Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlerj View Post
Hello Forum
I'm also considering a move to a nice warm destination for my retirement. I'm a black male married to a caucasian woman for 10 years. I was surprized to see that Charlotte North Carolina listed as a racial tolerant city. I thought North Carolina was more of the old south. I lived in lewiston NC(small town 95 miles east of Raliegh) for a year back in the late 80's/early 90's and the town people made it very clear that blacks and whites shouldn't mix. I know that Charlotte is in a different part of the state, but have things really changed? I also lived in Virginia Beach Virgina 79,80 what does the forum think of that area for interracial couples?
From what I've heard, that part of VA is fine. There's a strong military presence and you tend to see IR couples quite a bit in such communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlerj View Post
Hello Forum
I'm also considering a move to a nice warm destination for my retirement. I'm a black male married to a caucasian woman for 10 years. I was surprized to see that Charlotte North Carolina listed as a racial tolerant city. I thought North Carolina was more of the old south. I lived in lewiston NC(small town 95 miles east of Raliegh) for a year back in the late 80's/early 90's and the town people made it very clear that blacks and whites shouldn't mix. I know that Charlotte is in a different part of the state, but have things really changed? I also lived in Virginia Beach Virgina 79,80 what does the forum think of that area for interracial couples?
I recently visited Charlotte (for a sad occasion) and grew up 40 minutes North of Virginia Beach in Hampton, VA. I think you will not have anything to worry about in either of those towns. Will you get a stare or two (likely from black women)? Probably. But for the most part Charlotte and SE Virginia will be fine with interracial love.

Oh, that "old South" thing is dying off in some states quicker than others. Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee are the three I'd think of where it is going quicker.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 54,868 times
Default Relocation

thank you all that reply to my post. I'm glad the old south is going away in those cities. I look forward to visiting the areas soon.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I recently visited Charlotte (for a sad occasion) and grew up 40 minutes North of Virginia Beach in Hampton, VA. I think you will not have anything to worry about in either of those towns. Will you get a stare or two (likely from black women)? Probably. But for the most part Charlotte and SE Virginia will be fine with interracial love.

Oh, that "old South" thing is dying off in some states quicker than others. Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee are the three I'd think of where it is going quicker.

You can add GA and FL to your little list as well. Ever heard of little ole Atlanta? It is alive and well in TN.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,363 times
Come to Sacramento. Ranked America's most diverse and least segregated city.

You won't be a big deal down here. Trust me, there will be no crosses burning in your yard.

In fact, you may even start longing for the attention you used to get. You'd just be another boring couple.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,297 times
I have never been to the west coast but I have to agree with everyone as far as the Metro Area(D.C. MD,VA) being ok with interracial dating. I was born and raised there and until recently never experienced any problems until I moved further down into VA into a town called Hopewell (about 100 miles away form DC) where my girlfriend is from there problems began. I actually got lots of smiles from older black folks who told me that they could never do this in there day and were quite happy for us but gave me warnings to stay out of certain areas outside of town, Unfortunately my girlfriend of 7 years did not receive the same welcome as me she was constantly hounded by folks white and black telling her to date in her race and black girls threating to beat her up because she was with a black man it even got to a point where people would get mad at her family because they were ok with it. So this past year we moved to Richmond because I'm a student at VCU and now it's the total opposite white folks and black guys are mad at me because I'm black but there are tons of white guy black girl couples and everyone is fine with it. My advice to anyone moving to Va. is go to No.VA or keep going until you hit the Hampton rd., Va. Beach area Do Not stop in-between the klan is not dead they just opened up shop in Petersburg VA. 10mins from Hopewell and proudly display there colors even though the City of Petersburg is mostly Black I guess the want to reclaim it or something, I don't know but you want to stay far away from that area.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 32,741 times
As strange as this may sound to some, but it is absolutely true...the Louisville, Kentucky Metro area (including Southern Indiana along the Ohio river) has many interracial couples (married and otherwise). The area has become over the last twenty or so years quite evidently interracial (predominately BM/WW, but also to a lesser degree WM/BW). Hispanics are here in growing numbers, and some are now entering interracial relationships; albeit slowly. Just go shopping anywhere here in the malls and you're bound to see at least a few couples and children. A mecca...No, but for a small to medium sized place, interracial relationships here are fairly numerous.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,726 times
HI, WA, CA and MN. Anywhere in HI. Specifically in the Seattle area of WA. Specifically in the Bay area or the South Bay region of greater Los Angeles of CA. Specifically in the Twin Cities area of MN.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 AM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmov9mm View Post
As strange as this may sound to some, but it is absolutely true...the Louisville, Kentucky Metro area (including Southern Indiana along the Ohio river) has many interracial couples (married and otherwise). The area has become over the last twenty or so years quite evidently interracial (predominately BM/WW, but also to a lesser degree WM/BW). Hispanics are here in growing numbers, and some are now entering interracial relationships; albeit slowly. Just go shopping anywhere here in the malls and you're bound to see at least a few couples and children. A mecca...No, but for a small to medium sized place, interracial relationships here are fairly numerous.
I'm actually not surprised, because that same area volunteerily integrated it's schools and had great demographic balance in the schools there. So, I can see how it occurs there to some degree.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmov9mm View Post
I was pleasantly surprised the number of interracial couples here in Louisville. I figured down in the Ft. Knox area there would be a lot since the military is known for interracial marriages, but Louisville has a lot also. Not NYC, by any means but more than you would think for Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.