Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times

Advertisements

Vermont for scenery. Mass for interesting things to do - Boston and the Cape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Hard to choose.

Mass has Boston, the history, and Cape Cod but lacks the mountains.

Vermont has nice mountains, quaint towns, fall foliage (as does everywhere in NE) but lacks the coastline.

Maine has the coast and the wilderness. It also has historic Portland, so I'd probably go for Maine.

NH has what Vermont does but also has a sliver of coastline. It also has the White Mountains.

CT has some nice old towns, but overall it's a little too developed.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hard to choose.

Vermont has nice mountains, quaint towns, fall foliage (as does everywhere in NE) but lacks the coastline.

Maine has the coast and the wilderness. It also has historic Portland, so I'd probably go for Maine.

NH has what Vermont does but also has a sliver of coastline. It also has the White Mountains.

CT has some nice old towns, but overall it's a little too developed.
ahem..... Rhode Island?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
ahem..... Rhode Island?
Oh yeah, RH is just small enough it slips through your memory sometimes .

It's a pity CT and MA were the only New England states I got to visit. I'm lucky I got to visit NE nonetheless, as it was a last minute decision, but I have to return in the Autumn/Fall.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Ahem!

Although I'm a bit suspicious of this last pic, the Berkshires are definitely mountains and quite beautiful. Certainly, they aren't as dramatic as the White or Green mountains, but don't write them off so quickly!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM

^ They look pretty but come on, they're barely even hills let alone mountains!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Mt. Greylock has a summit above 3400ft, so a very large hill/small mountain and quite rocky.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
I come from California originally, so believe me, I get the "why aren't these called hills?" issue. But mountains are technically speaking a geologically defined feature, and low elevation or not, the Berkshires are mountains. And some of them, even at those low elevations, represent rugged hiking conditions. The thing is, though, if you are looking for more serious mountains, New Hampshire is closer to Boston than Western Mass, so I don't really see it as much of an issue. Complaining about a lack of mountains should be reserved for states like Nebraska or Kansas.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I come from California originally, so believe me, I get the "why aren't these called hills?" issue. But mountains are technically speaking a geologically defined feature, and low elevation or not, the Berkshires are mountains. And some of them, even at those low elevations, represent rugged hiking conditions. The thing is, though, if you are looking for more serious mountains, New Hampshire is closer to Boston than Western Mass, so I don't really see it as much of an issue. Complaining about a lack of mountains should be reserved for states like Nebraska or Kansas.
I assume the last one is Mount Greylock?

It looks like something from the Tetons, I do admit.

You should see Australia's highest 'peak.' It barely looks like a hill, more like a meadow! We have lower peaks that look more jagged/impressive.

I think 600 m is a 'mountain' if I remember right.

But if we're comparing scenery, the mountains of MA just doesn't compare to NH.etc.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Massachussetts is pretty much the heart and center of New England, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.