Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

20 year old Columbia student, America has bad policies on illegal immigration, pollution, consumer consumption, Iraq war over oil, race relations, racism

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:54 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times

Advertisements

This is just going to turn into another immigration thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM

284 posts, read 696,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam721 View Post
Wow are you wrong. You go to columbia I wouldnt expect anything else from you. Let me tell you the truth about these things.

1. Pollution: You should go to your friends in COMMUNIST CHINA 16 of 20 the worlds most polluted cities are there. 30% of the rain there is acid rain. Did you see on tv where the sail boat contest was going to be for the olympics on the china sea I honest to god though that looked like a golf cource I wouldn`t have known if it was moving back and forth.

2.Illegal Immigration: They do real wonders for our nation indeed like killing 25 americans daily 12 from murder 13 from drunk driving. 4757 americans die a yr from them Since 9 11 there has been 23725 killed in this silent terror.* american kids get raped from them daily 2920 annually. They take our jobs bring diseases that are getting drug rsistant and not to mention various other crime they do such as auto theft which their govt aid them in( you dont need licences plates in mexico). They bring drugs leaving thousands of americans dead yearly and much more they think this is still their country unbelieveable.

3. Iraq War: the world hates us they should be greatful we saved everyone we killed tons of these sick people and saved alot of countries like phillapines and more. How about all the stories to graphic to put on here that happened . I am a shamed of the liberal media for not saying the real bad things that go on there .liberal media will never tell you my poor lost friend.And the hell with human rights weres theirs.

4. Racism: We treat minorities greatly they just dont appreciatte anything so they trick you and complain. And those katrina people didn`t deserve help for looting and shooting the helicopter trying to save you. Apoligizing to those people for stuff you never did is wrong and stupid since you admit doing something bad lawsuits will happen. Wasnt the civil war enough to make up for slavery.

You young kids are this countries future but this countrie will suffer with that kind of thinking.
U are 100% correct on everything here and i am a minority
i hate illegal immigrants it is not fare to the immigrants that are trying to do the right thing and not break the laws and do it right. I am young but i actually have a mind compared to most of my peers they get talked into anything

Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
America's real issues:

1) Dependance on foreign oil and not aggressively exploring our own sources as well as alternate energy techologies fast enough.

2) Backward school systems. Our kids should be taking mandatory classes starting at early ages in foreign languages, daily economics (how to balance personal budgets, learn about mortgages, what credit is and how to manage it, investing, etc), parenting classes, world cultures and issues classes, etc. Instead they have ski club electives, more emphasis on sports than anything else, and subjects they will never use in day-to-day real world living once they're out of school.

3) Illegals. Yes, it's a problem, and yes it needs to be addressed simply by getting aggressive with our OWN business owners who hire the people. Threaten a business owner with jail time for doing it, and poof, end of problem.

4) 70% of minority kids have no father in their house. Half of the black kids in some areas of this country have police records by the time they're old enough to drive a car. If anyone thinks that this isn't hurting the U.S. more than just about any other problem, get back to me in 20 years when a few hundred thousand 12 year olds are carjacking people and doing home invasions.

These are our REAL problems. Not what old hippie college professors tell you.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam721 View Post
saved alot of countries like phillapines and more.
u mean PHILIPPINES? im filipina. i think you know why your country "saved" alot of countries... theres always strings attached. in my country's part.. it is using it for air base like in clark's air base in subic. you do know we kick you out? i wonder why.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,212 times
Rxnasi thank you for agreeing with me your a pretty smart. Atlantagreg30127 you brought up some very important issues also that need serious addressing thanks.
Lbser sorry for spelling that wrong there strings attached with all countries but when and why did you kick us out.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
ohhh the days of being in college and having those professors get you all fired up......

Very good observation. Now, it's possible that MobyLL is on to something, but if this original post is on the level, I would add something like: Ohhh, the days of being twenty and having a twenty-year-old's idealism. LiberalKyle, if you're for real, well, I want to say this in a way that is not condescending . . . it's really true what you hear about understanding things when you're older. You cannot avoid having experiences in life that force you to understand (unless you're a complete ditz, of which there are some), that the big questions have much more complicated answers than you seem to be seeking here. That's okay. It takes time to have these experiences that help you learn about life's complexity. If you're for real, hey, keep on asking questions. That's a good way to learn, and learning is always good.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal kyle View Post
Hi there im new to the forum and am 20 years old I go to columbia university and have a few problms of the way our country handles things.

1. Pollution: America is only 4 percent of the worlds pop but we consume 25% of thw worlds energy And 25% of the worlds pollution.

2.Ilegal Immigration: We chase these poor people away trying to better their lives and rip familys apart why the hate and racism they do wonders for our nation.

3.Iraq War: This is for oil peoples blood being spilled for stupid polluting oil we have to remember human rights.The entire world hates us for this and other worthless wars.

4.Racism: Why does this country treat minorities badly they are people too ya know. Its good we apoligized for slavery and stuff we hurt people.We didn`t even help are own in hurricane katrina. We also should help the world more.

This isn`t putting my country down just stating our policies are bad.
very good, yet very bacis issues. Follow up and study these, but there are MANY MANY other urgent issues our country is facing as well. Regardless of what they tell you in school, we're as far on the brink as we've every been.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 PM

315 posts, read 761,021 times
As a black women I can assure you that american racism has been exxagerated in order for certain groups of people to avoid accepting responsability and accountably for thier own issues brought upon them by themselves.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
I have a problem with poor spelling, sloppy punctuation, and an ignorance of how to capitalize words and sentences.
I'm just funny that way.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM

658 posts, read 830,426 times
Hello Kyle. I am going to be critical of your post for your benefit.

Quote:
1. Pollution: America is only 4 percent of the worlds pop but we consume 25% of thw worlds energy And 25% of the worlds pollution.
Capitalism allows us to buy what we want with our own money. The results are often waste and overabundance, but the alternative is not acceptable. We have come a long way with pollution.

Quote:
2.Ilegal Immigration: We chase these poor people away trying to better their lives and rip familys apart why the hate and racism they do wonders for our nation.
No we do not chase poor families away. Speaking of the Mexican border, we send criminals back home who know the law and choose to break it. In my opinion, they should all be branded on their first offense and executed on their second offense. Do you know how much money these criminals cost this country? Do you know about the international terrorists who have already been caught sneaking mass weapons across that border?Speaking of immigration in general, there are legal means of coming to America. They are expensive and subject to government screwups, but they are the system in place, and there is no other way. Legal or illegal is stil the choice. America is not a wide-open frontier anymore, and there is no room for whomever can sneak across the border... for the 20th time. Don't get me wrong, if I were born in Mexico, I would want to be here too! But would I come here as a lawful immigrant or as a criminal for life?

Quote:
3.Iraq War: This is for oil peoples blood being spilled for stupid polluting oil we have to remember human rights.The entire world hates us for this and other worthless wars.
You have not been to Iraq and do not know soliders who have returned from duty in Iraq, correct? I suggest you do not have facts to make such an opinion. Your history of wars is lacking as well.

Quote:
4.Racism: Why does this country treat minorities badly they are people too ya know. Its good we apoligized for slavery and stuff we hurt people.We didn`t even help are own in hurricane katrina. We also should help the world more.
Well just wait, Hussein wants to impose a $2,000 tax on all citizens, regardless of income, to go the UN. So you just go vote for Hussein and you can kiss your meager income tax refund goodbye.

Katrina was quite telling in how the different races chose to evacuate when given the chance... in how the different races behaved themselves after the event... and how the different races recovered themselves. If you believe government exists to care for your every need from cradle to grave, then I can see why you think America is racist. And yet, more entitlements and legs-up have been given to other races in this nation than to any other people, including whites. What, do you think the Irish and Scots had it easier when they came here? Sorry guy, but the people you say are victims are the people I say wasted their fair chance at staying out of prison, off the welfare system and in a job to provide for their families all their lives long. Their choice. They rejected what was offered. Fine. But there will be no second chance, they will simply have to eek out what they can, any way they can. And such is their plight, if you ask them.

One can see how well the liberal profs are shoving believable material into you mind, and how balanced they are in presenting both sides of the material. How do I know? I once thought as you do, when I was in college, and hearing what I thought were new explanations to the world's ills, spoken by brilliant minds locked up and hidden by some right-wing machine...

However, a liberal arts education is supposed to supply you with the tools to think critically and not simply expound on an issue that sounds good to you or that the majority of your class thinks is a good cause. You are supposed to be learning how to pick apart an argument and challenge it to the core. Your post was imbalanced. You gave no solutions to the issues. People who raise such problems without offering solutions serve only to make idle talk, to fill space, the fodder of which is carried over and over without end, for no reason but to flap one's lips or exercise the mouse button.

Last edited by jamesandveybe; 08-09-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.