Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I assume the last one is Mount Greylock?

It looks like something from the Tetons, I do admit.
That last image that HenryAlan posted is not of the Berkshires. There is nothing remotely resembling that kind of terrain in western MA. Methinks this is an example of putting too much trust in Google image search.

Here are some actual photos of Mt. Greylock:

Mt. Greylock - Opposite | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cliff View | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
My favorite area of NH is Carroll County due to the diverse range of terrain, lakes, and geology. I can get my geology fix by hiking up the Ossipee Mountain range and looking at volcanic rocks or go out on many of the lakes. Public access is great in the county with many trails and a land conservation ethic that is great. The cost of living in this area is near the national average, but driving distances are longer and jobs are much fewer. Ah yes, the many tradeoffs of life.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Rhode Island is a good one

IMG_3089.JPG by Ben+Sam, on Flickr

Newport Sunset by domenic.izzi, on Flickr

Newport Harbor Lighthouse (Goat Island), Rhode Island by MeYou Vern, on Flickr

The Breakers - Aerial View - Newport, RI, USA by Juan_Carlos_Cruz, on Flickr

Skyline at Night by GoProvidenceRI, on Flickr

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
That last image that HenryAlan posted is not of the Berkshires. There is nothing remotely resembling that kind of terrain in western MA. Methinks this is an example of putting too much trust in Google image search.
Oh well. Got excited for a bit I missed a giant jagged peak in the depths of Western MA.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I figure I'd share this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ome-maine.html

Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 PM

198 posts, read 444,624 times
New Hampshire is best.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM

67 posts, read 165,180 times
I'm going to have to go with 'not Vermont.'

I like all the New England states about equally after that -- all have charming cities, coastlines, etc.

Vermont, on the other hand, has few redeeming qualities -- no beaches, small mountains, and an inexcusably liberal population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
NH has what Vermont does but also has a sliver of coastline. It also has the White Mountains.
Basically this. There's nothing -- absolutely nothing -- Vermont does that NH doesn't do better. The cities are nicer; the mountains are taller; there are real beaches; there's close access to major urban areas; there's a large airport. I'm sorry, but Vermont is like a blight on New England. I don't care for western CT much, either, but the eastern half of that state is at least okay. Vermont, however, simply isn't the same caliber as the other NE states.

If pressed, I'd probably rank them in this order:

1) Rhode Island (lovely beaches, nice cities, cute towns, great weather)
2) Massachusetts (Boston)
3) Maine (New England at its most 'pure')
4) New Hampshire (very, very close to Maine -- love the White Mountains; love the beaches; really like Manchester)
5) Connecticut (Hartford is okay, as is the University of Connectict [No. 1 ranked public university in the northeast, I believe?]. The problem with CT is that there are far, far too many people who wish they were New Yorkers living there. The state has this bipolar issue that renders it only a reluctant member of the rest of the team)
6) Vermont (I don't hate the trees. Seriously, though... get out)

Last edited by YouJustHatetheTruth; 06-05-2012 at 02:16 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 AM

113 posts, read 180,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustHatetheTruth View Post

I like all the New England states about equally after that -- all have charming cities, coastlines, etc.

Vermont, on the other hand, has few redeeming qualities -- no beaches, small mountains, and an inexcusably liberal population.

Basically this. There's nothing -- absolutely nothing -- Vermont does that NH doesn't do better. The cities are nicer; the mountains are taller; there are real beaches; there's close access to major urban areas; there's a large airport. I'm sorry, but Vermont is like a blight on New England. I don't care for western CT much, either, but the eastern half of that state is at least okay. Vermont, however, simply isn't the same caliber as the other NE states.

4) New Hampshire (very, very close to Maine -- love the White Mountains; love the beaches; really like Manchester)
5) Connecticut (Hartford is okay, as is the University of Connectict [No. 1 ranked public university in the northeast, I believe?]. The problem with CT is that there are far, far too many people who wish they were New Yorkers living there. The state has this bipolar issue that renders it only a reluctant member of the rest of the team)
It is like you read my mind! I was born and raised in Vermont and I could not wait to get out of there. Vermont has some beautiful scenery but that is about the only positive thing I can say about it. I tend to be rather conservative in my beliefs so I really felt like a fish out of water in VT.

New Hampshire is the nicest New England state in my opinion. Gorgeous scenery, a big airport in Manchester, close to the coast, and a business friendly atmosphere.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouJustHatetheTruth View Post

You think New Hampshire has nicer cities yet you really like Manchester? That's interesting.

Your post is patently false and uninformed. Do you even know the definition of blight (VT blight on New England)? That word is more aptly described for places like Detroit, not for clean, vibrant, and beautiful states like Vermont. You seem to know very little about Vermont and paint a broad stroke as if it had no redeeming qualities. First how do you determine real beaches in NH? It has a tiny (and crowded) ocean coast that Maine and Massachusetts is head and shoulders above. Now on to lakes, yes NH excels there, but so does Vermont. Vermont has shores on the largest lake in New England; Lake Champlain with great beaches, excellent boating, few crowds, nice islands, and stellar sunsets (best sunset views in New England)! Also Lake Willoughby with its mountain bluffs along its shores is one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever laid eyes on.

Vermont has clean and charming little cities and towns, Burlington has a very vibrant downtown, lakefront, college campus, bicycle trails, and architecture. It also has a large enough airport to connect to large hubs like O'Hare & JFK, and close access to great urban areas like Montreal. Vermont draws in tourists for cool towns with character like Stowe, Manchester, and Middlebury. You state Vermont's mountains are dwarfed, and although NH's mountains are grander, Vermont has the most well developed skiing industry in the east and are still beautiful in their own right. The view of Camels Hump driving out of Burlington among the pastoral fields along I-89 is gorgeous. The hills, mountains, and scenic landscapes of Vermont have a unique pastoral quality all its own without having to sit in traffic, deal with summer crowds, or pay tolls on NH highways. Vermont is a wonderful and beautiful state. You take a stab at it because of liberal politics, as if the other New England states wern't exceedingly liberal? Pffft..., you don't know very much about Vermont. Also apparently the business climate nor the politics arn't that bad in Vermont as it ranked 47th for unemployment rates in April, 2012 at 4.6%. That's well below the national average. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate

Oh by the way, this thread is for telling us about your favorite New England state, not for trolling.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-05-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I would say CT or VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.