Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you recommend?
Honolulu 2 8.33%
Las Vegas 2 8.33%
LA 0 0%
San Diego 3 12.50%
Portland 3 12.50%
San Fran 3 12.50%
Seattle 3 12.50%
Stay in Cleveland 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 AM

211 posts, read 299,513 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Due to some changes at my job, I might be able to work remotely from home. knock on wood.... My GF and I are a little sick and tired of the upper "midWASTE." I've lived there for my whole life. My GF is in a field which is very in demand anywhere so she should not have a problem moving to any middle tier or bigger city. We are both in our mid to late 20s.

We are looking for the following:

1. Somewhere warm! We are ok with 30s and occasional dips below freezing.
2. Somewhere with a decent amount of asians. My GF is asian and frankly I love Chinese and Japanese food as well. So we are looking for somewhere that has a size able asian population.
3. I'm not sure about the cost of living but we are ok with middle or slightly high cost of living.
4. Would like mountains and an ocean. Growing up in the midwaste, I never had a chance to enjoy real beauty.
5. A place that is somewhat easy to make new friends that aren't too pretentious and a place that is generally pretty accepting of outsiders.

My list currently includes:

1. Honolulu - Hawaii may be off the list because I would need to travel approximately once a month and sometimes I would need to head towards the east coast.
2. LA
3. SF
4. Las Vegas
5. Portland
6. Seattle
7. San Diego
8. Stay in Cleveland

I was thinking about adding DC and Houston to the list as well.
Are there any other cities that I should consider?

Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year!

Last edited by xfactor85; 12-24-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
I would still choose Honolulu. Otherwise, go for San Diego or LA. Close enough to visit Hawaii AND the East.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
San Fran AIN'T warm, and Las Vegas is tacky, and vile. So, pick either San Diego or Honolulu!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:55 PM

211 posts, read 299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
San Fran AIN'T warm, and Las Vegas is tacky, and vile. So, pick either San Diego or Honolulu!
SF is warm compared to the upper midwaste.

I just don't like cold weather like anything below 30.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
If slightly high cost of living is all you can handle you eliminated most of your choices. Vegas and Portland are about it unless you will be living in a distant suburb of the other cities.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 PM

136 posts, read 330,149 times
My top suggestion would be the SF bay area. The whole area from SF to San Jose to Hayward has lots of Asians- as far as percentage of the population, only Honolulu is higher. It doesn't get freezing cold and while the cost of living can be high, the generally high average pay makes up for it. There are also lots of people from other states and countries in the area and the people are not overly pretentious.

Seattle is my next suggestion- a decent amount of Asians, fairly high but manageable cost of living, not too many pretentious people, and fine weather if you can deal with rain.

Portland is okay, but there are less Asians than Seattle.

Honolulu has a high cost of living, but unlike the SF bay area, the average pay is below average in many fields. Taking flights regularly would make it even more expensive. Honolulu does have warm weather, lots of Asians, and beautiful scenery if those are your priorities.

I found many people in LA to be overly pretentious, so I would preferably avoid there. It does have warm weather and lots of Asians though.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,521 times
Atlanta (Gwinnett County)

Gwinnett County has a huge Asian population. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world so your once a month travels will be easy with direct flights. We have a few mountains in Metro Atlanta and the plenty of mountains are an hour north. We dont have a beach but we have Lake Lanier close by. We have
H-marts. We have a cheaper COL, beautiful topography, plenty of young people, plenty of festivals and music festivals, no snow, etc

Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times
We are looking for the following:
1. Warm - Charlseton, S.C.
2. Asians- So so Charleston, S.C.
3. Cost - higher along the coast, but much cheaper than the midwaste as you put it. Charleston, S.C.
4. Ocean- Charleston, S.C. - mountains about two hours away.
4a. Real beauty- yep!
5. Friendly - Hey it's the south and is noted for that.
Batting 1000. Charleston

1. Somewhere warm! We are ok with 30s and occasional dips below freezing.
2. Somewhere with a decent amount of asians. My GF is asian and frankly I love Chinese and Japanese food as well. So we are looking for somewhere that has a size able asian population.
3. I'm not sure about the cost of living but we are ok with middle or slightly high cost of living.
4. Would like mountains and an ocean. Growing up in the midwaste, I never had a chance to enjoy real beauty.
5. A place that is somewhat easy to make new friends that aren't too pretentious and a place that is generally pretty accepting of outsiders.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:58 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,624,238 times
You might also check out Austin, We're 3 hours from the Gulf and the Texas Beaches and while there aren't mountains we have the Texas Hill Country with some pretty big hills also have a lot of Asians.

Austin, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin, TX | Explore Hotels, Music, Restaurants, and Things to Do

The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce - Connect. Impact. Prosper.

Austin home to growing Asian-American population | kvue.com Austin

Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
San Diego also has a growing and decent-sized Asian population-mainly Indian, Filipino, Japanese and some Chinese and Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.