Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse?
Too hot 169 57.88%
Too cold 123 42.12%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times

Advertisements

You just assumed way too much. I'm just not a baby when it comes to heat. I bike regularly, and prefer heat because it keeps all the pansies off the trails so they can sit under the AC and whine about how hot it is. Maybe you don't exercise enough and thats why you get headaches and nausea. Or maybe your nutrition isn't up to par. Drop all the processed junk and eat whole foods. Drink lots of clean water. I'd be happy to give you more tips on things that will keep the heat from kicking your butt like it apparently does.

BTW, I spent the summer of 2000 in TX as a welder in a shop with no air conditioning (most shops don't have A/C). It got up to 100 a lot that year, and over 110 more than once. 8 hour shifts. Wearing leather sleeves to protect the arms from sparks and UV light from the welding arc. Add a hat, welding hood, thick welding gloves, apron, jeans, and steel toed boots to that as well. And you even get to fire up a hot torch to do some cutting if you are feeling a bit chilly!

On one of the hottest days that summer when it reached around 110, I worked a full shift, went home and ate, cleaned up, took a short nap, and then took off to Ozzfest at the Starplex where it was nice and toasty with the sun baking the stage and all the covered seating until almost 9. I'm quiet sure that under the covered area was at least still 105 by the time we left near midnight. Good times!

Last edited by TXboomerang; 08-03-2008 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,924,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You just assumed way too much. I'm just not a baby when it comes to heat. I bike regularly, and prefer heat because it keeps all the pansies off the trails so they can sit under the AC and whine about how hot it is. Maybe you don't exercise enough and thats why you get headaches and nausea. Or maybe your nutrition isn't up to par. Drop all the processed junk and eat whole foods. Drink lots of clean water. I'd be happy to give you more tips on things that will keep the heat from kicking your butt like it apparently does.

ok....my bad about assuming. Actually, I play baseball for my school, and running 3 miles in the scorching heat last year in August (103 degrees) was quite brutal. And I'm actually in pretty good shape, I'm just a wimp when it comes to the heat, I don't know why though. And for some reason, I feel A LOT more tired when I run in the heat than the cold. the heat kinda.....aggravates me. Don't get me wrong though, I like jumping in the pool as much as the next guy....I just like jumping in a snowpile better.

haha I'm just like you but quite the opposite, I like being outside in the cold because it keeps all the people who whine about how cold it is inside, and it's a lt less crowded

truce?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,924,138 times
Quote:

BTW, I spent the summer of 2000 in TX as a welder in a shop with no air conditioning (most shops don't have A/C). It got up to 100 a lot that year, and over 110 more than once. 8 hour shifts. Wearing leather sleeves to protect the arms from sparks and UV light from the welding arc. Add a hat, welding hood, thick welding gloves, apron, jeans, and steel toed boots to that as well. And you even get to fire up a hot torch to do some cutting if you are feeling a bit chilly!

On one of the hottest days that summer when it reached around 110, I worked a full shift, went home and ate, cleaned up, took a short nap, and then took off to Ozzfest at the Starplex where it was nice and toasty with the sun baking the stage and all the covered seating until almost 9. I'm quiet sure that under the covered area was at least still 105 by the time we left near midnight. Good times!
damn!!!! that sounds insanely hot!!! I bet you enjoyed it though . I know I probably would've gotten heat stroke

kinda reminds me when I went to Saranac Lake, NY in Mid-January 2004, and one morning it was -37F with a stiff north wind, soo much fun!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,223,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
ok....my bad about assuming. Actually, I play baseball for my school, and running 3 miles in the scorching heat last year in August (103 degrees) was quite brutal. And I'm actually in pretty good shape, I'm just a wimp when it comes to the heat, I don't know why though. And for some reason, I feel A LOT more tired when I run in the heat than the cold. the heat kinda.....aggravates me. Don't get me wrong though, I like jumping in the pool as much as the next guy....I just like jumping in a snowpile better.

haha I'm just like you but quite the opposite, I like being outside in the cold because it keeps all the people who whine about how cold it is inside, and it's a lt less crowded

truce?
The heat makes people grumpy, I do believe, and it's very brutal. I can't imagine anyone not being tired after runnng three miles in the heat. The heat knocks most people "for a loop" and I certainly wouldn't think one a pansy or wimp for not exercising in the heat. Actually, I feel for the kids in Texas who will begin two-a-days next week. It's ridiculous. Keep up the good work with your sports and hopefully, you won't get too aggravated. You're definitely not a wimp!!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,681,052 times
Quote:

Oooh Ozzfest at the Starplex, what punishment.....
You think you're pretty tough?

I was a UPS driver in Dallas/Richardson/Plano for nearly 15 years. Try hustling a truckload of boxes all day every day with 125+ degree heat boiling up off the concrete pavement cooking you alive. Year after year after year.

Think about that next time you see one of those folks, as you're walking to your air conditioned car on your way to your air conditioned office......think about the UPS drivers, the hot tar roofers, the guys pouring concrete, the immigrants mowing yards for minimum wage, road construction workers....

I will never forget one blistering summer afternoon I was at a red light on Plano Parkway and I thought I was going to pass out if that light didn't turn green so I could get some air moving through that UPS truck, and there was a Mexican working a jackhhammer down a construction hole in the street next to me. I looked down there at him, working in 200 decibel bone grinding noise and vibration, down in that hot, airless, concrete hole--and I never felt quite so sorry for anybody in my life.

Ozzfest indeed......

Last edited by azoria; 08-04-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 AM

655 posts, read 2,175,232 times
I love hot weather - but if my AC isn't working, I'm not quite as thrilled about it.

lol.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,979,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuft View Post
it doesn't "take an hour" to pull everything out. Just keep a hat and some thick gloves in your coat's pockets.

You don't have to truly bundle up a ton and unleash the long underwear and snow pants unless you're skiing or something.
Well there was a poster earlier in this thread who claimed he spent 8 hours in -80 degree windchills. I think more than just a hat, thick gloves, and a coat would be required.

I moved to Arizona from Central New Jersey. I remember being annoyed during periods when the temperature would drop below 25. I would have to wear thermals, a long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, and a thick coat just to stay warm. If there was snow I would wear jeans and water-repellent pants on top of them. On my feet I would wear two pairs of socks, then have to contend with lacing my boots all the way up, so that the snow wouldn't get inside of them. Then, I would have to grab a wool hat and then water-repellent gloves. Not to mention that by the time I was dressed, I'd be sweating from the effort and the heat in my house, only to go outside and my have my sweat turn cold.

Do you think that kind of effort provides any incentive to go outside during the winter?

These people in colder areas who are running outside in these thin fleeces, and the most obnoxious article of clothing ever invented, the sleeveless down vest, are not warm. They are not fooling anyone.

Hot weather all the way.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,566,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Well there was a poster earlier in this thread who claimed he spent 8 hours in -80 degree windchills. I think more than just a hat, thick gloves, and a coat would be required.

I moved to Arizona from Central New Jersey. I remember being annoyed during periods when the temperature would drop below 25. I would have to wear thermals, a long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, and a thick coat just to stay warm. If there was snow I would wear jeans and water-repellent pants on top of them. On my feet I would wear two pairs of socks, then have to contend with lacing my boots all the way up, so that the snow wouldn't get inside of them. Then, I would have to grab a wool hat and then water-repellent gloves. Not to mention that by the time I was dressed, I'd be sweating from the effort and the heat in my house, only to go outside and my have my sweat turn cold.

Do you think that kind of effort provides any incentive to go outside during the winter?

These people in colder areas who are running outside in these thin fleeces, and the most obnoxious article of clothing ever invented, the sleeveless down vest, are not warm. They are not fooling anyone.

Hot weather all the way.
I went to college near Chicago & remember that if you went outside right after a shower that your hair would freeze during winter no lie. If you had a mustache it would also freeze stiff by just the condensation of breathing in sub-freezing temps [that went on for days & weeks]. A car door lock won't open unless you use graphite & people have to put heaters under their cars if the garage isn't heated in order to start the car in the morning.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,223,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Oooh Ozzfest at the Starplex, what punishment.....
You think you're pretty tough?

I was a UPS driver in Dallas/Richardson/Plano for nearly 15 years. Try hustling a truckload of boxes all day every day with 125+ degree heat boiling up off the concrete pavement cooking you alive. Year after year after year.

Think about that next time you see one of those folks, as you're walking to your air conditioned car on your way to your air conditioned office......think about the UPS drivers, the hot tar roofers, the guys pouring concrete, the immigrants mowing yards for minimum wage, road construction workers....

I will never forget one blistering summer afternoon I was at a red light on Plano Parkway and I thought I was going to pass out if that light didn't turn green so I could get some air moving through that UPS truck, and there was a Mexican working a jackhhammer down a construction hole in the street next to me. I looked down there at him, working in 200 decibel bone grinding noise and vibration, down in that hot, airless, concrete hole--and I never felt quite so sorry for anybody in my life.

Ozzfest indeed......
Yep, when push comes to shove, the heat is A-okay as long as one can run to the A/C or jump in a pool. I feel very sorry for those who have to work in the heat all day long. I know I couldn't do it. As I stated above, I feel sorry for the kids who have to start football in these brutal weather. It's so senseless.

I remember coming back from Dallas a few years ago and having to stop many times because my friend was looking for some car part or something. He didn't have A/C in his car and I actually thought I was going to scream and go totally crazy because I was so hot. I could not wait to get home and cool off.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 AM

763 posts, read 2,252,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
But wouldn't you prefer to just walk outside without having to put more clothes on? Its a lot cheaper when one doesn't have to buy extra clothing [ie wear flip flops all year].
Easier, yes, but anything above 80 is too hot, and you get arrested if you go naked. A pair of Carhartts, an ECW coat, decent gloves, and a fur hat and you're good to about -20, add a balaclava and insulated socks, and you're good to about -50 for quite a while.

ETA: I've also done commercial fishing in 90+ weather, wearing heavy duty rain gear, and I'll take the -45 for two weeks rather than one day of the 90 in rain gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.