Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM

179 posts, read 199,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't know if that's the same kind of "hip" or "cool". South Beach is more thongs and Lamborghinis. Austin is a whole different thing. Like Portland or Seattle. More locally for you, Steve-o, think Wicker Park.

Exactly. "Cool" doesn't mean let's have as much debauchery as possible. Although you're free to do that in Austin.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
don't knock it, models aside, they've still got the white dreadies on skateboards, dj's tattooed freaks etc..

you should check out the Winter Music Conference (WMC)

I LOVE South Beach. My grandparents retired there. It's just totally different vibe. It's full of plastic surgery, exotic cars, and drugs. It's more like Hollywood than Portland, Seattle, Austin.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I LOVE South Beach. My grandparents retired there. It's just totally different vibe. It's full of plastic surgery, exotic cars, and drugs. It's more like Hollywood than Portland, Seattle, Austin.
you've got a point calidood

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just going off media images somewhat, because Chicago isn't portrayed as "cool" like Austin, Portland etc.

But of all my young friends, none of them wanted to go to Chicago to be "cool" only to work. I know lots of people who switched to vegan lifestyles, wanted to go to Austin and ride their bikes through the hills every day and enjoy the sun. That to me is cool. Or go join some artist commune. Also all the nude sunbathing allowed there. You just don't get that stuff in Chicago from what I hear.

I mean isn't it a prerequisite to be a cool place that you can't have brutally cold winters and no sun? It just scares away certain people.
Well, different strokes. I generally like to visit a place before crafting an opinion, myself. Call me crazy. I just worry about seeming uninformed otherwise. I'm OCD like that.

Watch "High Fidelity". Work backwards from that.

(I assume that since you're from Cali, you are only interested in movies. That's correct, is it not?)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, different strokes. I generally like to visit a place before crafting an opinion, myself. Call me crazy. I just worry about seeming uninformed otherwise. I'm OCD like that.

Watch "High Fidelity". Work backwards from that.

(I assume that since you're from Cali, you are only interested in movies. That's correct, is it not?)
I told you in the other thread I had been there - it was just winter and I had a terrible time. I'm willing to give it a chance. I just didn't get a cool vibe there.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I told you in the other thread I had been there - it was just winter and I had a terrible time. I'm willing to give it a chance. I just didn't get a cool vibe there.
It's a big city. You've just got to go to the right neighborhood (and know where to go within those neighborhoods). I can see how, if you were, say, Downtown, you'd wonder where the cool kids were. It's a big city, though. I'm sure some neighborhoods would surprise you.

Then again. Like I said. Different strokes.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just going off media images somewhat, because Chicago isn't portrayed as "cool" like Austin, Portland etc.

But of all my young friends, none of them wanted to go to Chicago to be "cool" only to work. I know lots of people who switched to vegan lifestyles, wanted to go to Austin and ride their bikes through the hills every day and enjoy the sun. That to me is cool. Or go join some artist commune. Also all the nude sunbathing allowed there. You just don't get that stuff in Chicago from what I hear.

I mean isn't it a prerequisite to be a cool place that you can't have brutally cold winters and no sun? It just scares away certain people.
I completely agree with you about Austin/Portland v. South Beach, and I don't want turn this into yet another Chicago weather argument, but a quick point here: Chicago can't be "cool" 'cause it has no sun, but Portland (and, in the 90s, Seattle) could be? Huh? Dude, Chicago gets more sun than those places. To be honest, I moved here during the winter - which is gray and very cold - and I was kinda surprised as to how sunny it is here from around mid-April onwards.

Also, ever been to Wicker Park, Pilsen or Logan Square in Chicago? Ever been to Williamsburg, Greenpoint or Bushwick in New York? Hipsters can survive the winter. I do think perhaps Austin/SoCal may attract a more outdoorsy type of hipster than Chicago/NYC would. But we're talking about a subculture that fetishizes scarves, for chrissakes.

As for me, I've never been to Austin. It always struck me as the kind of place that would be fun to spend a few days in, but I doubt I'd want to live there. I like living in a big city with all kinds of people, like Chicago or New York, and not holed up with my "hip" friends in "the coolest/hippest town in America," wherever that may be. But that's just me. To each his or her own.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
C'mon give Chicago some love think 'Waynes World".

Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
C'mon give Chicago some love think 'Waynes World".
That was Aurora! (and was written by a Canadian referencing he and his Canadian buddies growing up...)

Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
Easy brother cool is in the mind of the beholder.
If you love your city and think it's cool than
keep telling yourself that and it will be in your mind.
But why so serious.........
You know there is a fine line between cool and pretentious.
Whats wrong with just being fun.. and we both know Chicago
is that, and I have the lack of memories and a lot of kids to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.