Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You're comparing the nation's 4th largest city, international, huge industry, medical, NASA.... to a smaller city with a lot less influence. Go off that.
That doesnt have a lot to do with livability.

Quote:
I'd bet Houston's economy and housing market is miles above Sacramento's right now though.
Economically I agree. Houston is on a roll right now due to its energy companies, but I dont think Houston's housing market is anywhere near as good as Sacramento right now. Home sales in the Sacramento Metro are up 109% from a year ago due to plunging home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:31 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Economically I agree. Houston is on a roll right now due to its energy companies, but I dont think Houston's housing market is anywhere near as good as Sacramento right now. Home sales in the Sacramento Metro are up 109% from a year ago due to plunging home prices.
How is having a real estate market flooded with thousands of foreclosures a good thing?? When you have a ton of people who owe more than their home is worth, that is not a "good" market imo. Homes are still cheaper in Houston and you don't have to live in a neighborhood that is 1/2 empty and deteriorating from a ton of foreclosures.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is having a real estate market flooded with thousands of foreclosures a good thing?? When you have a ton of people who owe more than their home is worth, that is not a "good" market imo. Homes are still cheaper in Houston and you don't have to live in a neighborhood that is 1/2 empty and deteriorating from a ton of foreclosures.
from the standpoint of home sales, Sacramento is doing great right now. However I would be remiss if I didnt of course acknowledge the foreclosure mess that still isnt over yet.

As far as Houston, I have lots of relatives there now(transferred with Continental Airlines) and their homes here were tiny bungalows but in Houston they live in massive houses that are gorgeous and so cheap. Who can blame them for moving?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,235,990 times
Sacramento, definitely.

It's hot there, but their springs and falls are awesome. Not humid.

It's near enough to the Bay Area, the coast, to the Sierras, Mt. Shasta skiing. It all depends on what you like to do.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,292,780 times
The appeal of Sacramento is not all in leaving Sacramento, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.