U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,021,846 times

Advertisements

Here are links to organizations trying to extend the summer break for our kids to what it used to be. It is mainly Southern states plus Indiana. Check it out! Other States
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM

8,605 posts, read 15,657,226 times
I don't know, when I was in school we had the "alternative calendar." I always liked it. Summer breaks are too long anyway. Longer breaks during the year at the expense of a shorter summer break, I actually prefered that.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:32 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,557,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I don't know, when I was in school we had the "alternative calendar." I always liked it. Summer breaks are too long anyway. Longer breaks during the year at the expense of a shorter summer break, I actually prefered that.

I agree.

Summer break is too long, kids get bored and then find ways to get into trouble. I would prefer a year 'round schedule with evenly spaced breaks throughout the year.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I agree.

Summer break is too long, kids get bored and then find ways to get into trouble. I would prefer a year 'round schedule with evenly spaced breaks throughout the year.
I never got bored. I always had things to do or made up things to do and no, I didn't get into alot of trouble

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

29,909 posts, read 9,355,313 times
year-around schedule? com'on now THAT get's boring

nah, where I used to live in GA, we had 8-week summers, and a break every 6 weeks, like the first break was in Late September, the next break was Thanksgiving, the next was winter break, etc. I thought it was perfect

Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,617,048 times
Here in Wisconsin it worked like this..... For most cities throughout the state...

We are required to have 180 School days per school year.
Start day after Labor Day
2 days off for Haloween in October
2 days off for Thanksgiving in November
Then go to school till the 23rd of December, and not go back till the 2nd or 3rd of January.

Then we wouldn't have off till last week of March for Spring break,

Then Good Friday in April

Memorial day in May...

School ends in early June.... So we had off about 11-12 weeks for summer break....
I always liked the idea of a nice long summer break.

Missy, It's kinda coincidental that you mention this because I have a friend who goes to school in Kentucky that used to have like a 2 month summer break and then more week long breaks through the year. I guess that would be kinda nice for seasonal family vacations....

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Here in Wisconsin it worked like this..... For most cities throughout the state...

We are required to have 180 School days per school year.
Start day after Labor Day
2 days off for Haloween in October
2 days off for Thanksgiving in November
Then go to school till the 23rd of December, and not go back till the 2nd or 3rd of January.

Then we wouldn't have off till last week of March for Spring break,

Then Good Friday in April

Memorial day in May...

School ends in early June.... So we had off about 11-12 weeks for summer break....
I always liked the idea of a nice long summer break.

Missy, It's kinda coincidental that you mention this because I have a friend who goes to school in Kentucky that used to have like a 2 month summer break and then more week long breaks through the year. I guess that would be kinda nice for seasonal family vacations....
YOU GET OFF FOR HALLOWEEN????? That is not fair at all lol We don't We used to get out the beginning of June and not go back until after Labor Day.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM

31,719 posts, read 72,419,019 times
If it were up to me I'd prefer to go to school year-round, four days per week. Students could have the option to "opt-out" for 1-2 weeks per year as well as excused absences for family vacation(s), and truancy policies would become a bit more liberal.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,016,221 times
Much more prefer summer break... that perspective from both my time as a kid and also as a parent...

Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,617,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
YOU GET OFF FOR HALLOWEEN????? That is not fair at all lol We don't We used to get out the beginning of June and not go back until after Labor Day.

You say that isn't fair, but my friend who attends school in Kentucky says that Kentucky gets more vacations then Wisconsin. She attended school here prior to moving to Kentucky. She likes how the school calender is down there versus ours. In Kentucky she gets off for days like Martin Luther King Jr. day, I realize it's a holiday but I'm not sure about taking they school day off.

And as Scrann-barre said about truancies, they do need to be more liberal about them. I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.