Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,398 times

Advertisements

Maybe b/c there's something about that city which they wish to defend

I.E. with myself if anyone says that Texans are a-holes then i will get pissed because from my experience every Texan i've ever met was the most friendly person on the planet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Some people love their city. When you love something it's understandable it might hurt to see it maligned. Particularly if the criticism is cruel.

Also some criticism of cities are implicitly or explicitly criticism of the people in it. If you say "Q City is all drunks and inbred morons" it's understandable those from there will be angry.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I'm not angry about living in the Saint Louis Area, just disappointed.

I moved here because my wife was homesick. I left a good job, great friends, a very active southern california lifestyle to move to the blandness and parochialism that is endemic to this area. I've met quite a few new friends, but like me they are also transplants.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I don't get angry.

I just seek to clarify misinformation.

If a person simply states their opinion, I don't really mind, but if someone states something that is factually inaccurate and can be verified by real statistics, then there's nothing wrong with helping them to know the facts.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I'm not! I think if Milwaukee was in a warm weather climate it would easy be in the Top 10 of best cities in the US. That being said I still think Milwaukee is a better cities that are a lot bigger than it. IE Twin Cities, and whats so special about Dinky Town anyway. It's rather....Dinky!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I couldn't care less when people bad mouth San Diego. I find it amusing.
I would never, ever bad mouth San Diego as I'm extremely dependent on its Airport and the light rail trains that take me to the Mexican border and Tijuana where excitement is always awaiting me in the Zona Norte area.

And I can't omit all the excellent medical care given to me down there.

Long live San Diego! Some day I may move there and if I can't find me lodgings within a walk of the Border, then I'll find me a place a short walk to a train stop on the Tijuana trolley.

I have nothing negative to say about San Diego.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,354 times
People get angry over negative or cynical comments about their city/state because they are overly sensitive, perhaps have no life, dont like people expressing their right to Freedom of Speech, and they have a superiority complex that makes them think everyone has to like their city/state or hometown X.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall C View Post
...or they are just plain insecure because someplace else, like New York for example, gets all the attention. Thats when the inferiority complex sets in and the bashing starts.
Or because the majority of the time; instead of giving a well though out and informative critique; people usually lie and exaggerate about certain cities.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall C View Post
...or they are just plain insecure because someplace else, like New York for example, gets all the attention. Thats when the inferiority complex sets in and the bashing starts.
Actually it is several posters from NYC that come out and bash other cities for no reason and THAT is what starts trouble. We had one who admitted they had never even been to Houston, start trouble on the Houston forum just yesterday as well as several times before

We have seen them do it to many cities including LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte and more almost always without being provoked

It is not about inferiority complex, that is just a lame excuse

Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times
New Yorkers seem like they can bash other cities and when it's thrown back at them, they catch feelings like little girls. It's all good because NY'ers know if they popped off at the mouth about any other city in real life, it would be a wrap. You can't go into another city trashing it because you asking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.