Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland, SanFran, or Denver?
Portland 18 26.47%
SanFran 27 39.71%
Denver 23 33.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 AM

134 posts, read 144,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
Portland is very economically stratified, though. It doesn't appear that way on the surface, but try getting a job here sometime. There seems to be no mid-range: you are either making $7.95/hr or you are making $65k. And for what it is worth, the vast majority are making the first amount and not the second.

Taking the economics into consideration, you've got to give Denver a second look. I've been to all three cities, and like them all. But, I think with a decision of this magnitude, you have to look first at the strength of the academic programs you are considering (you did not say what you are studying) and then consider the economic consequences.

To that end, Denver looks a bit better than Portland just because the job market is better.
No offense, but you're acting like $65k a year is a lot of money. I'm 26 and making roughly that, with just a wife (and baby on way), and it's still a struggle. All this without a mortgage ($1k /mo rent on apartment), and not a ton of bills. Serious, $65k is not a great salary. That's lower middle-class in my opinion. Also, I live in Phoenix, Arizona right now, so it's not like I am living in some expensive area like San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,579,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
No offense, but you're acting like $65k a year is a lot of money. I'm 26 and making roughly that, with just a wife (and baby on way), and it's still a struggle. All this without a mortgage ($1k /mo rent on apartment), and not a ton of bills. Serious, $65k is not a great salary. That's lower middle-class in my opinion. Also, I live in Phoenix, Arizona right now, so it's not like I am living in some expensive area like San Francisco.
Maybe $65k isn't great as a household income, but for a single individual that is way, way above the national average. If your wife worked as well, then you would probably be making close to $100k, which would put you solidly in the middle class, closer to upper middle class than lower middle class. Now tell your wife to get out there and start pulling her weight.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:56 AM

134 posts, read 144,226 times
My wife makes more than me , but she's pregnant at the moment and taking some time off, so we are doing what we can with my income alone. I am just saying $65k a year is not some amazing salary, even for a single individual. In all honesty, I often wonder how people who make $9 an hour even survive. Then again, there is a lot of support for them, which I am extremely happy about. For example, a friend of mine just got on AHCCS (social program for health insurance in AZ), and her benefits are better than mine. She has at most $5 co-pay for any medical visits.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 AM

478 posts, read 2,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
My wife makes more than me , but she's pregnant at the moment and taking some time off, so we are doing what we can with my income alone. I am just saying $65k a year is not some amazing salary, even for a single individual. In all honesty, I often wonder how people who make $9 an hour even survive. Then again, there is a lot of support for them, which I am extremely happy about. For example, a friend of mine just got on AHCCS (social program for health insurance in AZ), and her benefits are better than mine. She has at most $5 co-pay for any medical visits.
The financial planner in me is curious as to where the money is going, but that is beside the point.

The point is that good salaries are hard to come by in Portland, so it is best to factor the job market in as best as one can to make the most complete decision with regards to moving.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,888,052 times
I've lived in Denver and San Francisco, and visited the northwest.
Portland seems very progressive, maybe not all that diverse, I certainly have heard good things about Lewis and Clark though.
Denver is more affordable, and DU is a really good school (but DU itself sure isn't cheap nor is the student body all that diverse).
SFO really is a world class city, just an incredible place, and you'll never be this young and unencumbered again.
I am inclined to suggest San Francisco.
Best of luck to you no matter where you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.