Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the worst Humidity?
Miami 32 42.67%
Houston 35 46.67%
Los Angeles 2 2.67%
San Diego 1 1.33%
Washington D.C. 12 16.00%
Dallas 4 5.33%
Atlanta 7 9.33%
New Orleans 26 34.67%
Orlando 16 21.33%
San Antonio 8 10.67%
Phoenix 0 0%
Santa Fe 0 0%
All sunbelt cities 3 4.00%
other 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I spent 20+ years in Houston's thick, soupy, humid mess. No, it does not get better with time. I had a backyard pool, too. When I first put the pool in, the water temp got up to 94 degrees. It was miserable--bath water. I put in a couple of palm trees on the western side of the pool for shade and it dropped it down to about 90 degree water temp. on the worst days. The humidity just made the whole thing a steamy, disgusting swamp.

Houston's Achilles' heel will always be humidity. Residents will kid themselves and say they like it, but it is disgusting. When it's so hot and sticky that you can't even cool off in a pool; when you sweat within seconds of being outside; when mosquitoes swarm at all hours of the day and night; when DAMAGING storms roll through with great frequency; when the moisture in the air mixes with the pollution to make a constantly whitish looking sky; when mold grows on any surface that doesn't get sunlight--it isn't charming or part of the identity of a place, it's filthy and horrid.

There are certainly more rigorous climates than Houston's, but not for major cities with world-class aspirations. Yes, Houston's apologists will tell you that Spring and Fall are pleasant and they are right. It's only a few weeks of respite from the months of swamp-crotch, alternating severe drought and torrential rain, swarms of insects and shameful air pollution though.

95 in Houston often produces a 102 heat index, with little wind to help. A thunderstorm will cool things off for a moment, then turn on the sauna with visible steam rising.

Don't believe the hype. There are those who will say they love it. They will say the "mild" winters are worth it. They are not. there are occasional ice storms in winter and the humidity makes the 40s and occasional 30s feel very cold. An icy day is often followed by one in the 70s, which just makes people sick. Some will say the thunderstorms are charming. They are not. The floods are Biblical and they happen yearly. The winds do damage and down trees and power lines. The hail damages cars and homes. They are no joke. The droughts kill lawns and landscaping and buckle concrete sidewalks, they are so severe. The last summer I was there, we spent 60 days with high temperatures over 100 degrees and no rain, yet high humidity. It was like living in a humid desert, if you can imagine such a thing.

Houston and New Orleans get my vote for the worst humidity. Both cities have horribly high humidity exacerbated by their urban heat islands, high temps and poor air quality. They are both sweat boxes, plain and simple.
And you wonder why I have a problem with your posts. Well, it's that self-righteous, arrogant mindset...right there in bold print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about a thread called "Which city has the BEST humidity?" I actually prefer humid conditions.

No one would expect me to say it, but Metro Matt is making a little bit more sense than most of everyone else in this thread. He IS right in saying that many Houstonians do not mind and function rather well in the humidity. He's also right in saying that Houston is commonly picked on for things that other cities have as well. Case in point: New Orleans is actually stickier than we are, but several posters have incorrectly attributed the most persistent humidity to Houston.

Other posters are relying too heavily on their personal biases for the "right" answers; including excessive rants that exaggerate the prevalence of what they deem to be uncomfortable weather.

As for the heat and humidity that some of our fellow posters are too fragile to tolerate, I'll continue to appreciate it. I don't know what I'd do without these in my life:

Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And you wonder why I have a problem with your posts. Well, it's that self-righteous, arrogant mindset...right there in bold print.
No, I don't wonder. What made you think that?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
No, I don't wonder. What made you think that?
Well, that would be your "what did I do?" replies in numerous threads.

But, yeah, keep telling yourself that it's just the irrational booster in me that has a problem with the things you say. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you insist on presenting your own personal opinions as the gospel truth.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Well, that would be your "what did I do?" replies in numerous threads.

But, yeah, keep telling yourself that it's just the irrational booster in me that has a problem with the things you say. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you insist on presenting your own personal opinions as the gospel truth.
No, I don't think it's that, either. I assume you don't like my posts because you disagree with them.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think it's that, either. I assume you don't like my posts because you disagree with them.
No, it's most certainly my last statement. I have no problem with someone not being able to tolerate high humidity. In fact, I completely understand it. My objections come in when that person claims that anyone who feels different is "kidding themselves". I'll respect you if you're willing to own up to being that arrogant, though.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Arrogant? Yeah, I go there occasionally. I don't think that's a big secret.

I don't believe I have ever accused you of being "irrational," though. In fact, I have often commented to the contrary.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Arrogant? Yeah, I go there occasionally. I don't think that's a big secret.
I did say I'd respect you for admitting it, but I think someone should let you know that arrogance is a character flaw that's often based on flawed reasoning. I'd think you'd be too smart and well-traveled to let such a thing drive many of your posts, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I'm simply interested in finally understanding why you find it so implausible that someone could love humidity.

There are countless places and environments across this globe that are simply NOT for me, but I don't derogate those who love them.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I did say I'd respect you for admitting it, but I think someone should let you know that arrogance is a character flaw that's often based on flawed reasoning. I'd think you'd be too smart and well-traveled to let such a thing drive many of your posts, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess I'm simply interested in finally understanding why you find it so implausible that someone could love humidity.

There are countless places and environments across this globe that are simply NOT for me, but I don't derogate those who love them.
Okay, but there is a difference between acting in an arrogant way and arrogance being a character trait, wouldn't you agree? I have even noted instances of your arrogance on this site. It isn't beyond any of us.

As for the bit about people who like humidity--sure, I will concede that it is possible. I still believe it's more of a "tolerance" kind of thing, though. I don't think I can ever recall a hot, sticky day in Houston where I heard, "I sure wish it were more humid."

I found Houston quite uncomfortable most of the year. Austin, for example, which gets even hotter, I found more comfortable at night, when the lower humidity allowed things to cool off a bit more. Better?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Okay, but there is a difference between acting in an arrogant way and arrogance being a character trait, wouldn't you agree? I have even noted instances of your arrogance on this site. It isn't beyond any of us.
Not in the way I've seen you exhibit it. For example, you've never seen me say that you were "kidding yourself" for reveling in the persistent fog and cloudiness of San Francisco.

Quote:
As for the bit about people who like humidity--sure, I will concede that it is possible. I still believe it's more of a "tolerance" kind of thing, though. I don't think I can ever recall a hot, sticky day in Houston where I heard, "I sure wish it were more humid."
Because if it were any more humid, we'd all be swimming to work. For me, there's a "perfect" level of humidity, just like there are perfect temperatures.

It becomes more of a "tolerant" thing when it's 97 with stagnant air. It's tropical luxury at 85 with pristine clouds and a Gulf breeze. If you'd ask me to trade either for a SF summer, I wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.