Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times

Advertisements

haha oh yea, the Canadian accent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 PM

489 posts, read 1,320,393 times
cot/caught, merry/marry/Mary pronounced the same- I actually tried to pronouce them differently and couldn't seem to figure it out, lol. I am a Los Angeles native.

I do tend to pronounce don/dawn the same too, but I can at least distinguish the difference, unlike the other ones.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
I notice lots of people pronounce the T in often. Do you? (I don't)

How about the C in Arctic? Most people do, but I don't ( I say, "ar-tic") Not sure if I was taught that in school, or where that came from. Any one else say it that way? If yes, where are you/your parents from?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
cot/caught, merry/marry/Mary pronounced the same- I actually tried to pronouce them differently and couldn't seem to figure it out, lol. I am a Los Angeles native.

I do tend to pronounce don/dawn the same too, but I can at least distinguish the difference, unlike the other ones.
do you pronounce "ought" like "ot" or "awt"? That really helped me to figure out the difference in caught & cot. It took me awhile to realize it but I found that I do pronounce them slightly different.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM

434 posts, read 1,159,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
haha oh yea, the Canadian accent!

No, definitely not a Canadian accent. LOL

Old 08-27-2011, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 827 times
Default Cot vs. Caught

I'm from North Eastern Ohio, with southern roots. Generally speaking, I pronounce cot and caught differently, as I now live in the middle of Columbus, Ohio. But occasionally when I slip into my childhood dialect the two words sound exactly the same. I can actually switch back and forth between three accents.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 AM

88,013 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress9 View Post
I'm from North Eastern Ohio, with southern roots. Generally speaking, I pronounce cot and caught differently, as I now live in the middle of Columbus, Ohio. But occasionally when I slip into my childhood dialect the two words sound exactly the same. I can actually switch back and forth between three accents.
That's funny how that works. My niece was just visiting me this week in NJ from MA where she now lives. She said something and then laughed and exclaimed, "A week here and I'm getting my Jersey accent back!"

My friend's father was a Brit who moved to the US when he married my friend's mother in his 20's. Every time he went back across the pond to visit his family, he came back with a heavy British accent.

Re the Don and Dawn: I'd once gotten a list of names by phone of people to attend a meeting. I was expecting one of them to be a man named Don, and he turned out to be a woman named Dawn.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:48 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,214,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I pronounce them the same, Im originally from Massachusetts.
Born/raised in Mass. Slight difference on COT/CAUGHT...significant difference on Merry and Mary. Not much difference at all on Don/Dawn.

With a transient society and the amount of television jammed into the skulls of the new generation--you can almost hear accents diminshing.

Good thread.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Does anyone pronounce route and root the same?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Does anyone pronounce route and root the same?
I don't (native Texan). I almost always pronounce it as "rout"...the noteable exception being when I might happen to mention "root" 66 in an historical context! LOL

That is to say, telling someone, when giving directions, to "take this (rout) to get (wherever). Or, in reference to something local and I am in the car with the other person, "ok, take this "rout" at the next cut-off. Interesting question as to how we all do it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.