Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times

Advertisements

Umm, a Kentucky accent I suppose. Though I've been told by some Northerners that I don't sound Southern.

My result is "The Midland."

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm not from these places though. Hmmm

Last edited by InLondon; 07-17-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
Im from Northeast Ohio,and I now live in Colorado Springs which is 60 miles south of Denver.It siad that I have a Midland accent.Heres my results in order

Midland
North Central
The West
Boston
The Inland North
The South
Philadelphia
The Northeast

For some reason everybody always say to me that I have a southern accent.I have alot of relatives from rural western Pennsylvania,so that might be the reason why I have somewhat of a southern accent.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I just took the test, I don't understand the results at all. Im originally from southeastern Mass between Boston and Providence. I do have an accent and it definitely gives me away as being from Mass. This test result said I have an accent from Minnesota, North Central accent. It then said people probably ask me if I am Canadian alot. I think a drunk dreamed this test up.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Philadelphia
The South
North Central
The West
Boston
The Inland North
The Northeast

---

Born and raised a New Yorker. lol.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The Midland

The Inland North

North Central

The West

The South

Philadelphia

Boston

The Northeast
I would say that's about right. But I have had a few people mistake my accent for New York or Southerner before. Must be the way I say certain words.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
The South
Midland
Inland North
Northeast
Philadelphia
West
North Central
Boston

Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,179 times
The South

Mine was right on the money. LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 PM

37 posts, read 45,432 times
It said I have a Philly accent which is pretty accurate because I used to live in NJ and my mom was from Philly.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
No surprise my accent is southern since I'm from Lousiiana. One thing I might add: if you don't talk like the locals, YOU have an accent! No matter where you live or you're from. Although the Midland accent seems the most clear sounding of any, it is still an accent.

Now here is one for the books: A town in eastern La named Rayville is pronounced "RAY vl" in Northeastern La and "Ray ville" in NW La. I notice everything ending with a ville is pronounced like that including Louisville, a major thoroughfare in Monroe. Like Loo uh vl Kentucky. Yet 95 miles west of there we pronounce the ville. When I go to Monroe, I am careful to say those places like the locals do, because it automatically sets me off as an outsider.

Another word is acorn. Pronounced around here akern. No corn in the word. Maybe these different pronounciations mean some people in the South actually like to speak faster than they are known for. And a hickory tree is known as a "hickernut" tree

Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Born and raised in Michigan, 100% Inland North. No surprise there.

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Midland
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The South
The West
Boston
North Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.