Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 AM

315 posts, read 761,306 times

Advertisements

After reading the thread about why don't we consider spanish people to be white prompt me to ask this question. I would like to know what do none black people think of america's one drop law? The lay which says that if a person has one drop of african blood means they are black no matter how caucasion they may appear. Under this law someone like mariah carey and vin diesel would be considered all black for the simple fact they have black blood. Do you agree or disagree with this rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
This kind of thinking only serves to widen the racial divide. The LAST thing we need is to have people to continue to be overly concerned with classifying people by race. Race relations will erode quickly if people don't continue to attempt to classify people as people and not by race.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This kind of thinking only serves to widen the racial divide. The LAST thing we need is to have people to continue to be overly concerned with classifying people by race. Race relations will erode quickly if people don't continue to attempt to classify people as people and not by race.
I agree! I also agree that race is a social construct that only divides and ruin human relations. But I am still interested in hearing other people's opinion on this particular law and do they feel it is neccessary in today's america.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Good. Getting the Census bureau to eliminate ALL of their questions about race during each census would be a good start.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 AM

284 posts, read 696,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I agree with you 100% we need to stop classifying people cause what is race is the real question for example we think Asian as a race but if ur Asian you see Chinese Japanese and Korean and etc they need to stop defining it.

One drop rule sucks and it is not just the white people that do it. I am mixed white people see me as mixed or black same with the black people they see me as mixed or white they both have a one drop rule

And i blame schools for racial divide people might not think that but i do i remember seeing my friends all as one we were all human i never new this one was white or this one black or Asian than we learned about slavery and civil rights now u try to see everyone as human but it is hard to think or say theirs a black guy or white. They should really stop teaching it i know it is important part of history but it changes the way kids see each other.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
It's not a law.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It's not a law.
It may no longer be the law but many people still view this theory as fact.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
As for the Spanish/ White thing...

The US tends to define "White" as only being people of British Isles and Northern Europe descent, while Spanish/ Italians/ etc are considered European but not White.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As for the Spanish/ White thing...

The US tends to define "White" as only being people of British Isles and Northern Europe descent, while Spanish/ Italians/ etc are considered European but not White.
Italian too? Wow so than the one drop rule includes me too i guess

Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM

543 posts, read 559,474 times
When I was younger, I heard "Put the mother's ethnicity" if there were equal heritage percentages. I was always confused with government forms because I didn't know whether to put white or Asian. So, until it was okay to put multiple races, I always thought it was "officially, but not really" that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.