Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Actually you are wrong

for household income- the average family in greater Hartford with the local median income - can afford to pay for the median price of a single family home. The median price of a single family home is around 255K- slightly above the national median- household income is over 70K per year- which qualifies most families.

That percentage by the way is near 67%.

Median SFH prices are higher in Baltimore- with lower family incomes. Hartford metro has SFH prices 100K lower then Boston- why compare the two?
In a recent string here someone posted a county by county run down of the number of foreclosures in each state. Judging by the number of foreclosures in CT and around the country, it is apparent that lending companies were making loans to people that could not afford their homes. Try to find a decent home in any CT community for less than 150 to 200k is virtually impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
In a recent string here someone posted a county by county run down of the number of foreclosures in each state. Judging by the number of foreclosures in CT and around the country, it is apparent that lending companies were making loans to people that could not afford their homes. Try to find a decent home in any CT community for less than 150 to 200k is virtually impossible.
Connecticut's real estate market is holding up far better then many other areas of the nation- as well as the local economy. Home and condo prices never got out of control- foreclosures are up but are far less then then Ohio, Michigan, California, Florida, AZ, Nevada etc

If you want to pay 150-200K here- 200K is certainly doable in eastern CT- where the median home price is around 215K.

If you want to live for 150K or less consider Pittsburgh or Cleveland or perhaps Indianapolis, which geographically are out of the northeast.

Finding a home at the prices you suggest anywhere along the northeastern megalopolis is going to be very difficult.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
On the east coast, Philadelphia and Baltimore are the two least expensive cities to live in. Both have great neighborhoods and nice downtowns. They don't have the flair of NYC or Boston but they are close enough.
I think Philly has a lot of flair, probably more than Boston.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Aside from NYC and Bos, very few high-income jobs in rest of Northeast, so lower COL also entails dead-end, lower-inc careers...

And, unlike TX, older Northeast/Midwest states are saddled w/high state income taxes, to pay for their much older infrastructure and deeper entitlement/welfare programs....
The first part of this quote is an extreme assessment. Second part is pretty much true, though, other than maybe New Hampshire.

What size city is the op interested in? I'm thinking that most of the larger cities that fit have been named. Except possibly Buffalo and maybe some of the other decent-sized cities in upstate NY, like Rochester and Syracuse. If you're thinking of a smaller or mid-sized city, think of PA, upstate NY, northern New England.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The first part of this quote is an extreme assessment. Second part is pretty much true, though, other than maybe New Hampshire.

What size city is the op interested in? I'm thinking that most of the larger cities that fit have been named. Except possibly Buffalo and maybe some of the other decent-sized cities in upstate NY, like Rochester and Syracuse. If you're thinking of a smaller or mid-sized city, think of PA, upstate NY, northern New England.
I think I'm heading for the cheaper Midwest. I've done some research and the COL is just too high in the Northeast with no town/city I'm interested in having the best overall package of what I'm looking for. Some cities are relatively safe, but not affordable; some are pretty, but have few jobs, etc. Plus, my line of work actually pays about the same or less there than it pays here, and that's before factoring in state income tax.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
providence? spend the money and go to boston, lol.

houstoner,

where in the midwest are you looking?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
providence? spend the money and go to boston, lol.

houstoner,

where in the midwest are you looking?
Yeah, I was looking at the NE because I've got family in Boston. But I'm the poor relation who can't afford to live there.

I've got my eye on Madison. Or possibly Minneapolis. I have a good friend who moved to Minneapolis from Austin many years ago and she loves it. In the end it will largely depend on where I land a job. But I'm leaning towards Madison.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
i live in columbus, lol, no rich man here.

i've never been to madison or twin cities, but i've heard good things across the board, minus weather. houston summers to minneapolis winters...considering madison and a nor'easter...let me guess...you like extreme weather?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
i live in columbus, lol, no rich man here.

i've never been to madison or twin cities, but i've heard good things across the board, minus weather. houston summers to minneapolis winters...considering madison and a nor'easter...let me guess...you like extreme weather?
Haha! No, can't say that I like it, but weather is low on my priority list. It doesn't matter to me nearly as much as other quality of life factors. I'll acclimate to the weather wherever I live. No use whining about it.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 PM

75 posts, read 273,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scranbarre View Post
i know i'm going to get shot for this, but scranton? at the very least we have "the office" to keep you amused! Lol!
Haha! :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.