Italy (Which I am fist generation of and have family still), it's about using what's A. Local (ala clams) B. Fresh and C. Keeping it simple. All the things I don't see in your "Italian" pizza but Pepe's contains.

But what do I know...
You've obviously ignored everything I've posted. Please don't paint all of us with the same brush.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
You've obviously ignored everything I've posted. Please don't paint all of us with the same brush.
Agreed, and no offense to the more balanced people...just giving it back a little.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
You nailed it right on the head when you used the word "SACRILEGE". That's what that so-called "New Haven style" pizza really is, IT'S SACRILEGIOUS! And those pizza-makers, and pizza-lovers, would be dealt with 1920's style(taken for a little ride) here in CHI. LOL LOL

Taken for a ride by who, the Wicker Park tough guys? Guys that work at Starbucks with manpurses, careful beards, ironic T-shirts and non-threatening tatoos?

I wouldn't presume to tell east coast Italian people how to make a pizza any more than I'd tell people from Elmwood Park or Taylor Street.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 23,676 times
Default It's not just about taste...

It has to be roof-of-the-mouth-blistering hot and running-down-your-arm wet. Thin crust, red sauce, cheese, oregano. Period. Maybe some meat (sausage, pep) once in awhile. New York - yes. Jersey Shore - yes. Philadelphia - okay.

I love living in the Pacific Northwest, but what they call pizza here should be against the law. Pineapple?! LETTUCE?!?!?! And you can hold it vertically like a puffy Frisbee. Can't fold it to save your life. No, no, no, not pizza.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
I think it's cute, not to mention ridiculous, that St. Louis and New Haven believe they have a legitimate style of pizza. PLEASE! LOL! Don't forget about Scranton style. LOL!

I prefer "Oil City" style pizza.. It's a little greasy though..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
New York style. I also learned from a New Yorker the trick of folding my pizza slice in half to create a mini-calzone that keeps the pizza hot and cuts down on the mess. Mmmmmm.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I find it funny that Chicagoans find the need to attack New Haven style pizza...perhaps you've finally found a smaller city to pick on since you have been a wannabe NY city lap dog since the creation of this country.

Or your just jealous or clueless.

Perhaps all three.
So you resort to attacks on Chicago since we laughed at your pizza? If you want to go that route..... if Chicago is NYC's "lap dog", than New Haven is the pimple that the tick is sucking on, on Chicago's a$$.

Seriously, New Haven style (or whatever) sounds absolutely disgusting. I cant help the fact that I get gag reflexes when I hear the world "clam pizza".

And whats there to be "jealous" about? Some ugly, non-traditional topping-having "pizza" in your pics? You go ahead and keep telling yourself that it tastes good, okay? Meanwhile Ill enjoy my deep dish Chicago style pizza. You know the kind... thick crust that tastes Heavenly, fresh tomato chunks, perfect sauce, cheese so thick that it makes your jaw tired from chewing it.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
New York style. I also learned from a New Yorker the trick of folding my pizza slice in half to create a mini-calzone that keeps the pizza hot and cuts down on the mess. Mmmmmm.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That's NOT a calzone! Damned, Pizza Hut marketing crap.

If you've ever had a real calzone you would see the difference. Trust me, it's not a folded up pizza!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
cheese so thick that it makes your jaw tired from chewing it.
That's disgusting! LOL

Typical "Americanizing" of classic world foods. Sigh...

I'd hate to see your version of how Mexican food should be!

I'm glad to see you admit that you think food is "disgusting" by simply seeing it and never having had it though...brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.