Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 12:34 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times

Advertisements

The best small city on the coast? Cheap is good. Mild winters. Mild summers. Please do not suggest cities in Washington or Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The best small city on the coast? Cheap is good. Mild winters. Mild summers. Please do not suggest cities in Washington or Oregon.
What qualifies as mild for you?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
What's your definition of cheap ? What's your idea of a small city- population ? Cheap, coastal and New England do not really belong in the same sentence. The closer to the water you get in New England, the more expensive things get.

However, south east Connecticut coast might work for you depending on your definition of the above.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
What's your definition of cheap ? What's your idea of a small city- population ? Cheap, coastal and New England do not really belong in the same sentence. The closer to the water you get in New England, the more expensive things get.

However, south east Connecticut coast might work for you depending on your definition of the above.
Going North to South, and looking at houses $250,000 and under:

New England:

New Bedford, MA
Warwick, RI
New London, CT
New Haven, CT (some neighborhoods, like Morris Cove, have good beach access)
West Haven, CT

Jersey Shore:

Keansburg, NJ
Red Bank, NJ (probably bad side of town only)
Long Branch, NJ
Tom's River, NJ
Atlantic City/Ventnor, NJ
Wildwood, NJ
Villas, NJ

There is nothing approaching a "city" along the coast which is affordable in Delaware, Maryland, or North Carolina. You could afford something cheaply in some parts of Hampton Roads, but they may be semi-ghetto areas.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
None of those New England cities is in the least bit desirable. They're cheaper for a reason. With the exception of a few parts of New Haven, CT they've all seen better days. New Haven is only a good place to live if you can do it on the expensive side with a high income. Example, taxes in New Haven CT, will run $ 6,000 a year and better for that $ 250,000 home. Add in CT's personal property tax on cars, plus the highest heating costs in the country, not cheap.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
None of those New England cities is in the least bit desirable. They're cheaper for a reason. With the exception of a few parts of New Haven, CT they've all seen better days. New Haven is only a good place to live if you can do it on the expensive side with a high income. Example, taxes in New Haven CT, will run $ 6,000 a year and better for that $ 250,000 home. Add in CT's personal property tax on cars, plus the highest heating costs in the country, not cheap.
Pretty much the same with the NJ ones listed. Coastal + cheap doesn't end very favorably if you want a good, charming, nice area at least.

One of my all time favorites is Cape May, NJ but it's not exactly cheap to live there. I also love York Beach, Maine and coastal Rhode Island.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
If you want cheap and on the coast, that's what you get though. You're not going to do any better than that at a low price point in coastal New England or New Jersey if you want beachfront property in anything resembling a "city."

FWIW, I have been hearing great things about how New Bedford has come along in the last decade. Crime has been dropping, and the downtown has a pretty good nightlife for a city of its size. Not too many jobs in that area of course.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Since the OP included the Mid-Atlantic I would stretch as far south as possible to Wilmington, NC which offers a lower cost of living than most areas along the coast and offers probably the nicest environment at the "less expensive" price point.

Wilmington | Wilmington And Beaches | Cape Fear Coast | Wilmington & Island Beaches

Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Since the OP included the Mid-Atlantic I would stretch as far south as possible to Wilmington, NC which offers a lower cost of living than most areas along the coast and offers probably the nicest environment at the "less expensive" price point.

Wilmington | Wilmington And Beaches | Cape Fear Coast | Wilmington & Island Beaches
My immediate thought. Wilmington tends to fly under the radar compared to sister cities like Charleston and Savannah, and I'm not altogether sure why.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My immediate thought. Wilmington tends to fly under the radar compared to sister cities like Charleston and Savannah, and I'm not altogether sure why.
It's not as pretty of a city as Savannah or Charleston. I heard tons of tv shows/movies are filmed there because it has the appearance of an anytown, USA and I could sense that a little on my visit.

Personally, I thought Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington was one of the nicest beaches and water color I saw on my road trip up the coast from Savannah/Tybee and Charleston/Folly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.