Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 AM

5 posts, read 6,603 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite some time and figured it was time to take the plunge and register. I was born/raised between North/South Florida (Jacksonville/Miami and its surrounding areas). I have decided it is likely in my best interest to relocate (cousins and family with mixed interests) in Miami, wreaking havoc on self-esteem and criticizing personal objective.

I graduated early from High School, since then picking up nasty habits and since accumulated less than 15 college credits (pre-requisite classes) -- attending community/junior college. Given unique circumstances, I have a FREE place to stay in North/Central Florida (Jacksonville Beach, Orlando) respectively. I intend on resuming school next quarter (3-4 months out); doing some overdo traveling (London, DC, NYC, TX, NOR/SOCAL).

visiting Orlando, I found seemingly endless destructive paths taken by student body (surprisingly not-so dense in Miami). Jacksonville is a nice place, but its near proximity to Georgia makes it just that (Southern Georgia, large concentration of rednecks and crime, coupled with childhood haunting memories).

Miami has a special place in my heart, but feel that the 'pyramid effect' smaller cities feeling it first, larger cities last is really starting to take toll in Miami. warm/humid weather, warm/blue waters and ability to jet-ski/fish at whim sounds nice with tolerable cost of living/quality of life (compared to CA for example, while its relative). I have deeply considered a place in the Coral Gables vicinity. though lack of diversity and limited activities (terrain/weather).

given environmental factors (weather/school/progressive 'factor'/wealth of culture/diversity (in part) -- some things I value are water, warmer weather, ability to drive/maintain car (some degree of personal space). I intend on picking up a third language (Mandarin) and would be ideal to be able to converse in day-to-day (ie markets) communication (cultural norms, etc).

some first post, cliff notes:

a) away from 'home' for a few months, change in scenery would be nice (as i travel)

b) free place to stay in central/north florida (as well as south, but would prefer to get my own place in Miami if returned). in-state tuition benefit, Florida not particularly known for its academics (relocating possible, money no object (but it always is)

c) enjoy tropical/warm weather in close proximity to water, but not afraid of cold/snow (adapt to weather quickly, have place in Florida to get away).

d) intend on doing intl business or form of medicine incorporating language. would be nice to go somewhere to integrate that practice and be able to 'communicate' and have sense of cultural understanding and diversity amongst different backgrounds/ethnicities (stepping outside of 'bubble' to see the world and become more 'globalized'

e) plus would be lower concentration of pretentious/ones that act like they deserve something because of their look 'types' - intend on launching distributing business (overhead mostly related to rent, factoring cost benefit to proximity of west/south central/east coast extremes) factoring in weather (seems Colorado wouldn't be farfetched).

given my situation or your situation, if you could relocate, where would to and why? well, what a first post. i look forward to engaging in discussion and exchanging idea.

thanks!

Last edited by 1procrasinator; 08-10-2008 at 01:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I would relocate to either Ventura, LA or Orange County. CA. Reasons: ocean, mountains, weather, jobs, proximity to ocean, dessert, mountains all within 3 hours. Have friends there. Napa, Mount Shasta, Lake Havasu. LA would fulfill my need to be close to a major city but yet be close to the ocean and nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.