U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,964,661 times
Reputation: 2149

Advertisements

Interesting article in the Journal this morning about "Mountain Mega Metro Areas" Which consist of Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver & Albuquerque/Santa Fe. It talks about these areas being the new population booming centers of the West. The Albuquerque/Santa Fe area alone has grown by over 100,000 people since 2000.

Albuquerque Journal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 PM
 
5,808 posts, read 9,643,650 times
Reputation: 2590
You need to log in to read it. Does this article say where these new residents hail from? I know that Colorado has seen a huge influx of Californians over the last two decades thanks to the eroding economy on the coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
 
12,567 posts, read 35,094,874 times
Reputation: 9682
Salt Lake has always had a high growth rate. But it's not because people are flocking there, it's because of the high birth rate which is right up there with many Third World countries. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people are moving to SLC, but a lot of people move away, too. If it weren't for those huge families in Utah, SLC wouldn't be growing much, if at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,024 posts, read 22,533,748 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Interesting article in the Journal this morning about "Mountain Mega Metro Areas" Which consist of Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver & Albuquerque/Santa Fe. It talks about these areas being the new population booming centers of the West. The Albuquerque/Santa Fe area alone has grown by over 100,000 people since 2000.

Albuquerque Journal
Just wait till they all run out of water in 10 years. Skyrocketing diesel prices will also mean higher food prices since you can't grow crops in desert
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,229 posts, read 16,233,308 times
Reputation: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Just wait till they all run out of water in 10 years. Skyrocketing diesel prices will also mean higher food prices since you can't grow crops in desert

So true! That will really put a strain on budgets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,015 posts, read 5,189,282 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You need to log in to read it. Does this article say where these new residents hail from? I know that Colorado has seen a huge influx of Californians over the last two decades thanks to the eroding economy on the coast.
Colorado gains 100,000 people a year alone mainly from in-migration about 1/5 are from California. Basically the far West ID, UT, MT, WY, CO, NM will be like the near West of NV, AZ, OR, WA soon enough give or take 20-30 years.

America's fastest growing states on Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top