U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 AM

168 posts, read 423,065 times

Advertisements

108 degrees Sunday and Monday plus humidity. Is there anywhere in the country that has worse summer weather? Florida has the oceans and Arizona is much drier. Where else is it high 90's and above every day for months on end? Maybe New Dehli?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 AM

2,317 posts, read 3,269,463 times
You know it's bad when you'd rather go to work than stay home and work outside!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,439,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
108 degrees Sunday and Monday plus humidity. Is there anywhere in the country that has worse summer weather? Florida has the oceans and Arizona is much drier. Where else is it high 90's and above every day for months on end? Maybe New Dehli?
Is it going to be 108 in the Bay Area?

Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM

5,257 posts, read 11,866,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Since your post was moved from the Dallas, Texas forum, I'm assuming you're talking about Dallas. I'm sure there is the same summer weather some place, but I'm not sure where. It is miserable in north and central Texas right now with dangerous heat advisories posted. They say the heat index may reach 115 degrees on Sunday or Monday. It's depressing to have to stay inside and I have been for weeks now except very early in the morning when it's still 80 degrees or about 8:30 at night with a little daylight left. It's still in the 90s, but the sun setting helps to survive.

It's not hot in Dallas; the natives will agree with that. It's probably one of the worst places to live in the summer. Hey, we're neck in neck with Vegas and Phoenix right now or maybe even worse since the humidity is moderate. All I know is it's terribly miserable and I truly feel for people who don't have A/C. There have been several heat related deaths in Dallas so far; I hope this weekend doesn't end more lives in this very dangerous situation.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,829,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Since your post was moved from the Dallas, Texas forum, I'm assuming you're talking about Dallas. I'm sure there is the same summer weather some place, but I'm not sure where.

It's not hot in Dallas; the natives will agree with that. It's probably one of the worst places to live in the summer.
I can think of TONS of other places in the US that are HOT if not HOTTER than the North Texas region. Palm Springs comes to mind. YIKES! 108-115 EVERYDAY for weeks on end.

We have never said it is "not hot" here. Just that we can "cope with it" and can handle it KNOWING there are much worse places out there that we have experienced firsthand. Meanwhile, I'm headed to a pool party. One this afternoon for the kiddo's and an "Adults Only" one later this evening.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,119,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Meanwhile, I'm headed to a pool party. One this afternoon for the kiddo's and an "Adults Only" one later this evening.
aaahhhhh...want some company??!!

(Somehow I thought it would be a good idea to take my son to Arbor Hills this morning...we just got back (after a quick lunch at Mooyah's...yum!) and I am still wet from sweating!!!)

Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM

45 posts, read 172,612 times
I think Saudi Arabia is pretty terrible right now! Glad I'm not there! We have high humidity for a reason-- our beautiful lakes. While summer is unbearable, I think we have it pretty easy for the rest of the year, where you barely notice the season's changing. At least we don't shovel tons of snow. If we get snow or ice, it lasts a very short time. The hardest part about summer is lack of rain... cos then we get under watering restrictions and we're not only hot but have to see our yards and plants burn up as well. We're thinking of converting to gray water watering. Anybody done this?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,570,079 times
People are too accustomed to their AC's. Sure its hot. Guess what? It will be hot in Dallas every single year during the summer. Most of the south gets pretty bad heat all summer. As far as having the oceans in Florida, sure, if you live near the coastline. But its still hot, muggy, and uncomfortable. I spent the first 24 years of my life in south Mississippi. Its just as bad their, trust me.

Its funny, I don't get good cell phone reception in my apartment. So when someone calls, I go sit on a bench in front of the apt and chat. Really, I don't care what time of the day it is. I've gone out when it was 102 and sat for 30 minutes and talked to my brother. People driving by gawk because they can't believe someone would dare sit outside in this heat.

I guess I just can't understand what is so bad about it. The heat is only dangerous if you are elderly, have health issues, or you don't understand how to hydrate yourself properly and use the shade to your advantage. Outside of that, it is not dangerous at all. Heat advisory? Lol, I don't need an advisory to tell me its hot.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM

168 posts, read 423,065 times
This is for Happ who asked about the Bay area temps.

Forecast for San Francisco Bay Shoreline Hide
Updated: 9:38 am PDT on August 2, 2008
No Active Advisories (US Severe Weather)
cloudy
Today
Patchy low clouds and fog in the morning. Partly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs in the 60s to upper 70s. West winds 5 to 15 mph...becoming northwest 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_cloudy
Tonight
Patchy low clouds in the evening then widespread low clouds and fog. Lows in the lower to mid 50s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.
cloudy
Sunday
Widespread low clouds and fog in the morning. Partly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s to upper 60s. West winds 10 to 15 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_cloudy
Sunday Night
Areas of low clouds in the evening then widespread low clouds and fog. Lows in the upper 40s to mid 50s. West winds 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight.
cloudy
Monday
Widespread low clouds and fog in the morning then partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s to upper 60s. West winds 5 to 15 mph.
» ZIP Code Detail
nt_partlycloudy
Monday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s.
cloudy
Tuesday through Friday
Widespread night and morning low clouds and fog with partial afternoon clearing. Highs in the mid 50s to upper 60s. Lows in the mid 50s.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 PM

21,213 posts, read 36,837,458 times
It's not the heat but the humidity. I just checked the weather observations near the Kansas City metro area and the temperatures are in the upper 90s with HEAT INDICIES in excess of 110F. That is quite dangerous for that area of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or