Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 AM

32 posts, read 46,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its outrageous...

and its better than grown men and women making 7 something an hour. its better than single moms struggling to make ends meet.

why should the top make most of the money and everybody else suffer? these guys ride around in 300k cars and fly in private jets, meanwhile ppl like us take the train to work and can barely afford that.

the cost of living has raised over the years but min wage takes forever to raise. its not right.

So you acually think everything will be better for all if there was forced minimum wage of 15-200$ and hour? You can't be serious. Why not look at the reasons prices rise in the first place over a long term. Learn about inflation and the government habits that create it.

Last edited by Kakarot2; 04-09-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakarot2 View Post
So you acually think everything will be better for all if there was forced minimum wage of 15-200$ and hour? You can't be serious. Why not look at the reasons prices rise in the first place over a long term. Learn about inflation and the government habits and create it.

Then fast food restaurants will just add a zero to the sign and make it a $10 value menu.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
I personally believe that anyone who works hard should earn enough money to afford at least a baseline living in the area in which he/she lives. The government should not step in unless this one criteria is not met.
How do you determine the 'area'? What if COL in one county is 2x what it is in the next? Do people have to work where they live or could I live in the cheaper COL area yet work in the higher COL area?

And, what is 'working hard'? Who decides how hard you work? By nature some jobs are more mentally or physically challenging...how will you equate them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its outrageous...

and its better than grown men and women making 7 something an hour. its better than single moms struggling to make ends meet.

why should the top make most of the money and everybody else suffer? these guys ride around in 300k cars and fly in private jets, meanwhile ppl like us take the train to work and can barely afford that.

the cost of living has raised over the years but min wage takes forever to raise. its not right.
LOL...you are so clueless. Just how many people do you think own $300,000 cars and private jets??

Yes, let's destroy the entire economy to punish a few rich people. Smart plan.....NOT!!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakarot2 View Post
So you acually think everything will be better for all if there was forced minimum wage of 15-200$ and hour? You can't be serious. Why not look at the reasons prices rise in the first place over a long term. Learn about inflation and the government habits that create it.
Inflation in America probably has a closer correlation to increasingly higher loan interest rates than social welfare. The United States spends less on domestic social programs than any other industrialized country and I think it is starting to show.

On minimum wage - I think that we should pay people a livable wage, depending on the cost of living. If a person works 40 hrs/week at McDonald's and still cant cover their basic needs, that's basically legalized slavery. Just because a person is an unskilled worker doesn't mean they have to be impoverished.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Inflation in America probably has a closer correlation to increasingly higher loan interest rates than social welfare. The United States spends less on domestic social programs than any other industrialized country and I think it is starting to show.

On minimum wage - I think that we should pay people a livable wage, depending on the cost of living. If a person works 40 hrs/week at McDonald's and still cant cover their basic needs, that's basically legalized slavery. Just because a person is an unskilled worker doesn't mean they have to be impoverished.
And so the teenager who works at McDonalds should get paid less than the single mom....one has considerably lower cost of living expenses. The teenager just wants pocket money and to save up for a car. The single mom needs rent money, utilities, put food on the table, etc. If one guy has 5 kids he gets paid more than the single mom for the same work....his cost of living is higher.

So, wages aren't going to be determined by the job anymore but rather how much someone needs to get paid. Heck, why should anyone try to better themselves when they can live just fine flipping burgers? When that single mom has another kid with no daddy around she can just get a raise.... cost of living expenses just went up!! Why save up for a car that you can afford, even if it is a beater. Go get yourself a nicer car and tell your boss to increase your pay because your cost of living expenses just went up. Why should she have to look impoverished and drive a beater car and live in a crappy apartment??

Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM

491 posts, read 748,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
And so the teenager who works at McDonalds should get paid less than the single mom....one has considerably lower cost of living expenses. The teenager just wants pocket money and to save up for a car. The single mom needs rent money, utilities, put food on the table, etc. If one guy has 5 kids he gets paid more than the single mom for the same work....his cost of living is higher.

So, wages aren't going to be determined by the job anymore but rather how much someone needs to get paid. Heck, why should anyone try to better themselves when they can live just fine flipping burgers? When that single mom has another kid with no daddy around she can just get a raise.... cost of living expenses just went up!! Why save up for a car that you can afford, even if it is a beater. Go get yourself a nicer car and tell your boss to increase your pay because your cost of living expenses just went up. Why should she have to look impoverished and drive a beater car and live in a crappy apartment??
No one should have to better themselves that is just your opinion because you think everyone should be as high up as you are. Some people just have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
10 dollars an hour would help a lot. It might at least get people over the poverty level.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:04 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I understand that raising the minimum wage hurts businesses. But I think everyone deserves enough money to survive. Of course minimum wage should vary depending on cost of living, but it should be higher than it is now. Maybe people would stop thinking they're too good for minimum wage jobs if minimum wage was high enough that you could survive on it. One of the main reasons I went to college is so I won't be stuck working minimum wage jobs for the rest of my life and living with my parents.

Even if someone's only capable of getting a minimum wage job, why should they suffer and not make enough money to live on their own?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Even if someone's only capable of getting a minimum wage job, why should they suffer and not make enough money to live on their own?
Why should someone need to live on their own? Why are people too good to live with room mates?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
Why should someone need to live on their own? Why are people too good to live with room mates?
By live on their own, I meant not live with your parents. Even with a roommate, it would be hard to live on minimum wage and the person would likely live with their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.