Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Atlanta area, for what it is, it's OK. The summer heat and humidity are pretty fierce, the winters can be cold and damp, you have to beware of rust and mildew on essentially everything you own. And, did I mention that there is just more moisture in the air than I prefer?

The traffic is bad, maybe worse than Seattle. That and a lot of the northern end suburbs oppose MARTA coming into their area, because it would provide access for "urban yoots" to get out there, fair enough, but you have to drive EVERYWHERE in places like this, some don't even have sidewalks.

But, if you are into the urban scene, if you are single and find a place preferably on the MARTA train lines, or downtown, I would prefer it to Chicago, NY, LA, etc.

There are good looking girls in Atlanta, and always have been. But for whatever reason Charlotte NC seems to have more good lookers per 1000 than any other US city I have visited.

Hey, if Atlanta works out for you, go for it, you can do worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
[/i]LovinDecatur;4669832]I rest my case
What do you mean? After that month, I decided that I don't know how anyone could even live there. Lots going for it (that TREE CANOPY), but very overrated city in all aspects and it's residents are a little too proud of what they don't have. People up there need to wake up and actualize what is really happening and has been happening in Atlanta and work to really make it the world class city that it can be. Fact of the matter is, it's kind of becoming the next South Florida but with more sprawl, pollution, crime, poorly managed growth (see sprawl) and traffic. The reason I use that comparison is because political corruption is what is keeping the area from moving forward as much as it could be, IMO. I think Atlanta is capable of better than that with how much it DOES have going for it. I like how Atlanta really seems to be trying with public transit.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-30-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: typo(s)

Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What do you mean? After that month, I decided that I don't know how anyone could even live there. Lots going for it (that TREE CANOPY), but very overrated city in all aspect and it's residents are a little too proud of what they don't have. People up there need to wake up and actualize what is really happening and has been happening in Atlanta and work to really make it the world class city that it can be.
Oh, you gave it a whole month? Well, bully for you...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

The traffic is bad, maybe worse than Seattle. That and a lot of the northern end suburbs oppose MARTA coming into their area, because it would provide access for "urban yoots" to get out there, fair enough, but you have to drive EVERYWHERE in places like this, some don't even have sidewalks.
I heard a funny joke about MARTA once. M.oving A.fricans R.apidly T.hrough A.tlanta. I thought it was so mean but I couldn't help but laugh. I do think that if Atlanta wants to be considered "world class" these suburbs need to compromise with the city.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post
For a young college graduate like myself, re-locating to Atlanta seems to make almost perfect sense...

I mean look at the pro's
-Great weather
-Relatively low cost of living
-A lot of HOT Southern girls!
-Relatively safe ( especially compared to cities like Chicago, DC, and L.A )

Should this move be a no-brainer like it seems, or is there something I'm missing?
I'm going to bite. I have been through ATL a lot since I was a kid heading south to Florida. I always loved the area. Specifically northern Ga. in the mountains. The red dirt, foggy mountains, and hilly roads with green trees and beautiful green grass is so comforting. Everybody and their mom is relocating to northern Ga. Look at the Atlanta area on this forum, and the use the maps to browse the suburbs just to the northeast of ATL. Towns are popping up everywhere. Just look at these maps of the surrounding areas,

//www.city-data.com/city/Gainesville-Georgia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Duluth-Georgia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Buford-Georgia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Norcross-Georgia.html

Absolutely incredible matey! I think the older cities are getting jealous of ATL. It is getting huge and the area is beautiful with better weather than most. It definitely has the potential to pass Chicago, Houston, Dallas, and NYC as far as weather and beauty go. Hmm I might have to move there to get some work in construction. Lots of growth all around the city in every direction.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-30-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Given the parameters the OP listed, Atlanta would be hard to beat. If someone doesn't like really cold weather but likes urban living, it's not hard to understand why someone would rather live in Atlanta than Chicago or NY.

I agree that the traffic in Atlanta can be a nightmare. But if you live in the city and work in the city, there's absolutely no need to ever take your car on the freeways. MARTA is well used--it even goes to the airport and also has a stop in the parking lot of a Nordstrom department store--and the bus network in the city is pretty intensive.

Summers can get pretty hot and muggy, but so can summers in Chicago and NY. Taxes in Georgia are much lower than in Illinois and New York, and so is the cost of housing.

Atlanta gets tons of national touring shows and concerts, it's got professional sports, a bunch of colleges (200,000 college students), some excellent museums, lots of beautiful parks, and some really, really good independent restaurants. And even though a whole bunch of people in Atlanta come from somewhere else, there's still no shortage of beautiful Southern belles who can melt ice with their warm personalities and accents.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post
For a young college graduate like myself, re-locating to Atlanta seems to make almost perfect sense...

I mean look at the pro's
-Great weather
-Relatively low cost of living
-A lot of HOT Southern girls!
-Relatively safe ( especially compared to cities like Chicago, DC, and L.A )

Should this move be a no-brainer like it seems, or is there something I'm missing?
I don't think its weather is great at all.
It is cheap relative to the pay.
It's not particularly safe.
If you are a southerner and don't need to be near the ocean or real mountains, it is probably a decent choice.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
If you are a southerner and don't need to be near the ocean or real mountains, it is probably a decent choice.
I am I don't it is bye bye

Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Lovin.. now... be realistic. Just because people point out that Atlanta has horrible traffic and a big crime problem (and it DOES), that doesn't mean they should be labeled a "hater".

Atlanta has a strong job market. Closer to the city, the real estate market is doing fairly well too (aside from the overbuilding of condos). The MARTA rail system while not as good as it should be, is still better than some cities have. BUT.. and yes.. BUT... we do have a near out of control crime problem with certain types of crimes, and we do have a huge problem with uncontrolled and improperly planned sprawl in the metro region.

Atlanta is a perfect fit for some people - but it's Hell for others. Both are right. Many agree that it's very much overhyped by corporate headhunters and realtors across the U.S. as "the place" to live (especially for young blacks just out of college), but many when they get here post "this is it???" in the rooms.. you've seen the posts... admit it.

My suggestion - my STRONG one - is that anyone wishing to live here pay the city a visit first. If there's any way to swing it, a two week visit minimum, but longer if you can swing it. Find someone who's willing to be a guide for you. Explore the neighborhoods, streets, surburbs and inner city areas - not just the fluffy tourist stuff. THEN decide. Relocation is not a game, and picking a city... any city... just because you have heard it's a hot place to live and has cute women, 'aint the reason to pick it.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Atlanta is still a very unsophisticated town with glassy, high-rise towers just being slapped up to give the city a nice image.
Yeah, really unsophisticated compared to those paragons of sophistication like Philly, Hartford, Baltimore, Providence, and all the centers of sophistication in the midwest like Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc.

I'll grant you NYC, Boston, and even Chicago, but you also have to give credit where it's due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.