Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM

146 posts, read 639,725 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a website called NumbersUSA NumbersUSA | For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/ - broken link)

This organization's main goal is to limit immigration into America and reduce our population growth. I am conflicted on this.

On one hand one only has to look at California and see the impact of rapid immigration and population growth. I remember living in CA in the 1970s when you could go to any community college or State University for free and the sales tax was 4% (it is now 8.5%). The lifestyle was free and easy and only 20 million people lived in the whole State. (95% of the people lived on 2% of the land) Now there is 45 million.

Here in Oregon the population of metro Portland has doubled since the 1970s.

On the other hand I flew over the entire country recently on a very clear day and hardly saw a town or a building until I got east of the Mississippi.

They say America will have another 200 million people by 2050. Is there room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,594,600 times
No,there is no more room.
If they are illegal they should go !

Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM

510 posts, read 525,258 times
Yeah, there's plenty of room. With smarter growth, our country can hold a large portion more people comfortably without too much trouble. The growth would just have to be in some of the smaller cities (focusing on increasing use of already developed areas).

Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
200 million more people and this man is packing his bags and heading to Norway!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM

720 posts, read 2,658,882 times
Def. enough room.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,182,476 times
We better buy up and store a lot of bottled water. I hear that Texas will have huge shortage. And it's already beginning.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times
Texas' water problems are not going to be too big of a deal. One of the largest underground aquifers in the world sits below TX, OK, KS, and NE. There's already someone trying to sell the DFW area on the idea of buying water from it and having a pipeline system established. Dallas thinks it can solve the issue without piping in water, at least for now they do. I think it would be a great idea to have a back up plan though, in case of a long lasting, severe drought.

As far as space goes though, yes, 200million more will fit. I would hope we start doing a lot smarter things with all of our resources though. Food will have to be available on a much more efficient supply than it is now.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I was looking at a website called NumbersUSA NumbersUSA | For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/ - broken link)

This organization's main goal is to limit immigration into America and reduce our population growth. I am conflicted on this.

On one hand one only has to look at California and see the impact of rapid immigration and population growth. I remember living in CA in the 1970s when you could go to any community college or State University for free and the sales tax was 4% (it is now 8.5%). The lifestyle was free and easy and only 20 million people lived in the whole State. (95% of the people lived on 2% of the land) Now there is 45 million.

Here in Oregon the population of metro Portland has doubled since the 1970s.

On the other hand I flew over the entire country recently on a very clear day and hardly saw a town or a building until I got east of the Mississippi.

They say America will have another 200 million people by 2050. Is there room?
There's a reason for that. Well, two reasons. One, there is slope and aspect considerations when it comes to the Rocky Mountain states. We can't build within areas where the terrain is too radical. But more importantly, water, and access to it, will become the big driver when it comes to future population settlements. Forget about peak oil: peak water will make this epidemic look like child's play. And therein lies the problem with regard to future settlement. The entire desert southwest is the first to be threatened, and other areas with low and small groundwater tables (such as much of Florida) will be next.

Where our founding fathers originally settled, (i.e. the Northeast) is the area of the country suited to take in much of the population. Unfortunately, this is the area that is most densely populated. So, in conclusion, I'd have to say that one more person as far as I am concerned is too many. I believe we are already on the precipice of a major crisis.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM

146 posts, read 639,725 times
If you could convince everyone to live in Hong Kong and Singapore type Cities in the future there would be plenty of room. But due to human nature and economics most people will continue to want space and will fill in and sprawl all over the place adding to greenhouse gases, tree loss and reduce farm land. Also Americans use alot more energy than people in other countries so 200 million more Americas will cause more global warming and other environmental issues than a similar amount of people living in South America.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
oh please no more people! the city i live in is sooo overcrowded. we need to get rid of alot of people already here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.