U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I know that there are several threads similar to this but I have been unable to find anything specific...

My husband and I are a young (27-28 yrs) childless couple living in Phoenix AZ. I am a prefessional civil engineer and my husband is an auto paint and body repair tech. Our average income is $100K a year. My husband has several muscle cars in various stages and I have a horse (I ride dressage and jumpers) which I am currently boarding. Currently we cannot afford a house within 45 min. of Phoenix where we can have acreage for our hobbies (Foreclosed houses meeting this are at $350K). My husband would eventually like to open his own body shop, which has become almost impossible here with shop rent averaging $7K/month.

We are are looking to move to a city at about 300,000 - 500,000 people where we could afford a home and property (minimum 2 acres) within 45 min from the city. We would prefer an area with pastures and trees with minimal snow (we were both born and raised in small town Arizona and don't handle the cold well). Really high humidity makes my husband's job more difficult, so we would like to avoid that if possible. We are not interested in the brown sea of houses with HOA's and prefer older quality homes. To put it into perspective, SoCal would be hell for us.

We have looked at Austin, but are scared that we would be even farther away from our goals of owning our own home. We are misrable in Phoenix because of the hectic lifestyle and want to find a place we can truly call our own.

I know we have thrown a lot of parameters out there, but we have not traveled much and would like any imput you could offer to get us started on our search. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 AM

1,575 posts, read 6,019,448 times
Kentucky was the first state that came to mind when I read the title of your post re "horses and muscle cars." I suppose either Lexington or Louisville would do. It does get humid in the summer though!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:33 AM

12,869 posts, read 36,455,792 times
Kentucky also gets more snow than, say, Tennessee. Summers in Knoxville can get humid and sticky for a few weeks, but the rest of the year is very tolerable. This past week, for example, our lows at night have been in the upper 50s/lower 60s with highs in the mid 80s. In an average summer the temps get over 90 something like 6 days. It rarely snows more than a couple of inches in the entire winter. Last summer was ridiculously hot, but it was one of those summers that comes around only once a century or so.

Or the Tri Cities of Northeast Tennessee, metro population of around 500,000, might be worth checking out. The largest town, Johnson City, has about 60,000. Because of its higher elevations it has very mild summers, and it rarely snows more than an inch or two in the winter.

The cost of living in Knoxville and the Tri Cities is very reasonable, you could easily get acreage for a heck of a lot less than in Arizona, plus it's green and beautiful, with lots of big lakes and mountains. Great for raising horses. And Tennessee's over-all tax burden is among the lowest in the country. According to the Tax Foundation, only NH and Alaska have lower tax burdens.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,938 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate any help I can get. We are actually flying into Nashville in October for a wedding in Huntville Alabama. We are going to drive around the south a bit to check it out.

I think that we are a little more flexible with the town size than I stated in my previous post and could go down to 100,000 population easily (my husband and I are from a 6,000 pop town and we do not want to go that small again!). I will definitley check out the tri-city area in Tennessee as well.

I think that Kentucky might be alittle to cold for us if it snow regularly. But I will definitley keep it on my list of places to check out.

Thank you again for all of your help! Please keep it coming...

Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM

988 posts, read 3,041,403 times
I got another one of my lists here so here we go:

Amarillo, Texas
It seems to be a big mechanical area, which would be good for Cars im thinking. The area a little to the north has some real nice open land, probably good for a horse. Snow might be an issue, but there is not much and it's below the US average of Snow. Most snow is in January and then expect a quick thaw and back to warm weather.

Ocala, Florida
I was suprised during my first trip to this region, how much open rolling land there was in between Orlando and Ocala. You won't have to worry about much snow here, and North Central Florida isn't half as touristy and crazy as areas on the Coast. I remember being shocked at all the orchards and yes even a few horse farms, right off the Ronald Regan Turnpike in towns like Okahumpka or Wildwood. And this area is in close proximity to Orlando and Ocala. The only problem is the humidity during the morning is real high, but the afternnon and evening has average and good humidity levels.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM

44,255 posts, read 59,427,446 times
El Paso will give you that desert climate (though not as hot as Phoenix b/c of elevation) with access still to the river. Lots of inexpensive land to be had. I've seen a lot of farm/ranches out north of the city (some a little into New Mexico). No snow, no humidity.

East Texas, like Texarkana, will give you the same thing with more green and more humidity. However, "the big city" will be a ways off.

North of Dallas, there's quite a bit of land - even just 45 minutes up the highway. There is some humidity in the summer, but the winters are mild with only a little snow here and there (which barely ever sticks).

Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 AM

3,436 posts, read 6,471,141 times
Wow as soon as i opened this i thought to my self but forsure.. EspaƱola, New Mexico would be great for you but its city-proper population only stands at 9,549 but the metro is at 183,782. It's a great place to open a shop and the area is great for horse riding

Old 08-17-2008, 11:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,036,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horses&cars View Post
I think that Kentucky might be alittle to cold for us if it snow regularly.
Honey nothing in Kentucky weather-wise happens regularly

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

351 posts, read 594,936 times
Louisville, KY.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,211,511 times
How about Tucson? Its not far away from Phoenix and I have a cousin who owns a horse there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.