Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,092 times

Advertisements

Home is where your heart is, in my opinion. To call a place your hometown means that you like being associated with that place.

I was born in Jakarta, Indonesia, but moved to the US at the age of two (to Queens, New York City), and again to Maryland's DC suburbs at the age of seven. When asked where my hometown is, I'd certainly choose where I grew up in Maryland as opposed to Indonesia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
My hometown could be the town I grew up in or it could be the city where i've spent most of my adult life. It depends on the context I suppose.

It definitely is not the city where I was born or the suburb where I barely remember the first 3 years of my life.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
My "hometown" is the D.C. area and Maryland. I never resided anywhere else for any great length of time (even though I have property overseas). So, it's pretty simple.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,545 times
I'm a military brat, and my family no longer has any connections to my parents' (and my) home state. I tend to claim the place I was the longest. So my typical answer is "I was born in Ohio, but I went to Jr. High and High School in Ft. Walton Beach, FL."

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
Houston is my "hometown" and I didn't get there until I was 17. I grew up in a small town in East Texas, but was never content there. Houston was where I spent my adult years and made my life. It's where all my friends (including ones who are like family to me) still live. I went to college there. I owned three houses there with two wives. I built my career there. That's my hometown.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM

12 posts, read 18,081 times
I consider it being where you mainly grew up. For myself I was born in Schenectady, New York, I lived there until I turned 7, moved to Virginia(Triangle/Woodrbidge area) for 7 years, then stayed in FL(Space Coast) for about 6 months then back to VA then straight to KY. All of high school and now college in Kentucky.

If someone asks me I usually just say I was born in NY but somewhat grew up in VA because in comparison I remember being the ages 6 and 7 in NY, not much of the years before that, but in Virginia I remember a full 7 years of being a kid and going school there, although it still doesn't necessarily feel like it's my hometown.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Hometown to me is where you most feel at home. My hometown is Beaverton, Oregon, whenever I go back I just feel right at home. I lived there for the first 9 years of my life but still went back a lot because of my family living there.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I think it is pretty obvious that for a great majority of people, "hometown" refers to the place where they graduated (or dropped out) of high school. Not everyone, of course, because not all people are cut out with the same cookie cutter, and army brats, for example, would not necessarily fit this definition. But if you grew up in a fairly stable household (like at least 90% of the general population), your home town is the town where you went to high school and fled the nest.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
The first week after my move to Tennessee, I went to a supermarket in my town. In the area where the carts are, a man from the town newspaper sat at a table trying to get people to sign up to get the newspaper. I approached the table and we exchanged pleasantries and then he asked me the question, "Where are you from?" So I thought about it. Did he recognize my NY accent (where I spent most of my life)? Did he want to know which state (Maryland) I just moved from after 12 years? I didn't know how to answer. So I said something like "I just moved here to Tennessee this week. I lived in Maryland for 12 years before that. I was born in the Bronx, NY and lived on Long Island for most of my life except for 3 years when I lived in Washington, DC."

His response: "No, I meant which town did you come from today?" and then he rattled off the name of my town and 3 surrounding towns.

Try asking someone, "Where are you from?" to see how hard a question that is to answer.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think it is pretty obvious that for a great majority of people, "hometown" refers to the place where they graduated (or dropped out) of high school. Not everyone, of course, because not all people are cut out with the same cookie cutter, and army brats, for example, would not necessarily fit this definition. But if you grew up in a fairly stable household (like at least 90% of the general population), your home town is the town where you went to high school and fled the nest.
I've spent my entire teenagehood in Orange County (I'm 21 now), and I don't feel at home here one bit. I feel more at home in the place where my family is and where I spent my childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.