Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM

304 posts, read 904,552 times

Advertisements

why is it that most threads in the Los Angeles and San Francisco forums are about people wanting to move there, but then in places like the chicago forum its just a bunch of locals gloating about their midwestern town? theres like 1 or 2 posts about people wanting to move there ill give you that

I think the forums should be seperated (at least the California one) into people wanting to move there/relocation and then just general discussion because it gets kind of boring searching through topics of people dying to move here

ah well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Well, the whole forum is a relocation forum. More people are moving into certain cities and states than others. These fora are just a reflection of that.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
why is it that most threads in the Los Angeles and San Francisco forums are about people wanting to move there, but then in places like the chicago forum its just a bunch of locals gloating about their midwestern town? theres like 1 or 2 posts about people wanting to move there ill give you that

I think the forums should be seperated (at least the California one) into people wanting to move there/relocation and then just general discussion because it gets kind of boring searching through topics of people dying to move here

ah well
Just glanced at the threads on the first page of the Chicago forum and there were 18 threads by people moving to Chicago or wondering about moving and wanting information on the city. Not sure why you think otherwise. When I go in there it's always packed with people asking about transit or neighborhoods and what's hot/safe/fun/quiet.

The other ones were random stuff like asking why certain neighborhoods always get a bad rap or a tribute to Bernie Mac who's from Chicago. It seems similar to the LA forum to me...

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Just glanced at the threads on the first page of the Chicago forum and there were 18 threads by people moving to Chicago or wondering about moving and wanting information on the city. Not sure why you think otherwise. When I go in there it's always packed with people asking about transit or neighborhoods and what's hot/safe/fun/quiet.

The other ones were random stuff like asking why certain neighborhoods always get a bad rap or a tribute to Bernie Mac who's from Chicago. It seems similar to the LA forum to me...
18? ..nah

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
18? ..nah
Actually, I just looked and it is 19 or 20. Many people want to move to Chicago because, well, it is more desirable than LA. Not everyone likes gang infested smoggy cities with little to offer other than decent climate and good culture!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually, I just looked and it is 19 or 20. Many people want to move to Chicago because, well, it is more desirable than LA. Not everyone likes gang infested smoggy cities with little to offer other than decent climate and good culture!
where are you getting this number from??

go in the california forum and youll know what i mean

its not even a contest

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:

ah well
wow, LA-ites getting creative with bashing Chicago now, huh?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Sometimes I wish the moderators would just close pointless threads like this. Everyone seems so hostile this week.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
One of the annoying things about the state forums is there seems to be a lot of place bashing.

The general interest forums can be interesting where people are talking about interests that everyone can share. But the nature of the beast in the state forums seems to be heavily influenced by "placism" (sorry to use this made-up word, but it's true)

It is as if many of us are back in elementary school having to be told something along the lines of "yes there are problems here, but there are good things too." and "while every place has some bad people, most people are good."

There is just so much naive presumption. Though I realize that is a part of human nature, we are talking about functioning adults here for whom the f***ing obvious should not be news. I feel like saying, "grow up already!" to some of these folks.

That being said I realize everyone reading this thread is an errudite, misunderstood genius.

Oh and thanks for the chance to vent.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
uhh, apparently you do; Houston has more crime than LA and the smog is almost as bad and with a much crappier climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.