Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,924,138 times

Advertisements

averages for Denver, CO Nov-March:

Nov: 54/23
Dec: 48/17
Jan: 47/16
Feb: 50/19
Mar: 56/25

considering the avg. high is 47 during January which is only 1 degree colder than the avg.high of where I used to live in North GA. the avg.high in Denver is 60+ from Apr 4- Nov 1, 7 months out of the year. I'm saying all of this because people make it seem like Denver has endless, frigid winters....when the opposite is actually correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is 103 degrees the AVERAGE high? The average high in Denver is 88 July, which IS warm. You can't take above average temperatures then apply them as being the norm. You're splitting hairs here....
No, I'm not splitting hairs. If the average high is 88, that is hot, not warm. That can include a 103 degree day, also a day where the high is 70. You have no idea how the weather works here if you think there are few extremes. 103 is not the average, but it is certainly not unusual. We generally have at least one 100 degree day every summer. 32 average days of 90+ degrees is also hot, not warm. No one who lives here would say the summer is "warm". Warm to me is 75-80 or so, not 88.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
Okay, so I think we can all agree that Chicago is a fairly cold city. If you compare the two cities average temperatures throughout the year, On average: Denver is 7 degrees warmer than Chicago (highs), and Denver is 10 degrees cooler than Chicago (lows). So what that means is that on average Chicago is 3 degrees above Denver, making Denver a cold city. Also since the humidity is much higher in Chicago and cities over there you can even add that it feels warmer than that.

Noone here is saying that Denver doesnt get hot, but yes it does get cold. Also that 103 degrees is nowhere near average. The ALL TIME HIGH for Denver is 103 degrees...Also Denver gets 60 inches of snow a year.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, I'm not splitting hairs. If the average high is 88, that is hot, not warm. That can include a 103 degree day, also a day where the high is 70. You have no idea how the weather works here if you think there are few extremes. 103 is not the average, but it is certainly not unusual. We generally have at least one 100 degree day every summer. 32 average days of 90+ degrees is also hot, not warm. No one who lives here would say the summer is "warm". Warm to me is 75-80 or so, not 88.
I never said I thought there were few extremes. Where I grew up (walnut creek, ca) the average high in July and August is 87. But the high temperature all summer ranged from 70-105. Upper 80's with a low humidity I don't think is hot, 90's+ is hot but w/o humidity 80's doesn't feel that "hot" to me. All I was saying is that you are taking some above average extremes then using that as some case for Denver being hot when the average is 88. Just b/c you had a 103 degree temp the other day doesn't mean Denver is not cold. Anyplace that can get into the negative 20's IS COLD.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Okay, so I think we can all agree that Chicago is a fairly cold city. If you compare the two cities average temperatures throughout the year, On average: Denver is 7 degrees warmer than Chicago (highs), and Denver is 10 degrees cooler than Chicago (lows). So what that means is that on average Chicago is 3 degrees above Denver, making Denver a cold city. You dont believe me here is the proof:

Noone here is saying that Denver doesnt get hot, but yes it does get cold. Also that 103 degrees is nowhere near average. The ALL TIME HIGH for Denver is 103 degrees...Also Denver gets 60 inches of snow a year.
The all time high for Denver is 105, set in 2005. And I repeat, it is not unusual to get 100 degree days in the summer.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The all time high for Denver is 105, set in 2005. And I repeat, it is not unusual to get 100 degree days in the summer.
why are you repeating that? No one is arguing that Denver doesn't have 100 degree days or that it doesn't get hot. Some 100 degree days in summer still doesn't change the fact of how cold it is in winter.
weather.com shows the highest temp in Denver at 103: http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
Excuse me, my post keeps messing up for no reason and its not posting my link right. Lets see if it does it right this time:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ocid2=USIL0225

That should be comparing Chicago and Denver on weather.com. Also on weather.com it says that the highest recorded temperature ever in Denver was 103 degrees, and its pretty credible as far as temperatures.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,193,270 times
Compared to where i live in the hot desert, Denver is cold in the winter. But it's not a bad thing. I like rainy and snowy weather, yet i live in the hot dry desert with giant field roaches that terrorize us on the streets at night in the summer. It's only because my other half makes more money than I do, that's why I stay put for the time being.
I do have a brother in Denver, and he tells tales of freezing his butt off in the winter..trying to get his car key in a frozen lock. Oh the fun it of all.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM

366 posts, read 1,368,183 times
ok maybe you guys read it wrong. I didnt say it never gets cold in denver. I said that it seems like people think it is the north pole (its ALWAYS cold and snowy).

Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
ok maybe you guys read it wrong. I didnt say it never gets cold in denver. I said that it seems like people think it is the north pole (its ALWAYS cold and snowy).
Just like people think Michigan is cold, Chicago is cold, and NYC is cold. That is just how people are. It doesn't matter how hot it gets in the summer, it still gets COLD in the winter. That is why people think it is cold in those places, including Denver. That is not to say they are cold all the time, but in the winter, they are cold. People that think it is cold year round are ignorant fools.

Story time. When I lived in Kentucky, I told people I was going to Michigan. They asked if I was bringing a coat. This was in July. My friend got sunburned on his trip to Boston the week before. The good folks in Kentucky were confused; evidiently they don't realize that Boston is not snowy year round. Northern cities do have seasons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.