Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times

Advertisements

I was reading a thread and someone posted that places like Wichita, Salt Lake City, Tulsa etc.. are boring and have nothing to do.

I have always wonder WHAT exactly people do in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, that make them so unboring?

Ill give pro sports, but then places like Wichita State and Tulsa have some good college sports to watch.

So what exactly do people do in these "non-boring" places that can't be done in the "boring" places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
See live theater in world class venues? Stroll to one of many incredible museums? Take a lakefront cruise on a sail boat or power boat? Take in the skyline views from 1,400 ft above the street? Eat at a 5 star restaurant on one corner, then eat off a street vendor cart the next? Visit the Stock Exchange? Pick up a game of beach volleyball?

Stuff like that is what makes Chicago seem more exciting than places like, say, Omaha or Phoenix or Birmingham, etc. Those cities all have unique little things too, and theyre not "boring" per se, they just offer different things.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
It means they have fewer opportunities to bone a bar skank.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Being bored is a personal failing, not the problem with one's surroundings. When somebody claims to be bored, it usually stems from laziness and an inability to step outside one's comfort zone. I've lived in Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, San Diego, and Birmingham, and none of those places are boring. In fact, I'd argue that Birmingham's more fun than Cleveland.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
boring is subjective and when someone uses that word to describe anything, it means they are too small and insecure to acclimate to the environment. When someone says SLC or El Paso or Wichita are boring, they're basically saying that they are insecure in those cities because they have the inability to meet people that will make them 'unbored'. Seriously folks, a city can be dull as HELL but boredom doesn't come from a dull city. Hell, u can be bored in the center of manhattan, the difference is who you meet and get to know. If you fail at that, then ur gonna be bored anywhere.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
When people say a City is boring and nothing to do...
...it means they are not trying hard enough

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
boring is subjective and when someone uses that word to describe anything, it means they are too small and insecure to acclimate to the environment. When someone says SLC or El Paso or Wichita are boring, they're basically saying that they are insecure in those cities because they have the inability to meet people that will make them 'unbored'. Seriously folks, a city can be dull as HELL but boredom doesn't come from a dull city. Hell, u can be bored in the center of manhattan, the difference is who you meet and get to know. If you fail at that, then ur gonna be bored anywhere.
EXACTLY. I met somebody who lived in LA and claimed it was boring. No lie.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I was reading a thread and someone posted that places like Wichita, Salt Lake City, Tulsa etc.. are boring and have nothing to do.

I have always wonder WHAT exactly people do in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, that make them so unboring?

Ill give pro sports, but then places like Wichita State and Tulsa have some good college sports to watch.

So what exactly do people do in these "non-boring" places that can't be done in the "boring" places?
I hate when people say they're bored in Houston and plan on moving to NYC or LA,as if you can never get bored in those cities.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post

Typically people who call places "boring" are just misinformed or uneducated about a place, or are the type of people who always need to be "entertained." I can go anywhere and not be bored. I don't understand how anyone can ever be "bored" in a city--living there anyway.

I can see visiting a place and thinking it might be boring. But living somewhere it should never be "boring" unless a city has something one does, that can't be done in this smaller city (pro sports, symphony, high volume bartending, etc.)...

The key to solving "boredom" is involvement. If one is bored after getting involved, then I think that person should look at themselves as the problem.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
What I've learned from C-D people who live on the West Coast is that a city is boring if it is flat and has no mountains or an ocean nearby. Because, you know, they're used to their special West Coast topography and can't conceive that people can possibly have fun without these things. Or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.