Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times

Advertisements

The American government is in no position to dictate any institution with a religious connotation. Either it should allow civil unions for all and leave marriage to churches (for hetero and gay couples alike), or it should allow marriage for everybody and acknowledge that marriage is secular in nature (do atheists not get married?).

To answer the OP's question, I'm going to go with Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Virginia's color may have changed on CNN's election map last year, but it's still the same ol' Virginny, and it's far from being all that socially "progressive." Virginians voted to enact a constitutional ban on same sex marriage AND same sex civil unions of any kind just a few years ago.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the South at this time. That said, NC is the only state in the Southeast that doesn't have a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.
Gay Marriage only comes to the South through court order from the U.S. Supreme Court. It's possible that NC's courts could rule in favor of gay marriage at some time in the future but I am pretty certain that it would immediately be followed by its own marriage amendment.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Next Gay friendly state may be New York or Rhode Island. Florida...never...almost two thirds(62%) just voted against the gay people...WE're moving when the market improves...not gonna stay where I am not wanted. Gay people need to vote with their feet.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

The Supreme Court will eventually have to get involved...it's a civil rights matter and is being corrected in some states, but there are others that will never do the right thing. So...sooner or later it will be up to the federal government to override those states.
I wouldn't be surprised if one day, DOMA(Defense of Marriage Act) was repealed by future legislation that reverses the effects of this law. Unfortunately, I doubt DOMA will be repealed anytime soon, and probably will very likely not happen during Obama's first term. However, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more gay-friendly Congressmen made an attempt to end DOMA during Obama's first term, and it'd be interesting to see how far they would get in such an attempt.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorwonder View Post
Is Pennsylvania a safe place for people in a Civil Union to live? My partner and I are thinking of moving there but we have no idea if it is "gay friendly". Anyone have any ideas or experiences there?
I live in Philadelphia, and I would say yes to Philadelphia as well as Pittsburgh. A definitive edge going to Philadelphia. Philly has a long history of being gay friendly. The city annually warmly welcomes/hosts the Equality Forum if that's any kind of indication. The rest of the state is pretty sketchy in terms of tolerance.

Equality Forum - About Us

Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
How do you overturn something that the citizens have voted on? Isn't that the point of voting?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
How do you overturn something that the citizens have voted on? Isn't that the point of voting?
apperently you missed the whole civil rights movement in the 60s.

haven't you heard of laws that protect the minority?

Minority rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
apperently you missed the whole civil rights movement in the 60s.

haven't you heard of laws that protect the minority?

Minority rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess that is true too, but why even give the people the right to vote on it if the vote won't stand anyway?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM

I am not sure I would put the gay rights movement next to the civil rights movement of the 60's., I have yet to see a school who has gays seperated from straights, jobs that aren't allowed to them or anything else besides marriage that even remotely mirrors what happened in the black community.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Laws affecting the rights of a minority group should never be put to a popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.