Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Don't even consider going to Texas ! You'll hate yourself.
If your idea of culture is rodeos,football and bar-b-ques and
you like trying to tie your shoe the same way your neighbor
does [because if you don't you'll be ostrasized] then you'll
like Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoy404 View Post
So I suppose he would love California where he could make it big in Hollywood and lay on beaches all the day?
Exactly. 100% all stupid stereotype, 0% reality (unless he's planning to move to some tiny rural town maybe)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Don't even consider going to Texas ! You'll hate yourself.
If your idea of culture is rodeos,football and bar-b-ques and
you like trying to tie your shoe the same way your neighbor
does [because if you don't you'll be ostrasized] then you'll
like Texas.

I hate Texas and i'm getting out, but this post is ridiculously inaccurate. Your perception of Texas seems to stem from movies and TV shows.

As for the original question, I think the OP would not like Texas and should go with the UK due to the type of people that live here, the weather and the mindset of the people as compared to what he is use to. If coming to the US, a good choice would be to choose a location that is more diverse and open minded than Texas if you are a foreigner.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
Default ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I hate Texas and i'm getting out, but this post is ridiculously inaccurate. Your perception of Texas seems to stem from movies and TV shows.

As for the original question, I think the OP would not like Texas and should go with the UK due to the type of people that live here, the weather and the mindset of the people as compared to what he is use to. If coming to the US, a good choice would be to choose a location that is more diverse and open minded than Texas if you are a foreigner.
I am a native Texan and lived there until I was 30 so I know very well what I am talking about. If you want to see Texas for what it really is I suggest leaving it for a while so you can see things from a different angle.
Like many of us you won't want to ever go back. This post isn't meant to be mean to people who have to live there.
I think I should try and help those in advance from making a serious mistake.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post

sorry but not many states get much more diverse than Texas. Texas is one of the most diverse states in the U.S and also very integrated.

Houston is one of the most diverse cities/open minded cities in the US.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 AM

59 posts, read 72,309 times
No idea

Old 07-19-2008, 07:28 AM

59 posts, read 72,309 times
Actually, I am also going to study in UTSA soon ( Teaxs San Antonio and I am also a foreigner and never been to the US before). I do not seem very excited after reading all those negative posts about Texas.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:03 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromThereNearHere View Post
Actually, I am also going to study in UTSA soon ( Teaxs San Antonio and I am also a foreigner and never been to the US before). I do not seem very excited after reading all those negative posts about Texas.
Don't let these posts worry you. Most of these people have probably never even been to Texas. That's how it usually goes. The major cities in Texas are just as urban and diverse as other major American cities, with some like Dallas and Houston even more so than others. There are plenty of immigrants and foreigners from the UK and other countries who have come to Texas cities to work, live, and/or study. The stereotypes in these threads mostly apply to small towns and rural areas in some parts of Texas, and even then they're a stretch.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I am a native Texan and lived there until I was 30 so I know very well what I am talking about. If you want to see Texas for what it really is I suggest leaving it for a while so you can see things from a different angle.
Like many of us you won't want to ever go back. This post isn't meant to be mean to people who have to live there.
Oh please. Just because you didn't like it does not mean anyone else will not. Quit acting all high and mighty and full of yourself. Your post was mean spirited otherwise you wouldn't have insulted the way you perceive Texans. I lived in Texas for 20 years as well, moved out, but would love to go back. But you are harping on nothing but stereotypes. You say you lived in Texas for 30 years. Did you move out 30 years ago. I never been to a rodeo and nobody I know in Texas never been to one rodeo. We like BBQ as well as Tex-Mex and Soul Food. We like football including basketball, soccer, and especially baseball. So please, keep your little comments to yourself.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:29 PM

288 posts, read 919,278 times
I enjoyed my time in a prestigious public university in Texas. I feel that the education I received was great, my professors were helpful and very knowledgeable, and the overall environment both on and off-campus was very relaxed and tolerant.

Most of the teaching assistants during my undergraduate years were graduate students who came from all over the world (including many from India and China). If you choose to attend the school in Texas, then in all likelihood you find a diverse, accepting community of intellectuals and several opportunities to engage in meaningful research.

UTSA is a good school. If you're in the biological sciences then you'll have plenty of resources in the nearby UT Health Science Center. I have quite a few friends and acquaintances who went through UTSA doctoral programs.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:

Uh, i'm not a native Texan, did you quote the wrong person? I have been out and see things from a different angle. I lived in Mississippi for 18 years, Kentucky for a few months, California for half a year and Arizona for about as long. I am getting out of Texas next month. As stated before, I do not like Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
sorry but not many states get much more diverse than Texas. Texas is one of the most diverse states in the U.S and also very integrated.

Houston is one of the most diverse cities/open minded cities in the US.
Not really when compared to places like New York, California, and cities like Seattle, Chicago and Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.