Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM

47 posts, read 122,047 times

Advertisements

For starters, I am a 21, almost 22 year old female. I am 2 years away from completing a BA but have opted to move, claim residency, and transfer. I can no longer take it at my current location and am in desperate need of a change of scenery. I am open to all opinions and welcome them.

If money were no object, I would live in Boston. However, money is limited as I'm a poor struggling student so I would prefer if the cities were affordable.

I'm looking for a city with good colleges, friendly people, and clean air. Weather doesnt really factor in as I like all weather. I love snow, and I absolutely ADORE humidity. My current location is a whole lotta dry.

I dont necessarily need it to be a large crowded city that is "hip with the youngsters". As long as there are entry level jobs and some single men I'm okay. I would like to find a husband I'm more of a laid back type of girl that likes concerts and biking. If the city doesnt have a great nightlife thats okay. My nightlife consists of chick flicks and ben and jerrys. I would prefer a city that isnt predominantly young because if I dont move, i dont want to end up feeling like a cadaver. Also, music and arts scenes are a huge plus because i spend most of my free time either painting or composing. ANY opinion is welcome. I am so frsutrated at this point.
I find a plus in a city only to be met with 35 negatives.

I have searched Denver, Colorado Springs, Sioux Falls SD, Des Moines IA, Boise, Austin, and of course, the out of reach dream: Boston. I'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Where do you live right now? It would definitely help.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM

oh right, Los Lunas New Mexico

Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,251 times
Try Milwaukee, Wisconsin as it is a friendly city with world-class universites yet also affordable.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,658 times
Well, if you have already researched Boise, you could also try checking out Salt Lake City. They seem pretty similar except SLC is a bit larger.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
If you want humidity and relatively cheap, Jackson, Mississippi. Really anywhere from North Carolina to about Houston.

In all seriousness, you probably want to search around this area for the school you want to transfer to, then go there, rather than pick a place, then pick whatever school you can find there.

What are you studying?

Eastern Texas and Louisiana are pretty close to you, if that matters.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Im a finance major. The main schools I have applied to are UT Austin and UMass Boston. I just dont think its likely that ill be able to afford UT so I see no point in living in Austin. I had also thought potentially Knoxville.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a city with good colleges, friendly people, and clean air. Weather doesnt really factor in as I like all weather. I love snow, and I absolutely ADORE humidity. My current location is a whole lotta dry.
Quote:
If money were no object, I would live in Boston. However, money is limited as I'm a poor struggling student so I would prefer if the cities were affordable.
Both sound like St. Louis to me. It might be too big for you, though. But it has some nightlife and stuff to do, humid and warm in the summer, 20 or so inches of snow in the winter. St. Louis is also pretty affordable. You can usually get a decent 1 BR for $500-$600/month. And there's also a train system. It's not extremely expansive, but it'll take you most touristy places and entertainment venues. MetroLink is $2 per ride each way, but you can buy weekly or monthly passes. There are also city busses.

Forbes also recently listed St. Louis as the #3 in their Best Cities to Buy a Home (though I assume you will be renting).

Again, it may be too big for you. St. Louis metro is about 2.8 million people, though the city is about 365,000. Denver metro is about 2.45 million and the city itself is about 588,349.

Wherever you choose, best of luck!

Also, as far as colleges, St. Louis has one of the best in the country, Washington University. There are also St. Louis University and University of Missouri St. Louis.

St. Louis also has some beautiful brick homes. Unfortunately, in the past 50 years some have been lost to the recking ball. But most are still there and in fine shape. I'll be honest, there are some areas of the city that are blighted, but mostly in the north part of the city. And even that area is beginning a slow but sure turn around. Like every major city, St. Louis has been effected by white flight in the last 50 years. But there are beautiful homes and neighborhoods.

St. Louis loves baseball and beer, but there are certainly things to do for those who don't share in that.

Also, as a finance major, what kind of job will you be looking for? Like accounting or...?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 08-01-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 07:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I was in a similar situation when I was 19 and moved to Louisville, KY from a nearby city. There could not have been a better place for me to move than L'ville: the people are extremely laid back and polite, crime is low, in the Eastern suburbs it is almost non existant. There is a great parks system, lots of shopping and restaurants, and traffic isn't much of an issue. You can go from quite suburbs where to vibrant urban neighborhoods to an increasingly vibrant downtown in 15 minutes.

Louisville, KY is currently completing a 110 mile long bike trail around the entire city, with 30 miles of the loop already complete. The 'Ville is extremely affordable (one bedroom in a great area goes for $425) and has a very vibrant arts scene for a city of 500,000. The largest outdoor art show in the US is the St James Court Art Show in L'ville It is also the 8th safest large city in the US. There are also lots of concerts at 4th Street Live and Waterfront Park

St James Court Art Show

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7144304/untitled.jpg (broken link)

Louisville Loop bike trail
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/5109096/mill-creek-bike-trail.jpg (broken link)

//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...to-sticky.html

Last edited by censusdata; 08-01-2008 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
If Boston is what you really have your heart set on, don't let money get in your way. It's a city full of impoverished students that need roommates. I think you should focus on making that happen if that's what your dream is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.