Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 AM

87 posts, read 356,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Most of them from Northern KY always, when asked where they were from, said they were from "Cincinnati". One famous Kentuckian, Dave Justice, is notorious for this.
Dave Justice is actually from Cincinnati. However he crossed into Covington KY, every day for high school. He graduated from Covington Latin, the only high school of its type in the Cincinnati area in which they accept students after 6th grade. Basically the students skip 7th and 8th grades. Justice graduated from high school at 16.

To this Northern Kentuckian, everything north of the Ohio River is considered the North, while everything south of Grant County is considered the South. I'm a Greater Cincinnatian who eats Skyline Chili, plays cornhole and roots for the Reds and the Bengals, but I'm also a Kentuckian who eats grits, enjoys horse racing and bleeds Big Blue (Kentucky Basketball).

So am I a Northerner or a Southerner. Dang if I know, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:44 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,711,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Dave Justice is actually from Cincinnati. However he crossed into Covington KY, every day for high school. He graduated from Covington Latin, the only high school of its type in the Cincinnati area in which they accept students after 6th grade. Basically the students skip 7th and 8th grades. Justice graduated from high school at 16.

To this Northern Kentuckian, everything north of the Ohio River is considered the North, while everything south of Grant County is considered the South. I'm a Greater Cincinnatian who eats Skyline Chili, plays cornhole and roots for the Reds and the Bengals, but I'm also a Kentuckian who eats grits, enjoys horse racing and bleeds Big Blue (Kentucky Basketball).

So am I a Northerner or a Southerner. Dang if I know, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Very nicely put

Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 AM

835 posts, read 2,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Get it started baby! Spread the word
Come on down!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,979,682 times
This is just my thoughts but when I think of the South I only think of far E.Texas,Louisiana,Mississippi,Alabama,Georgia,and South Carolina and maybe an Arkansas. The rest I just picture them as too far north, I dont even consider TN or KY southern even though I know they are but I dont know what to classify them as.

I also think W.Va and VA are too far north, you might as well throw in southern IN and southern Wisconsin too, lots of states wanna make a claim that they can be southern.

anyways that is just my thoughts,they dont really mean anything

Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
This is just my thoughts but when I think of the South I only think of far E.Texas,Louisiana,Mississippi,Alabama,Georgia,and South Carolina and maybe an Arkansas. The rest I just picture them as too far north, I dont even consider TN or KY southern even though I know they are but I dont know what to classify them as.

I also think W.Va and VA are too far north, you might as well throw in southern IN and southern Wisconsin too, lots of states wanna make a claim that they can be southern.

I can NEVER understand how people cannot classify Ar as southern? It's right there, in the south, what else could it be? And to not consider TN southern?
You also left out NC, is that not southern to you as well?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:

It sounds to me like you consider only gulf coast states (I guess they are all sunbelt) but it is not only about geography either. It's all about culture and traditions as well.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:

I have never ever heard anyone say southern Wiscosin is southern but I have heard that about Indiana. Are you sure you didn't mean Ohio?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I have never ever heard anyone say southern Wiscosin is southern but I have heard that about Indiana. Are you sure you didn't mean Ohio?
LOL, I was curious about how Wisconsin got in there, but considering the states she dosn't consider southern, I didn't give it much more thought

Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 AM

From the GRITS Guide to Life book here's a picture and descriptionof the South that I agree with:

Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook

and a closer look: Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook

Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM

87 posts, read 356,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
LOL, I was curious about how Wisconsin got in there, but considering the states she dosn't consider southern, I didn't give it much more thought
Had to laugh about Southern Wisconsin. I went to college in Southern Wisconsin. Trust me, Northern Kentucky has a lot more southern culture than Southern Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.