Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the worst Humidity?
Miami 32 42.67%
Houston 35 46.67%
Los Angeles 2 2.67%
San Diego 1 1.33%
Washington D.C. 12 16.00%
Dallas 4 5.33%
Atlanta 7 9.33%
New Orleans 26 34.67%
Orlando 16 21.33%
San Antonio 8 10.67%
Phoenix 0 0%
Santa Fe 0 0%
All sunbelt cities 3 4.00%
other 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times

Advertisements

Humidity =/= mugginess. A lot of coastal cities will be very humid but not as muggy due to ocean breezes and ocean moderating temperatures.

a 70% humid day at 90F in Orlando feels much worse than a 70% humid 90F day in South Beach simply because of the wind we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM

148 posts, read 228,372 times
Houston.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM

123 posts, read 149,416 times
Columbia, SC. Hottest and muggiest place I have ever been. Watched a football game there in early September and nearly melted.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
It's not 'a city'. It's all east of the Mississippi from the Gulf to the Lakes.

This is true, the only difference is the length of the hot humid season. In July and August it is just as bad in Chicago as it is in Atlanta or Nashville. The cities near the Gulf of Mexico, Florida or all the way up the east coast to NYC or Boston have even worse humidity humidity in mid summer because of their location next to the ocean. The eastern half of the USA is just a humid place, and those of us who live here know that. Just ask any westerner who comes here in the summer not expecting it.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is true, the only difference is the length of the hot humid season. In July and August it is just as bad in Chicago as it is in Atlanta or Nashville. The cities near the Gulf of Mexico, Florida or all the way up the east coast to NYC or Boston have even worse humidity humidity in mid summer because of their location next to the ocean. The eastern half of the USA is just a humid place, and those of us who live here know that. Just ask any westerner who comes here in the summer not expecting it.
Humidity, sure, but not temperature or actual feel (more direct sunlight). GA in August is quite a bit different to live in than Chicago in August, though I agree that it's humid up-and-down the eastern side of the country, and that Chicago has a much shorter hot/humid season than the South.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Humidity, sure, but not temperature or actual feel (more direct sunlight). GA in August is quite a bit different to live in than Chicago in August, though I agree that it's humid up-and-down the eastern side of the country, and that Chicago has a much shorter hot/humid season than the South.
Sun angle is brutal in Florida. I enjoy it, but not comparable to the midwest or northeast.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Who the hell voted for la. LOL
The same people that think California is always hot year round.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Miami has twice the votes of Orlando? Clearly we have a lot of unfamiliarity with the topic at hand here.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Exactly! I avoid traveling anywhere east of Colorado in summer because it's just so disgusting to me. I've lived in Denver and L.A. the past 23 years and can't imagine living in horrible humidity (and the bugs)

And why would L.A., San Diego and Phoenix even be a choice??? Every now and then I'll hear someone complain about the humidity in Denver or L.A. in summer and I just laugh. Real humidity is when you get wet walking from your front door to your car in the driveway. Or you still sweat in the shade.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Miami has twice the votes of Orlando? Clearly we have a lot of unfamiliarity with the topic at hand here.
In reality, Miami is slightly more humid.

Orlando dewpoints:

Miami dewpoints:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And why would L.A., San Diego and Phoenix even be a choice??? Every now and then I'll hear someone complain about the humidity in Denver or L.A. in summer and I just laugh. Real humidity is when you get wet walking from your front door to your car in the driveway. Or you still sweat in the shade.
This would be true if the question was highest humidity, but I can't stand the dry air so those areas truly are "the worst".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.