Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times

Advertisements

In Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama, Atlanta-based Rich's was bought by Federated Department Stores which later changed the name to Rich's-Macy's for a year or two, before dropping the Rich's and becoming strictly Macy's.

What's weird is that we had already had Macy's in our market. Macy's simply closed their original store, rebadged the Rich's stores Rich's-Macy's, and then dropped the Rich's becoming Macy's. In Cumberland Mall in the Atlanta area, Rich's and Macy's were right across from each other. The original Macy's store was closed. Shortly after, Rich's had a new logo, "Rich's-Macy's". Two years later, down comes the Rich's, and its Macy's, in the old Rich's location across from the old Macy's store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
My Fault, thinking of Sears ( I think) over there....I meant off of Diversey & Pulaski--Macy's(Logan Square)
That's a warehouse that occasionally has outlet sales. Not really a proper Macy's.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People kill me complaining about Macys. If Marshall Fields, Hetchs, Strawberries and the other companies that Macy's took over were any good, why arent they still around. It's obvious that people didn't put up too much of a fight or support these stores in the first place. No one is proclaiming Macys to be Nordstrom-like but they are ok in my book. BTW- Marshall Fields was like Macys flagship store in NYC.
See, that's exactly why Macy's is so hated in Chicago -- because the consumer did tell them in no uncertain not to mess with the Marshall Fields' brand, customer service, and merchandise quality and selection. And Macy's response was "screwyou, we're Macy's now, take it or leave it." And so Chicago has made a loud-and-clear effort to leave it.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
I guess if an area doesn't have Macy's, then it's pretty popular.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Quote:
People kill me complaining about Macys. If Marshall Fields, Hetchs, Strawberries and the other companies that Macy's took over were any good, why arent they still around. It's obvious that people didn't put up too much of a fight or support these stores in the first place. No one is proclaiming Macys to be Nordstrom-like but they are ok in my book. BTW- Marshall Fields was like Macys flagship store in NYC.
No, these other dept stores didn't go out of business--they were BOUGHT by Macy's. There's a big difference between that and "not being around."

The Macy's near me are really struggling, based on my observations...lots of hostility from locals loyal to previous dept store...lots of sales to try to get people in...lots of empty areas.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
John,

I understand that they were bought out. But they were also struggling.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
*sighs* I really hate my area for not having a Macy's, Mitsubishi car dealership, Kohl's, Target, and Lowe's yet. They are building Lowe's 30 minutes away in Paso Robles, and we already have Target in Paso. We also have Kohl's in Paso. But we don't have a Macy's and Mitsubishi car dealership in the county and that drives me crazy.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,315 times
Quote:
These stores are not around because of a merger, not because of decling sales. Federated was more concerned about saving money than retaining customers.

As far a people not putting up a fight, it's obvious you never paid any attention to the Macy's takeover because people were furious about their local department stores, particularly with Fields in Chicago becoming Macy's. Now look what's happen; people in Chicago don't shop at Macys.

If Macy's is so great why did Prada, Ben Sherman, Gucci and Thomas Pink pull their mechandise from Marshall Field's stores once they became Macy's? Also, why are the converted Macy's stores struggling? If Macy's is such a great store, why are they doing so bad? Face it. Macys is a average store with overprice junk.

As for Macys flagship store being like Marshall Fields; why just this one store? That really tells you something about how great Marshall Fields was if they were able to offer similar selection to a flagship store in NYC.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I don't think too many people in the upper midwest like them. I liked Marshall Field's much better.

When did Macy's become upscale?
i am in chicago and like them. i was "attached" to fields as well but Macy's just has a better selection IMO. of course everything is overpriced but i guess that's the trade off.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Macy's is not upscale.
Maybe not in your area but here in nyc it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.