Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times

Advertisements

What areas of your city (or the city you indentify with) are under gentrification?

In my native Los Angeles: Koreatown, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Little Tokyo,Hollywood (all over), Downtown LA, North Hollywood. Most of this gentrification in the inner core happens near subway/light rail lines.

Soon: The area around USC, I'd imagine it will become somewhat sought after when the Expo Line is finished. Chinatown, too.

Recently completed: Venice

Some pics of gentrification I've seen:

Hollywood/Vine:

DTLA:

Little Tokyo:

Los Feliz:

Koreatown

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Louisville is the tale of two cities:

One mile East of Downtown:

One mile West of Downtown:
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/10790700.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/10790701.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
censusdata, I hope the buildings in your second picture are staying. It looks like there are construction signs in front of, and in between them.

While downtown Youngstown is improving, I don't think there is any other gentrification in the city, yet.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
The "Old Uptown" section of Harrisburg is gentrifying pretty rapidly right now. It's following in Midtown's footsteps. The neighborhood is just north of Midtown, slightly further from Downtown but still only minutes away.

Over 100 houses are currently being rehabbed, along with three new townhouse construction projects and a condominium building in the planning stages.

Picture of some new townhouses (existing houses on the site were in disrepair and abandoned so they were torn down)

A few houses just recently rehabbed that are now for sale:

Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
The 'up and coming'* Atlanta neighborhoods are:
East Lake
Kirkwood
Edgewood
Fourth Ward
East Atlanta
West End
Castleberry Hill
West Atlanta

Neighborhoods that are feeling the first stirrings of gentrification:
Capitol View
Vine City
Westview
Reynoldstown

Cities outside of the city limits that are heating up:
Smyrna
Chamblee
Doraville
East Point
College Park
Hapeville

*Note to fellow Atlantans: if you don't see your trendy neighborhood on here, it's likely that I consider it already 'there'.

Last edited by Iconographer; 07-20-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 09:34 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
In Knoxville it would be Fourth & Gill, Old North Knoxville, to a certain extent Mechanicsville, with Parkridge beginning to gain momentum. There are some other pleasant in-town neighborhoods but they never were downhill as much as those mentioned.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Ooops, I forgot the big one - Downtown - even the prices for restored victorians pale in comparison to a downtown condo. 10 yrs ago it was practically a ghost town.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
signs of (re)- gentrification

Uptown
Rogers Park
Bronzeville/ Grand Blvd.
East Garfield
Near South Side
Oakland
Kenwood
East Humboldt Park
Woodlawn- small parts
Tri-Taylor
Near Westside
Logan Square
University Village

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
censusdata, I hope the buildings in your second picture are staying. It looks like there are construction signs in front of, and in between them.

While downtown Youngstown is improving, I don't think there is any other gentrification in the city, yet.
They are being converted into condos. This project has actually been completed since the photo was taken.

Here are some more new buildings along the East Main/ Market Street corridor. This area has boomed since the completed of a minor league baseball stadium (Slugger Field) in 2000

Probably the most **important** project was the destruction of Kentucky's most dangerous public housing complex, Clarksdale, and replacing it with a mixed income development. Clarksdale set right across the street from the University of Louisville Medical Campus This project is still ongoing

The U of L Med Campus has also seen a ton of new buildings. It is also located just east of Downtown
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Picture_154ULMedPlaza.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/53/Picture_161ULResearchTower.jpg/450px-Picture_161ULResearchTower.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Picture_1375.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Chicago

Noid, when I was a kid I did a stint as a camp counselor at (I think) Sherman park off Loomis. I remember the area was beginning to go downhill at the time (1970). Any chance it got revitalized? I have fond memories of that place. I remember thinking I was expecting I'd be in the inner city and it would look something like "west side story" with no trees for miles around. Instead it was a pretty, tree filled neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.