U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 81,795 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40 year old mom of two children, aged 5 and 2. I've lived in Florida for 28 years and am ready to move. We relocated here from upstate NY when I was a kid.

Without going into too much griping about FL, I'll give you the reasons we want to leave: looking for a family friendly place to raise our children, we really don't like the heat...would prefer somewhere there is a change of seasons....cold and snow is ok....we're not afraid of it! Low crime rate is a must as are good public schools. We both work...I as an accountant (CPA), hubby in real estate, so a decent job market is important. Most important of all, we really want to find a place where other people are raising families and where we and our children can make friends and enjoy activities with other families. We prefer not to have to commute too far to work, and don't care to be in the heart of a big city.

Just to give you an idea financially where we stand now in FL....to buy a home that meets our requirements for our family of four, around 2000 sq feet or so, would now cost us about $400,000, maybe more like $420,000+ if it has a pool. If we don't leave FL, we'll need to find a house like this in the next year, as our home is just too small. My annual salary is $62,000, which equates to about $800 take home a week after taxes and insurance benefits for myself and family.....this is actually a pretty decent salary for the area, but not really that great for my experience level and education.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking? We're pretty much open to anywhere except CA, TX and FL. I'm just starting to look into jobs, home prices, etc, and would love to hear from others who've relocated from FL and are happy with the move. I've thought about TN, NC, CO, WI so far....would welcome any other tips.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,479,636 times
I think you'll find lots of people who second your list of Tennessee, North Carolina, Colorado, and Wisconsin. I think there are fantastic places to live in all of them and they all definitely have four seasons.
Tennessee and North Carolina are, in my opinion...exceptionally beautiful. Wisconsin is beautiful, but the winters are just a tad harsh for my tastes and the mosquitoes in the summer... they have the multi-drillers.
North Carolina is the focus of many people's dreams right now. Tens of thousands are moving there and the western part especially is attracting a lot of attention. It is God's Land really, unbelievably beautiful.
Colorado is another place those who live there tend to love, though I'm not that familiar with it.
My personal favorite as an Ex-Nevadan and native Californian is where I am now in Southwest Missouri. It's cheap, friendly, low taxes, inexpensive housing, good schools, and the local economy seems to be good and diversified. There's little racial diversity here. It's overwhelmingly white, but I stopped noticing that after a couple of months after I arrived.
The schools are good too and the country here is gorgeous.
Good luck in finding your home!
Just make sure to check property tax rates wherever you find that you think you might want to live.
Check the state income tax rates.
Try to get onto local MLS boards if they're open to the public so you can see what kind of homes are available and for how much. (the local here is SpringfieldMOMLSdotcom and it's open to the public).
And then, once you think you've found the right place, make sure to physically visit it and drive around and look at it yourself.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 81,795 times
Multi drillers I have a hard enough time with the wimpy FL one shot wonders!

Seriously, though...thanks for that info...I'll add your suggestion of SW MO to my list. Honestly, after the changes I've seen here in FL, less diversity is not a problem.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is narrow down a couple of areas that we can plan vacations to check out.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM

6,340 posts, read 15,203,418 times
momof--I too was relocated to FL from upstate NY as a kid. I left FL during college and never looked back. I still have family in FL and enjoy visiting them there, but am glad I didn't have to raise my kids there. I think you'd enjoy WI--of all the states I've visited, it reminds me most of upstate NY. The Madison area has excellent schools, is family friendly, and has tons of cultural activities. It's a growing area, so oughta be job prospects there. I live in St Paul MN, which I like very much, and meets all of your criteria, except size-- metro area of 3.2 million may be too big for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2007, 08:32 PM

15,599 posts, read 37,087,146 times
It's on the other end of the planet from you...but check out Soldotna, Alaska. It's just like what you describe your looking for. Might be some usefull info at www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/
Fairly young town (one of the twin cities it's called here) and growing. Nice family place. Great place for kids and adults. Doesn't get to hot or to cold. No snakes either!

Old 01-27-2007, 06:47 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,617,095 times
NC is a great place. If you're in the finance field and real estate, Charlotte is a GREAT area to check out! We live here and love it. It's the 2nd largest financial center in the nation (2nd only to NYC) and has a fast growing real estate market. The weather is great, clean and green, very family-friendly, lots to do, and you'd be able to get a VERY nice home for the $$ you're talking about. PM me if you want additional info. Good luck!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,685 times
"Without going into too much griping about FL, I'll give you the reasons we want to leave: looking for a family friendly place to raise our children, we really don't like the heat...would prefer somewhere there is a change of seasons....cold and snow is ok....we're not afraid of it!. . .

Our family of five is looking to relocate to a much warmer climate without the dramatic change of seasons. We live in Wisconsin (on your list!) about a 45 minute drive from the heart of St. Paul, MN. Check out our classic small-town America city at: http://ci.new-richmond.wi.us/

We are just starting to update our current home to put it on the market, hopefully this spring. Interested in a possible trade of homes? Obviously there would be kinks to work out. . . but, who knows? Could work!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,886,181 times
as a fellow floridian, also lookign to move, the places i hear about most are
NC
TN
GA

thats my list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.