Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM

30 posts, read 90,306 times

Advertisements

I own a successful indie record shop in Chicago and am thinking of either relocating the shop or opening a second branch in a warmer city. Can anyone point me in the direction of a hip (or up-and-coming) city with a healthy art/music scene. I'm looking for possibly a west coast city that's close (or within an hour's drive) of beaches or nice lakes and outdoor activities. I'd LOVE a bike friendly city with nice architecture, but it isn't a must. I like San Francisco, but there's already a ton of GREAT shops in all the perfect neighborhoods. We sell a lot of punk rock, psych rock, avant garde and experimental music and hardly any top 40 so it'd need to be in an area with good support for independents. I really like Chicago for the biking and architecture, but I HATE winter (6 months here!!) and there's a serious lack of greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM

204 posts, read 751,944 times
San Diego?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Maybe you should expand in Chicago or the Midwest first so you don't stretch your business out too much.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,657 times
My first though is that you should open it in a place with an up and coming art scene. If you go to a place already saturated in the arts, then youre just another record shop, not THE record shop. Now I'm not too fond of Albuquerque, but that would actually be a good place. We are always looking for unique little record shops, but only ever find Hastings Entertainment stores. The only shop I know of is Natural Sound. The local music venues like the Launch Pad and the Sunshine Theatre are usually more than willing to advertise new shows at such a place an a new indi record store, giving both places more exposure. Of course, no beaches though. From what I hear, Denton TX might be a good place as well.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM

We've thought of expansion and LOVE Chicago, but if we decide to move we'd have to figure out if we'd keep the shop here (which we're leaning towards) and have employees take over. I'm not sure we would want to keep an eye on more than one shop if we end up being out of state. I've never been to San Deigo. Is there a strong art/music scene there. Any particular neighborhoods? I've always thought of it as a military port city. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I would recomend selling your business in Chicago and move to a warmer region that you can afford that could support another record store. Just curious but what is an indie record shop ? I never heard that term before.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Portland, Oregon has a mild winter and people can ride there bikes all over. Pacific Ocean, Waterfalls, Rivers and more are all within driving distance.

Last edited by JerichoHW; 07-29-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Indie (or maybe indy?) is short for independent. Usually refers to a record shop with a focus on selling independent music from smaller record labels.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I was just in Savannah and found (much to my chagrin) that there was not an actual record shop in the entire city. Maybe I missed it, but I looked pretty hard. You would sure corner the market. The city is flat and mostly compact, so it would be bike friendly in that way. The beach is fifteen miles out of the city. Some of the greatest architecture around.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Houston, Atlanta or Charleston SC would be great choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.