Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

I agree with previous posts: not a lot of sidewalks to encourage walking, lack of public transportation (people drive a lot to go different places), and a huge staple in the southern diet is fat.

I would love to walk to school or work but at the same time, I don't want to risk my life just to do so. I'm all for expanding public transportation but others in my state would much rather deal with filling up their huge SUVS to take them 2 miles to the grocery store.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Anyone that thinks that the south has cornered the market on fat hasn't driven through the midwest lately

I agree with this. I live in Nebraska, and there are some people that are so overweight. I see a lot of people that are so overweight they have to ride a scooter because they can't walk. Of course, some people do have some kind of condition that makes them that way, and they can't control it. Our problem here is not the food that we eat. We gain so much weight during the winter, and some people can't lose the weight once spring comes.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
Good vittles, good cookin', who cares, you gonna die, might as well enjoy the trip, huh? The thing to do is not to worry about other regions, just your own, ya know?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta planter View Post
good vittles, good cookin', who cares, you gonna die, might as well enjoy the trip, huh?
amen!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
Well if you divide the body up into regions,
I would have to say the fat has ended up in my Midwest.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
A few days ago I was reading a news article on the internet which listed the states in order by which had the highest percentage of overweight people. All of the southern states had the highest percentage and took the top ten spots. I wish I could find that link again but as I recall Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee were the top three with over 30% of the population overweight. It just makes me wonder why this is the case. I don't know that the diet of people in the south is all that different from other parts of the country. Afterall, we have fast food restaurants from coast to coast. One thought I have is that maybe a hot humid climate might tend to make people live a more sedentary lifestyle. When I go out and mow the lawn I'm soaking wet by the time I'm done and can't wait to get back into the house. Can anyone else explain why people in the south are so overweight?

Too much fried food.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Too much fried food.

It isn't just fried foods that put on weight. Sugar is a huge culprit and that includes pastas, white rice, white potatoes, carrots, corn, beets, and white breads to mention just a few. Sugar releases insulin which promotes the storage of fats, so eating a high-sugar diet promotes rapid weight gain.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Well if you divide the body up into regions,
I would have to say the fat has ended up in my Midwest.

Actually the midwest is better as a whole than the southeast, the southeast is incredibly obese in comparison to the rest of the country.

The midwest has pockets of high obesity, and moreso than other parts of the counrty, but if you want to know the worst.. do not look any further than the southeast part of the US..

Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Good vittles, good cookin', who cares, you gonna die, might as well enjoy the trip, huh? The thing to do is not to worry about other regions, just your own, ya know?
Delta Planter, what's wrong with worrying about other regions?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 PM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post
south people brag about "being able to cook" ...like its really that hard.

lol

and add chicago and nyc to that list...they are always bragging about how much nasty fattening food they eat like pizza/hot dogs/bagels.

i love living in california where you can find fresh ingredients all year round , and we dont brag about something as dumb as a hot dog either
I loved living in California too, and not just for finding great fresh food year round (eating Southern food made me feel almost sick; I can't handle loads of fat or gargantuan portions), but also the emphasis on exercising and staying fit. When I moved to Texas I had never seen so few sidewalks or bike lanes in my life, and my mom told us to not go outside in the summer because of the heat and humidity, while I got to go outside almost any time I wanted during the day in CA. I miss walking to school and riding my bike up to restaurants or stores on the weekends. And I hate that the bikers here have to risk their lives to share the road with us. It's annoying, for the bikers and the drivers.

And for anyone that tells me to just get the heck out of here, well, I would if I could. Jobs are very hard to find for us Aspergians, including in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.