Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

A lot of it does have to do with setting though. I think Denver would offer a lot more to do than say, Wichita. It doesn't neccesarily make Wichita boring, but it's just nothing compared to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, the other side of this is that somebody who says, "Well, I like tuba playing, so any place that doesn't have a lot of tuba playing going on," is really saying, "Hey, I'm pretty one-dimensional and I hate any city that doesn't cater to my esoteric interests."

Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Places may not be boring and it may have more to do with the person than the place to a point. Portland has much to do, but with the 9 or 10 months basically of the year with rain and darkness it can get quite dull. It can get dull because you have to look for so much to do inside and yes its only normal it can get old, its a small city. But you keep looking until you find something else to keep your interest than just being bored. No one has to be bored.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
What I've learned from C-D people who live on the West Coast is that a city is boring if it is flat and has no mountains or an ocean nearby. Because, you know, they're used to their special West Coast topography and can't conceive that people can possibly have fun without these things. Or something.
Yes, very valid observation in general.

BUT I am a native Southern Califotnian who always grew up in the shadow of mountains. Still, when I went to New Orleans last summer for ten weeks without a car, I was not bored at all, despite the pancake flat landscape of the Gulf Coast. In fact, I was endlessly captivated by the ever-changing weather and perennially lush greenery. A welcome change from the monotonously rainless, dry, and brown California summers!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Yes, very valid observation in general.

BUT I am a native Southern Califotnian who always grew up in the shadow of mountains. Still, when I went to New Orleans last summer for ten weeks without a car, I was not bored at all, despite the pancake flat landscape of the Gulf Coast. In fact, I was endlessly captivated by the ever-changing weather and perennially lush greenery. A welcome change from the monotonously rainless, dry, and brown California summers!
I know what you mean. I spent most of my life within 5 miles of the ocean or so. So I cannot imagine what it is like to live far away from some major body of water, I actually get claustrophobic thinking about it.

But the truth of the matter is I do not really go to the beach that much, maybe 10 times a year? It is more like it is there if I want to go but I really don't need it. I think I will be fine anywhere in the country.

I guess 80-90% of your daily cultural interactions, such as television, the internet and the radio can be found in most of the country.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:49 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I know what you mean. I spent most of my life within 5 miles of the ocean or so. So I cannot imagine what it is like to live far away from some major body of water, I actually get claustrophobic thinking about it.

But the truth of the matter is I do not really go to the beach that much, maybe 10 times a year? It is more like it is there if I want to go but I really don't need it. I think I will be fine anywhere in the country.

I guess 80-90% of your daily cultural interactions, such as television, the internet and the radio can be found in most of the country.
My point was not that I have to live close to the beach. My point was that the hilly terrain that Californians value at a premium are far overrated as they are brown, dead, and unattractive most of the year (California sees zero rain every year from May to September). It would in fact be far better to live somewhere flat but perennially green like the Deep South than in Southern California.

As for SoCal being close to skiing, it's 90 minutes to 2 hours from the nearest ski resort. Once again, your argument holds true--who drives 90 minutes to 2 hours to the ski slopes every weekend? And it's not like the Southern California ski resorts are any good. The historic drought means they hardly get any snow, and even when they do, it's hard pack, not powder. The ski resorts there are tiny, too.

The closest world-class skiing (i.e. 300+ inches of powder and thousands of skiiable acres) to the Los Angeles area is Mammoth Mountain, 6 hours away by car. At that rate, I might as well live in Dallas, fly to Albuquerque or Denver in 2 hours, drive another hour to the ski slopes. If I'm driving six hours, I'd be staying overnight for several days--same as flying. Why not move out of overpriced Los Angeles to somewhere three times more affordable and use the savings to buy yourself a plane ticket to do some REAL skiing in Colorado or New Mexico?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:42 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
There are no boring places, just boring people.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
There's no such thing as boring cities, only boring people.
Of course I jest and there's hyperbole in it, but there is also some truth that statement. For many places called boring, it's not always that there's a lack of things to do; it's often that people choose not to participate in what there is to do.
Of course, the larger the city, the more spontaneous you can be and the more choice you'll have. In many smaller cities/metros, one might have to schedule their entertainment more specifically, but there are things to do.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:40 PM

438 posts, read 376,154 times
Husband grew up outside of Denver and I grew up outside of Seattle. Both of us not only considered our outside suburban cities as boring, but though that Seattle and Denver were the most boring "small" cities in the world. Then we both visited the other city and thought they were exciting.

When you grow up in a city no matter how big or small your going to be "bored" with most things that people will consider exciting or cool because all the magic of discover wore off by the time your old enough to go out on your own. Touristy things that other people find cool might just be something normal or even weird since it's special significant isn't necessary special, its just part of normal.

Boring to me is simply the state of mind a person can be in, if you don't find something interesting its boring. It's going to be different for a vast amount of reasons so I can't label any one place "boring".

Old 10-02-2018, 10:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
If you're bored, then you're boring.

I've found neat stuff to see and do in places like Lock Haven, PA and Cullman, AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.