Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

Omaha and Des Moines: Both have very architectural tallest buildings. Those towers are also of very similar height, Omahas 633 ft, Des Moines 630 ft. And they both have the same floor count, 45.
Omaha's One First National Center.
http://www.fmsp.com/images/port_OT_FirstNational.jpg (broken link)
Des Moines' 801 Grand

Both have big Square monoliths for they second tallest, both of which are of similar height, Omaha's 478 ft and Des Moines 457 ft. Both buildings are also Headquarters for insurance companies.
Omaha's Woodmen Tower

Des Moines' Ruan Center

and in 2010, both will have similar looking and similar height 3rd tallest buildings. Omaha's 373 ft and Des Moines 365 ft.
Omaha's Wallstreet Tower
http://www.downtownomahaliving.com/assets/properties/DLT08_wallstreet.jpg (broken link)
Des Moines' Marriot

Both Cities are surrounded by a sea of corn and are by far the largest cities in their States. They both have strong and growing economies, and there are a lot of insurance companies in both. Both of them sprawl mainly to the west and have Downtowns that were recently revitalized that have continuous projects going on. And soon both will have downtown Baseball Stadiums. Both are also growing at a similar numerical growth. And finally, both have another city nearby that aren't part of their metros. Omaha, Lincoln and Des Moines, Ames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
i think houston and atlanta are very similar. fast growing cities with a sprawl problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM

542 posts, read 557,270 times
Birmingham is normally compared to:
Pittsburgh - both were steel cities in Appalachian foothills
Atlanta - the coulda/woulda scenario. What would have happened if the Delta hub was in Birmingham? What about civil rights?
Memphis - generally, Birmingham and Memphis are mentioned for crime rates; also for violence during civil rights. There are some other comparisons I would make, but that might be from overestimating Birmingham's image (which is surprisingly non-existant)

Mobile
New Orleans
- just mention Mardi Gras (Mobile's tends to be more family friendly)

Montgomery
Richmond
- Former Confederate capitals? I'm kinda stretching it here

Huntsville
I think it just wants to be compared to the state of Washington stereotype.

I'm bad at this.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
very true. san antonio is kinda the armpit of texas. well, that's at least the way we view them here in houston.
hahaha r u kidding me? San Antonio is one of the FEW assets of Texas. Houston is the armpit of Texas, your big ass port and all your oil refineries = a blue collar dump... SMOG like no other, even worse then LA's

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Another thing LA and Houston have in common is they both stole NBA teams from San Diego, give em back you SOB's

Hehehe!! We stole the Chargers from LA so I'd say the trade is so far so good

Old 08-07-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
hahaha r u kidding me? San Antonio is one of the FEW assets of Texas. Houston is the armpit of Texas, your big ass port and all your oil refineries = a blue collar dump... SMOG like no other, even worse then LA's
ok, not so much armpit but it seems like dallas, houston, and austin look down on it due to it's lack of cosmopolitan feel to the city. i know for sure dallas looks down on houston. and of course austin thinks they are the equivalent of new york city to texas lol.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Wow i cant belive Houston Texas out off all places has more Hispanics than whites..
you'd think that Denver, Phoenix, and Albuquerque would have Hispanics on the top but they dont..

Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Hehehe!! We stole the Chargers from LA so I'd say the trade is so far so good
haha, good point! We can thank Paris Hilton's granddaddy for starting the team then moving down here.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Wow i cant belive Houston Texas out off all places has more Hispanics than whites..
you'd think that Denver, Phoenix, and Albuquerque would have Hispanics on the top but they dont..
i can believe it. it's like little mexico here. but i see it as a positive. it adds alot of culture to a city that can sometimes get lost in a business mind frame.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Dallas isn't really known for it's skyline. That's the first time I've heard that. Maybe in Texas, but not nationally. The average person on the street would not be able to recognize the skyline. It doesn't really have an iconic symbol like the Empire State Building, Washington Monument, TransAmerica Pyramid, Space Needle, Hollywood Sign, etc. The Bank of America Plaza has the neon outline at night, but I don't think that is really synonymous with "Dallas" the way those other iconic structures are with their respective cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.