Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

MontanaGuy, its sad that a lot of young people from small towns are forced to move to cities and suburbs for work especially since rural life and areas are much more preferrable. Here in Maryland there's not much about dying towns....the threat to rural areas comes from suburban expansion. Hence the thing I wrote about the Census saying a county is suburban or metropolitan when its character is still mostly rural.

I've always dreamed of moving to a middle American Mayberry type place but the problem definitely is finding a well paying, skilled job. I've always found inner-city areas to be depressing and soulless. I don't want to look out my window everyday and see concrete, people and cars everywhere. People have said that the Internet boom could have revitalized some small towns allowing people to telecommute and work from home.

There's a lot of rural and small town life thats to be desired, like how people could slow down and remember whats most important in life, and how there was a sense of community and people looked out for one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
There are large land areas in a city's Metro that are rural and small towns - but when you look at the populations, they're normally very small.

Look at Grundy County in Illinois. It's 430 square miles, and is included in the Chicago Metro area. The land area is large, and it's mostly a place of small towns and rural settings (except on the northern fringe, which is growing like weeds).

If you look though, Grundy County only has 0.4% of the metro's population. For every person in the metro living in a rural or small town area, there are dozens and dozens living in very urban or suburban areas.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
The majority of Americans do live in metropolitan areas of over a million, but the majority of Americans don't specifically live in cities of over 200,000. If you added suburbs, even large ones, and small towns together you might get a majority.

I'm in an odd place. I live in a small town I don't like and would still like to live in a bigger city. However to me 20,000 people is "a bigger city" and I probably wouldn't want to go larger than a city of 100,000. Also I think smaller towns often do preserve more of what's unique about any nation. Teens playing basketball or neurotic intellectuals on a subway might be iconic images of America, but the same kind of thing can/does happen in Bilbao, Manilla, Sydney, and others. (As a teen we had an exchange student from Bilbao who played basketball before he ever came here)

Going to a Hopi pueblo, an Amish village, a chautauqua, or a rattlesnake hunt are pretty uniquely American and rural. (Granted Chautaquas are pretty rare now and I think Canada has some Amish)

Not that cities are totally lacking in uniquely American things. There's NFL teams, Mohawk Indian construction crews, Deep dish pizza, etc.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-17-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
about 75% of the people in the state live in urbanized areas.
That's for Ohio.. so most people here certainly don't live in the country. I actually don't really know ANYONE from the country. Just because the vast majority of the US isn't urban, doesn't mean MORE people live there.

The county I live in is over 99% urban, according to City-Data.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A nice place where people watch out for each other, where neighbors wave as you go by.
As long as everyone is white and Christian, sure, that exists... bring outsiders into your lovely neighborhood circle and I don't think it's so inviting.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Let's do the math.

US Population 304,059,724

over 100,000,000 people live in the top 20 largest cities alone. That is fully 1/3 of the entire population of this country that lives in only 20 CITIES. (The smallest of which is San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA, population 3,001,072. (see Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

That leave an awful lot of country left over.

I read *somewhere* that 93 percent of the population lives in a city 50,000 or greater.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
1 in 30 Americans lives in Chicagoland. 1 in 20 lives in greater Los Angeles. 1 in 15 lives in greater New York City. Together these three metros make up 15% the total U.S. population. These places can't help but leave an heavy imprint on what it means to be "American".

Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
80% of Americans live within a 20 mile radius of a major city. Major metropolitan areas are the "real America."

Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
That's for Ohio.. so most people here certainly don't live in the country. I actually don't really know ANYONE from the country. Just because the vast majority of the US isn't urban, doesn't mean MORE people live there.
Well yes, but that doesn't make rural America some rare or strange thing either. It's 17-21% of America going by the census. That's one of every six people at least. The lowest-end estimate places rural America at just 7%. (This seems to be places that are outside of both metropolitan and micropolitan areas) That's small, but if it were a minority group 7% would be about as large as gays and East-Asians combined.

Defining the “Rural” in Rural America - Amber Waves June 2008 (http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/June08/Features/RuralAmerica.htm - broken link)

The newest I can find on rural population by state seems to be 1990 or 2000. (I'm a bit unclear how to read it)

Urban and Rural Population by State (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:k_FDYJemjEcJ:www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/09s0028.xls+rural+population+by+state&cd=5&hl=en&c t=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Going by it four states have a non-urban majority.

Maine
Mississippi
Vermont
West Virginia

Nine other states are 39-49.9% non-urban

Alabama
Arkansas
Kentucky
Montana
New Hampshire
North Carolina
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota

Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 249,301 times
Talking about Americana, i personally feel i have about as much in common culturally with someone from the Deep South or East Coast as with someone from Ireland *shrugs* .. Slightly more with a Midwesterner, but not much

Growing up in LA and later travelling and living around North America, I can't help but notice that each region has its own unique culture with varying degrees of internal variation (usually only noticeable to locals)

To me, cities like Chicago, Milwaukee & Minneapolis represent a greater Midwestern culture.. each with its own unique pecularities, of course. But from an outsider's perspective (say a Southerner) there's relatively little if any perceived difference in terms of culture between these cities.. Just like Atlanta vs Dallas to a Californian. Since the South is so far removed geographically from the West, it's relatively foreign culturally to people here, vs say Arizona or even Utah, so it isn't really seen with internal variation in mind.. but rather based on the external differences from one's own culture/dialect that are immediately obvious to people from outside the area, since there are more differences than similarities overall between cultures

The East Coast obviously has more internal variation than other regions due to its early colonial history, giving dialects more time to develop & diverge from each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.