Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 AM

19 posts, read 196,990 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I've seen the similar post here, it was related with having a plan to move to the US but my problem is more... complex. I'm from Poland, 20 year old student of law. I always love reading about your country, history but mainly culture. Almost everyone from my country if they emigrate.... they emigrate to other countries of the European Union. But they do it for work and they're going to come back to Poland. My situation is different: I'd love to move to the US but I'd like to settle there, start a family, work and live. At the university I try to create my own way of education, I mean choosing elective subjects like: american law, international law etc. And my question is: do I have any opportunities to work in my field (law) if I choose electives related to american & international system of law. I dream about work in this field but can an immigrant apply for this jobs in the US? maybe it's the sphere 'only for Americans'? I will be grateful if you answer this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyedsoul87 View Post
Hey,

I've seen the similar post here, it was related with having a plan to move to the US but my problem is more... complex. I'm from Poland, 20 year old student of law. I always love reading about your country, history but mainly culture. Almost everyone from my country if they emigrate.... they emigrate to other countries of the European Union. But they do it for work and they're going to come back to Poland. My situation is different: I'd love to move to the US but I'd like to settle there, start a family, work and live. At the university I try to create my own way of education, I mean choosing elective subjects like: american law, international law etc. And my question is: do I have any opportunities to work in my field (law) if I choose electives related to american & international system of law. I dream about work in this field but can an immigrant apply for this jobs in the US? maybe it's the sphere 'only for Americans'? I will be grateful if you answer this post.
I think you can make it work and there's no reason why you couldn't practice law in America if you were qualified and passed the appropriate bar exams. For a specific course of study and finding opportunity to make it permanent, it seems to me finding the right university or college here in the U.S. might be best for you. I'd imagine if you studied here and then got your degree here in American law, you'd also have access to job leads and that could lead to your getting a greencard if sponsored by a suitably impressed prospective employer.
I know nothing about law or where to study it or of opportunities that might be forthcoming from it, but I imagine you can research that and come up with answers too! Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:31 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
You will want to become qualified and develop expertise in a field that is in high demand and can not be readily filled by a US citizen or outsourced to a developing county.

Just having a law degree will not be enough. You might want to contact some of your Polish counter parts in the US to see what they suggest.

There is so, so much information that you need, but this is a very small starting point.

Also, if you decide to come to the US do your research on visas, job market, talk to firms who practise international law, etc. Good luck to you.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
You can, however, apply to law schools here in the States--many have alien (non-US) entry applications.

New York University Law School, for example, may be someplace to contact and inquiry about studies. When an applicant is accepted, the school provides documentation for a student visa (generally referred to as a J1 visa) for the duration of study (only).

International law, sub-specialty, is common for those interested in law inside and beyond the US.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
check out the American Bar Assocation's website for licensing requirements. I know from working for a big international law firm in Chicago that many of our foreign lawyers had to go back to law school for a couple years to take the coursework required in order to sit for the American bar exam.

Good luck! Chicago has a large Polish community if you are interested in moving there.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
If you speak fluent English, I don't see how you couldn't work in Law. I also recommend the Chicago area if you are Polish, the community there is very large and you may have more opportunities. Best of luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
HES87, your English writing skills are better than most people here in the US whose first language is English. I speak Spanish and German quite well as "second languages" but I know my writing skills in those languages don't equal your ability to write in English. Have you lived outside of Poland before? If you learned English that well as a student in Poland, then I am really impressed - you will no doubt do well in your chosen field. Best of luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
As others have stated, the best way to get to the U.S. from abroad, is to apply to various post-graduate schools, either grad school, law school or PhD programs in the U.S. It will serve you best to apply to a good number of small schools as well to increase the likelihood of getting accepted as many smaller schools seek out international students to add some diversity to their campuses. Then while studying here, it will allow you to network and make social and professional connections that would make finding sponsorship or securing some sort of work visa infinitely easier. It's much easier to figure your way through the red tape once you're actually in the country, as opposed ot sitting across a computer screen half a world away.

I also have to compliment you on your English skills as well. I'm very impressed.
Quote:
I dream about work in this field but can an immigrant apply for this jobs in the US? maybe it's the sphere 'only for Americans'? I will be grateful if you answer this post.
There are no career fields "only for Americans" in the United States. Immigrants are open to become anything they want to be. Except for President .

Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 29,622 times
Good luck. I'm looking to move from Toronto myself to Texas to live and enjoy life with my Girlfriend. From what I can tell so far, you need to go to a US Embassy or Consulate in Poland and get information about immigration. Perhaps even see an immigration lawyer who will have most of the answers to your technical questions.

You would also need an employer lined up willing to sponsor you in a field that is not already overflowing with willing American workers. Which fields and whatnot are available at the State Department Website.

Your country of origin in also taken into consideration in terms of quota's and you may have to provide background checks and whatnot.

It's a slightly different and easier process for me since I'm Canadian but that's the basic idea.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:04 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Is the economy in Poland really that awful right now? I have no idea, but I can tell you that the streets in the United States are no longer paved with gold. Decades ago the U.S. had a thriving and expanding middle class, however, that is no longer the case. Rather, the American middle class is shrinking and the nation will soon face a population explosion and a great many social problems. Given that and all of the obstacles that you would have to face in obtaining a green card and citizenship, you might be better off staying in Poland. The United States is on its way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.