Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. Some western cities have large amounts of undeveloped land within their boundaries, so are actually more dense in the areas where the people live, than the numbers show. Denver annexed a large amount of undeveloped land to build its airport, so the pop. density there computes as lower than it actually is.
similar here.. about 50% of the city limits are "seawater" and swamp so you have places where there maybe 0-5 people in an entire zip code. The true density should fall under or around Miami somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I debunked the urban legend that suburbanites all drive 8 (or 10, or whatever) miles to buy a gallon of milk in metro Denver with this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ease-vote.html

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM

196 posts, read 992,522 times
No I've simply been to those cities and driving around there entire time was no fun. Nor were the desolate sidewalks and sterile office park nature of those places.

Most sprawl cities are landscaping nightmares that were poorly planned.....having a carton of milk 5 minutes away doesn't change that.

But we all have different tastes so who can say which is the most perfect....

Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
good point. why drive 1,2 or 8 miles to get a gallon of milk, when you can walk 2 blocks? or on your block in your case.
I live in Houston and I WALK one block to get a gallon of milk.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
No I've simply been to those cities and driving around there entire time was no fun. Nor were the desolate sidewalks and sterile office park nature of those places.

Most sprawl cities are landscaping nightmares that were poorly planned.....

There is a problem here as well. There are alot of areas of so called sprawlvilles where you DON'T have to drive the entire time. There are also sterile office parks in areas of the Boston metro as well as strip malls and all the other things that Northeasterners think only exist in the sunbelt.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post

Most sprawl cities are landscaping nightmares that were poorly planned.....having a carton of milk 5 minutes away doesn't change that.

First, suburbanites all drive their behemoth SUVs 10 miles to buy a gallon of milk and nothing more. (As if any of us have time to do THAT!) Then, when shown that is not the case, they're bad anyway, "desolate" and "sterile", but hey, "we all have different tastes". What cities are you talking about?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM

25 posts, read 25,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
There is one problem with this comment though. I live in Houston near downtown and I can walk out my door and have all those amenities very close, yet also have my own space with a small yard. The best of both worlds. Not that dependent on my car either and yes I have lived in a so called "real city" and no it isn't as good as here.

I think people in so called "real cities" just complain about stereotyped "sprawlvilles" because A) they are jealous of the freedom we have and space we have B) becuase they can't comprehend the fact that their so dense urban cities have as much car dependent sprawl as these sunbelt cities (don't many people commute from outside 495 to Boston, don't even TRY and say no either) and C) they have never been to one of these cities

great statment.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 25,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
There is one problem with this comment though. I live in Houston near downtown and I can walk out my door and have all those amenities very close, yet also have my own space with a small yard. The best of both worlds. Not that dependent on my car either and yes I have lived in a so called "real city" and no it isn't as good as here.

I think people in so called "real cities" just complain about stereotyped "sprawlvilles" because A) they are jealous of the freedom we have and space we have B) becuase they can't comprehend the fact that their so dense urban cities have as much car dependent sprawl as these sunbelt cities (don't many people commute from outside 495 to Boston, don't even TRY and say no either) and C) they have never been to one of these cities

great statment. Yet I still like density

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM

196 posts, read 992,522 times
Of course there are...I have seen plenty. But thankfully for my tastes that style has no direct part in my daily life.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
ok, ok, so my theory has been debunked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.