Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 PM

909 posts, read 545,034 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand the New York, New York and Brooklyn, New York thing. Isn't Brooklyn part of NYC? Isn't it one of the five boroughs? That's just ludicrous if you ask me. Could of been room for another city on the list. I blame Forbes.
The 20 Happiest Cities To Work In Right Now | Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
You know the list is B.S when Miami is the happiest place to work in

Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
I just don't understand the New York, New York and Brooklyn, New York thing. Isn't Brooklyn part of NYC? Isn't it one of the five boroughs? That's just ludicrous if you ask me. Could of been room for another city on the list. I blame Forbes.
The 20 Happiest Cities To Work In Right Now | Forbes
As a native New Yorker, that bothers the hell out of me and I'm not really sure why. I also hate it when people on C-D try to compare Brooklyn to other cities (Brooklyn vs. Chicago, Brooklyn vs. Philadelphia, etc.). For all its merits, Brooklyn simply isn't a complete city and would have some very serious work to do to become one if Manhattan were to spontaneously explode.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 9,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I can think of several professions where Miami would be an amazing place to work. However, most of them are illegal.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
As a native New Yorker, that bothers the hell out of me and I'm not really sure why. I also hate it when people on C-D try to compare Brooklyn to other cities (Brooklyn vs. Chicago, Brooklyn vs. Philadelphia, etc.). For all its merits, Brooklyn simply isn't a complete city and would have some very serious work to do to become one if Manhattan were to spontaneously explode.
While I agree with the OP that Brooklyn shouldn't be on the list, I don't get this attitude at all. What "serious work" does Brooklyn have to do to become a "complete" city? Brooklyn was the third largest city in the country when it was a separate city in the first place. It still has all of the amenities that would make a place a city... even its own city hall, separate public library system, postal address, etc. Granted, it is not a city in administrative sense, and that's the reason it should not be on the list, not because it is not a "complete" city.. whatever that means.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I'm in Miami and I am happy. So there!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
While I agree with the OP that Brooklyn shouldn't be on the list, I don't get this attitude at all. What "serious work" does Brooklyn have to do to become a "complete" city? Brooklyn was the third largest city in the country when it was a separate city in the first place. It still has all of the amenities that would make a place a city... even its own city hall, separate public library system, postal address, etc. Granted, it is not a city in administrative sense, and that's the reason it should not be on the list, not because it is not a "complete" city.. whatever that means.
If Manhattan were gone and Brooklyn were independent, it would be virtually tied with Chicago as the second-biggest city in America, after No. 1 Los Angeles (remember, in this model, New York City doesn't exist). And what do you get in the second-biggest city in America? You get a downtown that's nowhere near up to par with cities of comparable size. You get a job market that would be considered a national joke. (I lived in New York City for 14 years, up until three years ago, and didn't know a single person who worked in Brooklyn, except my brother, who had an unpaid internship there working for a hipster clothing company for around six months -- a company that was a hot commodity at the time but no longer exists.) You don't have the world-class arts and entertainment that a city of that size demands -- no great symphony, no great ballet, no great opera, no great theater scene. You have a very good museum in the Brooklyn Museum, but one that's perpetually struggling, doesn't have the marquee works of art you'd expect to see in such a place and isn't joined by any critical mass of comparable institutions. You don't have a seriously high-end shopping drag, like a Fifth Avenue or a Michigan Avenue or a Rodeo Drive.

Now, you may say: "Well, Brooklyn doesn't have these things because Manhattan exists. If Manhattan were nuked off the face of the earth, Brooklyn would get them." But that's my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.