Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I posted this earlier, but although have a lot of personal issues with this area (particularly the city and its eastern suburbs), the DC area is decent for interracial couples, but it truly depends where:

DC itself (particularly Northwest, Capitol Hill and other gentrified parts) is decent for almost all types of couples. The only parts that would be a problem (particularly for Black and Hispanic males) are neighborhoods where trust-fund having yuppies from the Northeast abound. Maryland, particularly Montgomery County, has the same status as NW DC when it comes to interracial relationships: some neighborhoods are pretty accepting, and some might only accept White Males being in an interracial relationship. Prince Georges County should be avoided by interracial couples, unless they can fit into and deal well with the more "urban/rap culture". Norther Virginia, which IMO is the best part of the area for IR couples, accepts all brands. Whether its the common Asian Female/White Male or the "usually controversial" Black Male/White Female couplings, the rules of 1950's Americana don't apply here.

To add to what was stated above, The Silver Spring/Takoma Park and Columbia, Md areas are also ideal places where IR couples can live. Needless to say, that doesn't preclude the fact that this region has it's share of ingnorant people. Overall, though, the DC area as a whole is more accepting of IR relationships than many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
I'm a 2nd generation Irish American guy in a serious relationship with a very beautiful woman from Kenya living in the United States. We both live in the midwest (michigan) where no matter where we go we get stares. Most of them are just harmless, but when we go to the east side of the state near Detroit those looks quickly become hostile. A lot (not all) black guys seem to take personal offense to the fact that a black woman is with a white guy. They seem to be more forgiving for some reason when they realize she is a foreigner.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Upstate NY isn't too bad either. Especially the major cities and college towns like Ithaca.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
I would stay away from the Northeast.
I've talked with people from there, and they take religion in different ways. I've had many tell me how it may even be rude to ask which church you go to or what religion you follow.
I would settle somewhere in the south.
Atalnta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Raleigh may be some options.
The housing is relatively cheap unlike other compared to other places such as the Northeast and West Coast.
Each one of the cities have a suburban area, but rural East Texas, most of Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana would also be pretty accepting of inter-racial couples.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I would stay away from the Northeast.
I've talked with people from there, and they take religion in different ways. I've had many tell me how it may even be rude to ask which church you go to or what religion you follow.
I would settle somewhere in the south.
Atalnta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City, and Raleigh may be some options.
The housing is relatively cheap unlike other compared to other places such as the Northeast and West Coast.
Each one of the cities have a suburban area, but rural East Texas, most of Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana would also be pretty accepting of inter-racial couples.
Huh? Who told you that lie? We don't care at all about what someone's religion is. There is more to the Northeast than NYC, Philly and Boston. You can't say that about the whole region and I've never heard of anything like that around here. They would be fine in the Northeast, especially in my area and in a city like Ithaca, that has always had interracial couples for a long time.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 118,843 times
I live in Denver and have a black girlfriend(Im white), and people dont seem to care, except the occasional dirty looks from black males. Ive noticed tons of interracial couples here, but its very diverse in general. Id recommend Denver for sure.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
The topic about black women being mad at black men dating outside their race, I feel that it isn't about intentionally selling out, more or less than it is about other factors. From my experience, many black females, especially during their youth, tend to go for the posers, gangsters, and "players" for love and sexual attraction. The only time when they look for a good black man is when they're done partying (as well as done w/ their sexlife). Feeling abandoned, the more intellectual black men will eventually feel forced to find feminine solace in other places (and other races). Not to say that this is how all black females are (and how all intellectual black males are either), but from my experience, I can definitely say this has proven fact in my life so far.

As for the original poster, I second on NoVA being an interracial haven (or better said, heaven) for ALL combinations, not just the ones that are accustomed by society (asian fem-white male, latina fem-black male). As for the other suggeestions, especially the list of best cities for IR couples, I'd definitely recommend all of those cities.
You are totally right about this. Its very difficult meeting down-to-earth, unpretentious black women.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
I see mixed-race couples in NYC all the time. In Manhattan and some of the more urban and lively neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, no one bats an eye at even a black/Asian interracial couple. Take that to Staten Island, however, and you're sure to get some stares.

I grew up in Miami and interracial couples were really not common at all. Plenty of inter-ethnic non-Hispanic and Hispanic white couples, and some non-Hispanic white/Hispanic "of color" couples, but there wasn't a lot of black mixing with the other groups. There weren't - and still aren't - enough Asians down there to even talk about how people see mixed-race couples with one Asian partner.

Another suggestion for mixed race couples: LA. It's incredibly diverse and there people of all races, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, and mixes of all of the above there.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,693 times
would jacksonville fl be a decent place to live in peace as a i/c? (middle aged)

Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM

130 posts, read 386,683 times
[quote=dullnboring;317957]I've actually found the opposite to be true. While it's much more common to see black men with white women than white men with black women, it seems to provoke more hostile reactions, particularly from black women as there are a good number who feel that white women are stealing their men and that black men (particularly those who are successful) are selling out by dating them. The difference in treatment may not be in terms of verbal insults or physical threats, but in terms of glances, body language, treatment and gossiping, whereas I haven't seen that behavior with WM/BW.

I must disagree with this!!!! I have lived in San Diego for several years and find it to be a VERY covertly racist city!!! I am black & my husband is white and we are dying to get out to here!!! I am tired of the stigma always being portrayed as the black women being so intolerant of the bm/ww situation. Most of the time the women look like crap and the men they are with are zeros. Believe me when I say that when "some" white women see a black woman (me) with a white man (him), they laugh and stare and gossip to their friends also. They are pissed!! I even had one take a photo of me on her cell phone and sent it to someone. They are just as ignorant and intolerant as some of the black women are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.