Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most blighted major city?
Miami 3 5.17%
New Orleans (pre-Katrina) 8 13.79%
St. Louis 7 12.07%
Chicago 5 8.62%
Cincinnati 4 6.90%
New York 4 6.90%
Cleveland 5 8.62%
Philadelphia 6 10.34%
Detroit 42 72.41%
Baltimore 7 12.07%
Other (please specify) 3 5.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times

Advertisements

I study urban social issues, and i'm trying to come to terms with what blight means to an urban area socially, and what places have some of the worst instances of blight. i'm hoping you guys can help me out, so please, plenty of recent photos!

i'm sure this will turn into an argument about who's city isn't blighted at all, but the pictures should tell the story if we have enough variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Ive been studying urban areas and things like blight/decay/poverty and all the problems that come with urban areas extensively for the past 6 years. Before that I was just studying them a little. Ive seen a lot of the areas first hand and studied them most of the time without going out of my way to do it. Out of the cities on the list I would have to say hands down Detroit. For a city the size of Detroit in population and land area its pretty impressive (in a bad way) how bad the blight is in the city.

Second on the list I would have to say Cleveland, then Baltimore and St. Louis were about the same. Gary, IN is pretty bad and about the same thing as Detroit but just smaller. East Cleveland is also one of the worst places I have ever seen. Camden NJ is probably the worst city overall Ive seen as far as blight. East St. Louis is bad but its more rural. The Eastside of Buffalo is very blighted.

Ill try to find some pictures, but there are some places online to see them: urbandecay.ca has a lot of pictures from different cities. Also look at street view on google.com/maps and go to the blighted areas.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Other (unspecified)

eat it

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Out of the cities on the list I would have to say hands down Detroit. For a city the size of Detroit in population and land area its pretty impressive (in a bad way) how bad the blight is in the city.
i'm figuring detroit tops this list easy, but the stagger should be interesting. i should have added buffalo, good call on that. i was in cleveland earlier this month and it was old hat, pretty depressing. never been to bmore, but i have to st. louis, and it's really bad out there too.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Where is L.A.? HUGE pockets of mass poverty and probably the highest homeless population Ive ever seen, as well as the most graffiti covered place Ive ever seen as well. Detroit wins out of the cities on the poll....

Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I've been wondering why St. Louis has been in the news so much as a blighted, crime-ridden city in the past year or so. I live in Maryland with Washington and Baltimore close by so St. Louis just gives me the image of a tranquil, middle American kind of place. To some people here, including myself, the "heartland" or the "Midwest" is still assocaited with a sense of innocence and tradition. Why is St. Louis's crime suddenly so high? Has there recently been a large influx of illegal immigrants there?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Where is L.A.? HUGE pockets of mass poverty and probably the highest homeless population Ive ever seen, as well as the most graffiti covered place Ive ever seen as well. Detroit wins out of the cities on the poll....
no questioning what you say about poverty and graffiti, but la is big so it's gonna have a huge raw number of homeless, but what's the percentage? i didn't add la because it's a newer city, and most of the newer cities don't have the same issues of blight as many of the older ones.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've been wondering why St. Louis has been in the news so much as a blighted, crime-ridden city in the past year or so. I live in Maryland with Washington and Baltimore close by so St. Louis just gives me the image of a tranquil, middle American kind of place. To some people here, including myself, the "heartland" or the "Midwest" is still assocaited with a sense of innocence and tradition. Why is St. Louis's crime suddenly so high? Has there recently been a large influx of illegal immigrants there?
st. louis has always been a rough town, all the way back to the 19th century. it has some good areas, mostly southside, but st. louis is segregated and the northside is as bad as anywhere.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,358 times
I also study urban areas poverty/decay. I think detroit is the worst in that catagory its number one in poverty, unemployment, crime and more. I hope to go there soon and see it for myself. The pics I see of detroit are amazing whole areas without any homes left just urban prairies.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times
Default ...

St Louis is in the process of a pretty amazing turnaround.. Their downtown is getting redeveloped pretty quickly and the city is in higher spirits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.